Do you think Taiwan has more luxury cars than other places?

Peugeot

Does this count?

They’re Mostly Wankers

1 Like

Seems like a lot of trouble to do that, but everyone has different hobbies

Show off car, makes loud noise (seems fake for a e car), youth area in KHH

1 Like

Yes, seems disproportionate. Way too many BMWs and Mercedes. Must be if people buy a car they go all out.
Most of the time, Taiwanese families will share 1 car though.
Wait until the cars start breaking down and getting older, they’re going to wish they didn’t buy a European luxury car. Total maintenance nightmares.

1 Like

All white cars, at 50 for drinks haha, one is seldom I see, a McLaren

1 Like

I haven’t noticed any more luxury cars here in Taiwan compared to the US. Mostly I just see Toyotas everywhere, both here and in the US.

Although whenever I’m in Hong Kong, I do immediately notice a larger proportion of luxury cars.

1 Like

well man, if u can buy a car in HK, u buy it good. So expensive… Besides the moronic alphards, most cars on the Island are fancy ones.

1 Like

I think it’s because in Hong Kong the tax on car ownership is so massive, that nobody keeps old cars around. And the tax basically favors luxury cars.

Yeah there is a law in Hong Kong that prohibits cars that are over 10 or 12(?) years old.

But mostly it’s because there are tons of super wealthy people in Hong Kong. I think it’s got the highest per capita of billionaires in the world, or something.

I think the Alphards are mostly driven by the gangsters. Gangsters here in Taiwan drive those too.

1 Like

And gov officials, so gangsters squared!

1 Like

We see lots of people drive up in groups to the mountains. Sometimes you see 10 guys each in Maserati’s or Porches. So funny when they drive down my local road and ground out on low slung sports cars lol.

1 Like

Also see them at night markets, kind of show off I think

1 Like

There is a finite number of “luxury cars”
But an infinite number of “other places”
So no

Ur about to make some Aussie Ute driver very angry

You know i just learned that’s the name for those and honestly it fits the car perfectly. Stupid, senseless, and fucking ugly.

Also i swear to God next pickup truck i see imma firebomb. Goddamn things almost ran me over two times today. Never see them but when i do, always hate them. Still, nice to have a taste of the cancer of the united states’ roads but here.

1 Like

At least in Hong Kong you really don’t need them, the PT net being what it is. Unlike the USA where having to have a car is basically your “i want to exist outside of my house” tax.

1 Like

In Kaohsiung, I do get the feeling that luxury car ownership has significantly increased in the last 8 years. Also the way how locals drive (be it scooter, car, sagway, bicycle, etc.) has barely improved in that time. Once behind the steering wheel, I get the feeling that people here lose up to 50% of IQ/EQ.

There seems to be a significant correlation between luxury car ownership and rude/inconsiderate behaviour towards others. That’s one of the many reasons why I don’t play the “Show off” game. I decided not to drive at all and rather let Uber ond Taxi drive me wherever trains, MRTs or YouBikes won’t get me. Worked great for 8 years and helps staying in shape by not driving scooter at every opportunity.

But well, I guess my POV is quite different from city folks anyway. Grew up in a rural village with filthy rich land owners and farmers everywhere, but despite being multi-millionairs they live modest lifes (driving a tractor rather than a lambo) and are hardworking and pragmatically growing their agricultural family businesses. I miss that sometimes and am considering moving to countryside, as I have the feeling in Taiwan it is pretty similar.

Society in these huge cities are just so incredibly shallow and materialistic. The richer a part of the city and the fanicier their cars, the less you see them smiling on the streets. Curious, isn’t it?

2 Likes