Do you think Taiwan has more luxury cars than other places?

Your car should be presentable and well-maintained, otherwise you send off the impression that you don’t care about yourself.

1 Like

Exactly. Different strokes for different folks. Calling someone’s hobby “stupid” because it’s expensive and you personally can’t see how someone might enjoy a piece of machinery beyond its utilitarian value is, well, stupid.

You could say the same thing about art, watches, fine wine, etc.

The other poster said “if you have money, get some real estate, 401K, Roth IRA, etc.” as if the people who tend to buy these things don’t have those things. The vast majority of them do.

7 Likes

I’ve always bought cars off lease and then kept them for 15 years. Gotta spend on maintenance to keep them roadworthy. By clunker I just mean old and outdated

1 Like

Yup everyone’s got their thing that they drop cash on. I do think cars are cool but just never wanted to try to keep up. A big thing back home is spending a lot of cash on home renovations.

2 Likes

Ferrari, yes. Tesla, no. Ferrari’s are just sweet, beautiful machines.

Fine investments. Also nice to, you know, spend some money on some things you enjoy sometimes.

(And if you have ferrari money, yea, no, you probably don’t qualify for a roth ira)

Backdoor Roth.

I don’t consider Tesla a showy car. I drive a Prius now and my next car will probably be a Tesla, when the price goes down.

Sure, but let’s be clear - ain’t nobody with ferrari money calling out a roth ira (and 401k) vs generic investments anyway, nevermind specifying backdoor roth. :wink:

Not everyone who has “Ferrari money” today had “Ferrari money” to begin with.

And see: Mitt Romney’s IRA.

Hk takes the crown in Asia for luxury cars!

I have seem these new cars with this paint, looks different and I think nice, Not sure it comes from the factory like this?

No, this is not factory new “faded” finish. The car just looks like it sat in the sun for too long and had seen its share of bumps and scrapes. It is not factory new in any way. Unless Mercedes have a “relic” line of cars.

1 Like

In most parts of the US, you need a car to get around. I agree they are a waste of money but that doesn’t make them inherently stupid.

I prefer two wheels anyways.

1 Like

Yeah I have a car. And I never understood the “walkability” craze millennials had. This mass exodus to the suburbs is validating my opinion.

District of Columbia is really bad. There’s like a stoplight with cameras at every intersection. Drives me nuts every time I have to drive through there.

Whenever I see fancy cars owned by people my age, I’m like this guy must be a financial idiot.

No luxury cars in Taiwan. We are all shut down by COVID. Nothing to see here, please move on.

You’d have to be filthy rich to be in that category. But most people who drive fancy cars are just financial idiots.

If Taiwanese people are living beyond their means, as people here all claim, why is household debt in Taiwan so low, and net worth so high?

In what category? Not qualifying for a roth? Limit is not that high. And I doubt that most people with fancy cars are any bigger financial idiots than anyone else, as a group.

If someone around my age lives in my neighborhood he likely makes about what I do and probably inherited less money.