Do you think Taiwan has more luxury cars than other places?

My man I am of the poor church mouse variety and I do not know the name of the color. I only know I WANT IT.

1 Like

I hope that Porsche got “accidentally” damaged on the way to the impound yard.

1 Like

did you notice the italian flag line on the bottom of the door? and on the rear and the roof? arriverderci roma !

1 Like

Just so you know… notice the red line? That means it’s illegally parked.

1 Like

Yeah, but the driver was inside behind the wheel and his passenger got out to go somewhere briefly and then came back. When they departed, the engine sounded fantastico!

Oh, BTW, the driver and the passenger were both in their early 20s. Definitely a couple of 媽寶 sucking on the teat and living large.

1 Like

So, people think that driving expensive cars will make everyone impressed?

Now, the question is… how many people are actually impressed every time they find out that a friend has a Ferrari?

I know a guy who has a Tesla. He’s always glued to his phone (even while driving). He rarely looks up, even when talking to his own kids.

If he wanted to improve his public image, changing his relationship with his phone would be much better than getting an expensive car.

Or… am I missing something?

I wouldn’t say that I am impressed, but the cars are beautiful.

2 Likes

I will never get why people think driving a ridiculous-looking luxury car is a good idea. It’s embarrassing af.

I bet the owner of this car is an asshole of the highest magnitude.

1 Like

As Gain suggests … if I discovered a friend had bought a Ferrari, I think my first unspoken reaction would be “Huh, I never thought you were a jerk. I may have to reassess that.” They’re not necessarily like that, of course, but I’d consider buying a Ferrari a big warning sign.

So, no, definitely not impressed. Quite the opposite.

3 Likes

If you “discovered” that a friend bought a Ferrari, it would sort of imply that the friend wasn’t so braggadocious about their purchase.

Some people do collect cars for pure enjoyment of the machine, investment, etc. Overcompensating might be the most common reason in Taiwan, but it’s not the case everywhere.

1 Like

Ferraris would be my preference compared to Lambos. But classic cars are where it’s at. Rich Taiwanese don’t have much (any whatsoever ) taste so you just don’t see them either.
I do appreciate that locals like Mustangs but again you just don’t see vintage Mustangs .

1 Like

Saw this here in Kaoshuing, see it sometimes along with like restored ones, maybe a club

Cars are depreciating assets and they’re stupid.

2 Likes

If your luxury car is more than twenty years old, you are a a person of fine taste and a connoisseur of classic automobiles.
Less than ten, you are a pretentious asshole.
Ten-twenty…iffy.

1 Like

I saw a Mercedes with really old faded paint job… usually they’re really shiny and new.

So some people have taste.

1 Like

Why are they stupid?

Their job is to get you around. Beyond that, waste of money.

If you have money, get some real estate, 401K, Roth IRA, etc.

Most people who say “cars are stupid” are usually just jealous, especially when it comes to supercars.

1. Spending money on something you genuinely enjoy isn’t inherently a bad thing if you can afford it. For many of the people who buy or lease supercars, the amount being spent is comparatively no different than a regular person eating out at a restaurant a few times a month.

2. Some supercars actually have the potential to appreciate in value.

3. I don’t know the situation here in Taiwan, but in the US there are a lot of financing options available for supercars where the TCO is incredibly low. One of the ironic benefits of being rich is that the cost of living rich can be minimized in ways that plebs can’t even imagine. In fact, if you hit certain used supercars at the right point on the depreciation curve, you can drive them for next to nothing if you can get the financing.

3 Likes

Why be jealous. They have to make the payments on it and my clunker gets me to the same spot in the same amount of time. But hey it’s their money and if it makes them happy who am I to crap on that. Everyone likes what the like.

4 Likes