Do you think Taiwan has more luxury cars than other places?

I think it is more noticeable in cultures that put a lot of importance on face and hierarchy. I was in a not very big provincial capital in Thailand living in a not very nice building that was all single rooms. Lots of BMWs, Mercedes in the parking lot.

Not just here, but very noticeable here

2 Likes

Dunno about you, but I am getting fed up with the Teslaā€™s parked wherever they feel like. If itā€™s illegally parked, in a very visible place, itā€™s going to be a Tesla.

Last week I saw one execute a maneuver right in front of the President Office that left me and the guards with our mouths open. And that is not a compliment. Instead of going straight, he turned right on a left lane, jumped on the sidewalk and continued on the same direction as if had been driving straight. Not as if he lost control but rather purposely. What purpose? Unknown.

2 Likes

You can drive both, at the same time.

2 Likes

And here we got another reason, why I resolutely refuse to drive in this country.

I made my license in Germany, the country of cars. If we do know one thing, it is how to properly drive cars - and that is what you need to know, if you have an open speed limit on highways and donā€™t want it to end in a massacre.

Taiwan does not recognize this driving license. Instead, they want me to make one in Taiwan. But when I look around, all I can see are people who donā€™t know how to drive properly, sometimes even to a degree, where I would consider them to mentally disabled, and I mean this exactly the way I am saying it. The example you stated, is one such case.

I have seen cars driving into the little box for scooters to turn left, thinking they are a scooterā€¦ So yeah, noā€¦ I donā€™t want their license, maybe it makes me also lose IQ/EQ when getting it.

1 Like

Definitely donā€™t move to Taoyuan if you think Kaohsiung is bad. It seems unlikely given you prefer the countryside anyway.

1 Like

Driving here is mostly an expression of the bad parts of the culture and I loathe it. I was never a fan but living in sanchong has really pushed me into the ā€˜seething hateā€™ catergory.

4 Likes

Ferrari has workers who have families to feed too. And salesmen who sell them who have families to feed too.

The cars are a livelihood for many people . Thank God for the dummies and assholes as mentioned who buy them

Stupid as rocks people who probably buy Rolexes and montblanc pens and stay at the 4 seasons

The hell !! They can drive a frickin Toyota and wear a timex and stay at motel 6 Stupid as rocks people !!!

( I wish I was as stupid as them and as much of an asshole and owning one and staying at 4 seasons etc)

1 Like

Isnā€™t the typical New Taipei Man or Taoyuan Man equivalent to the Florida Man?
Canā€™t imagine why I would ever go there besides leaving the country via TPE

Good for them, you donā€™t need to be smart here to become rich, all you need is guanxi and a (sometimes very) flexible conscience.

EDIT: I always wondered: Could it be, that surrounding oneself with luxury products is a way for people here to feel international or metropolitan? I canā€™t pinpoint it, but sometimes I got the feeling this is a huge part of the motivation.

1 Like

Yes

SanChong thatā€™ makes this understandable

1 Like

To stay safe here you have to learn how they drive and watch out accordingly

1 Like

Yes, I know. But I also tend to road rage (I am the typical overly correct German dude) and really try to keep my sanity and bloodpressure in a healthy range. Taiwan is better off without having me on the streets and so am I.

2 Likes

You know you

Me my blood pressure drops when I drive

I go Zen on me

I just mean in terms of luxury sports cars they are about 10x more prevalent in Taoyuan than Kaohsiung. Probably because many are factory owners or their sons.

Just a reminder that a lot of those fancy cars are rentals. Would not dare to say most but a significant percentage. So it is wannabes and fake players on the wheel. Thatā€™s why they crash a lot.

2 Likes

Makes sense. Kaohsiung is a workers city while most big businesses usually settle up north. I guess this partially helped create the Sky Dragon City perception in the south.

1 Like

Some say some who look rich are poor who want to be rich while many who look poor are actually rich

Corollary :

Some who look poor actually are poor while some who look rich actually are rich

So basically you have no clue

2 Likes

Or itā€™s as simple as they can afford it and they like it.

1 Like

Or they canā€™t really but still want it :smile_cat:

4 Likes