Do you trust AIT?

i realize not all of us here are from the US , but for those of you who are i have a question:
do you have any doubts about the ability or most importantly the resolve of AIT to help you when the chips are down (in jail or what not)?
i think this is an important question because they are civil servants and it’s their duty

rran the man

AIT in Taipei is a bogfuck. Not worth a damn and proud of it.

AIT in Kaoshiung iis a fine group of professionals who are worth their weight in Taiwan beer. <–high praise.

Just my NT$.0.02.

And yes, I am an American here in Taiwan.

how long did you need to realize?

I know I am setting myself up to get flamed BUT why would you need AIT? Are you expecting to get arrested for something? BTW it is my understanding that the most they can do for you (or are obligated to do for you) once you are arrested is to visit you in jail within 48 hours, or something like that, and provide you with a list of local lawyers. If you are anticipating being arrested, I suggest compiling a list now and carrying a copy with you at all times. :sunglasses:

Vannyel…just for the record…are you an American citizen, as in United States of America, here in Taiwan?

Just curious as to your post.

Yes I am an American citizen living and working in Taipei and I don’t anticipate needing AIT services for anything other than maybe adding pages to my passport. Why do you ask?

I got a new passport. I registered the birth of my kids and got their ssn and passports. They’ve always been nice to me. I have to go get something notarized, I don’t know where else to go. I think if you need to visit the US you have to go there. I haven’t been to jail yet, but I’m working on it.

Well, if a Taiwanese girl is ever silly enough to marry you and become impregnanted, you will then experience the joy of dealing with AIT. In 1993, I was leaving Taiwan with my infant son (born in Taiwan). The Taiwanese authorities refused to allow him to leave as he didn’t have either an entry or exit visa. AIT refused to even accept my phone calls. My best friend’s girlfriend was an employee at AIT and she told me the asshole at American Citizen Services didn’t want to deal with my problem because he was a local hire American employee and felt he might have trouble himself with the Taiwanese…So!

A British friend of mine at the BTA arranged for us to be smuggled onto a British Airways flight to Hong Kong. There was a big stink when we arrived at Kai Tak but after about 3 hours we were released.

(Final note, I used to go to pool parties at the Director of AIT’s villa on Yangmingshan. Those guys live pretty well.)

Yea, the AIT in taipei isn’t worth much… My story…

This summer while living in the Big C, I couldn’t get access to my Taiwan bank account because my ARC was canceled. So, the bank tells me that I can’t get the money,blah blah. I contact AIT via email 2xto ask for advice/assistance and heard nada from them. bottom line, is that I don’t even want to wait around to see what happens when the shit hits the fan, I already have it in mind that they wont be there… :fume: :fume:

Are you related to Clive Cussler or Frederick Forsyth? Can we have the full story please? You got your child (no passport or visa?) into HK after bypassing customs at CKS???

[quote=“pjdrib”][quote=“Comrade Stalin”]

A British friend of mine at the BTA arranged for us to be smuggled onto a British Airways flight to Hong Kong. There was a big stink when we arrived at Kai Tak but after about 3 hours we were released.

[/quote]

Are you related to Clive Cussler or Frederick Forsyth? Can we have the full story please? You got your child (no passport or visa?) into HK after bypassing customs at CKS???[/quote]

He was issued an American passport in Taipei but he didn’t have a visa in the passport. The Taiwanese said I would have to leave and get an entry visa outside of Taiwan. :loco: And yes, we were smuggled out after bypassing Customs and Immigration at CKS.

In general I’ve found AIT to be quite helpful - be it notarizing things, getting passports, new pages, registering births.

The fine print on the website says it all in terms of help with local legal issues - you’re on your own and subject to local law.

However, every time I’ve tried to get help from one of the TAIWANESE employees it’s been a complete waste of time. What a bunch of arrogant fucks. This has always surprised me because in general I have a very good attitude and lot of success with Local Gov. Officialdom.

No no…no flame. From your post it appeared that you may not be aware of the services AIT provides, or is supposed to provide, to USA citizens in Taiwan.
Thus I was not certain of your nationality. :slight_smile:

those of you who have had trouble with AIT now know what americans in other countries have found out already with our US embassies and consulates: amercians are EXPENDABLE when helping them makes waves. one thing that gets me about AIT is their total lack of involvement with us. for instance, lien zhan said something about his child “at least not marrying a foriegnor” and what was the public response from AIT? zero. silence. it’s like : “look you dare to betray the good ole US of A by not living there, you’re on your own”.
namtestore, you said on another forum that you’re a sister. i admire you for coming over here and applying yourself to a market other than the US. if opportunities aren’t there in the US for sisters and bros then coming over here shows you’re not brainwashed by the system over there.

It’s ironic that we’re getting on AIT’s case. Our pal Douglas has been one of the more activist AIT directors in a long time. He’s ruffled not a few feathers in the Chen Administration for telling them to put-up or shut-up on issues like FTA, WTO compliance Arms deals…etc…and telling them to keep quiet, or at least be smart on issues like independence.

BTW - why would you even want the AIT to speak out against idiotic statement from Lian Chan? Complete waste of time and giving dignity to something that shouldn’t even receive passing notice.

Tell Lian Chan from me that his fat-bastard son should have eaten less dough-nuts when he was living in the states. Of course, if he didn;t he actually would have had to serve in the military. I clapped when Goldman fired him after his dad lost the election

i can understand where elegua is coming from about not replying to lien zhan, but think about what the outcry would be if george w. bush had said, “oh well at least my daughters aren’t banging a chinese”. what then? singpore, china, taiwan, not to mention asian american coalitions would be all over GWB in a second. so why can’t AIT stand up for us? why not the british council, AIT, and every foriegn office in taipei speaking out?
another thing, if you call AIT’s emergency number, you will notice that it’s an answering machine. just think: the cops give you 3 minutes to make a call, then go right back to working you over, pouring water on the floor and shocking you with a zap stick. i’ve heard stories.

I try to keep my interaction with government agencies (regardless of what country) down to a minimum. The only thing I know about AIT is what I read…[quote]Upon notification of the arrest of an American, an AIT officer will try to visit the prisoner within 48 hours. During the first visit, the officer will provide the prisoner with a list of attorneys and information about the Taiwan legal system. In addition, the officer will, if authorized by the prisoner, notify a family member or friend of the arrest and relay any requests the prisoner may have. [/quote]
Yes, I know the have some other services like adding pages to a passport, issuing passports (although in I would most likely get this down during a visit back to the U.S. at one of the express services locations), notarizing documents that are to be “conducted” in the U.S.
As for ‘family’ services, well unless the U.S. legalizes gay marriages I don’t think I have to worry about this one. :wink:

rantheman, I think the answering machine is adequate since they have 48 hours to try and visit you. Hang in there.

[quote=“rantheman”]i realize not all of us here are from the US , but for those of you who are I have a question:
do you have any doubts about the ability or most importantly the resolve of AIT to help you when the chips are down (in jail or what not)?
I think this is an important question because they are civil servants and it’s their duty

rran the man[/quote]

The only responsibility your government has is to provide you with a list a local attorney’s and to visit you in jail on occasion. They are not there to get you out of jail, to hand carry your personal mail or go fund raising on your behalf.

Unfortunately most people assume that consular officers are there to spring their release… They go their to check your identity to ensure you are who you say you are, contact your relatives to let them know of your situation, and perhaps bring you some mail and small change, and inform you of who to contact regarding your legal situation.

It’s not their duty to help you with an expired ARC or banking problems. However they can issue children a certificate of identity to travel on if they don’t have a passport.

PS They don’t carry get out of jail free cards.