Does a rainbow flag on social media mean someone is gay?

Hey, question for you guys who are more familiar with the gay scene in Taiwan.

Would a straight Taiwanese guy post a picture of himself on some social media with a filter that adds rainbow bands to the picture, a la gay flag?

In other words, does posting a picture like that mean that he’s gay?

Most likely, but also could be an ally.

2 Likes

Holy shit, what a strange story… might post somewhere else.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. In Europe it would definitely mean that he’s gay or at least that he wants to make some supportive statement.

@Gain maybe your input here would actually be of some value (not like in the rest of threads lol).

1 Like

I would think that generally a straight guy would not do it as to avoid girls developing such doubts. But he could indeed be a passionate ally that does it for their close friend or family member.

1 Like

Hmmmm AFAIK he doesn’t have other siblings…

Does the filter look like this

1 Like

Yeah… nah.

More like this one:

1 Like

The dark side of Taipei

1 Like

You can just ask him.

That’s not what I want to know, I want to know what other people, who know Taiwan and gay culture here, would say.

1 Like

Well I don’t know anyone who uses such ugly filter so Idk.

1 Like

I get the impression that this filter is a fad, it has no bearing on the posters sexual orientation. If someone is gay he will say so. Otherwise he’s either straight or closeted.

1 Like

Everyone in Taiwan knows what the rainbow means, just as people do in the West.

The rainbow has no other cultural meaning here if that’s what you’re asking. If that is the filter he chose, then it most likely signals something related to LGBTQ whether he is gay or an ally.

My Taiwanese brother-in-law did that with his gf at the time to support his brother as an ally. You never know these days. There are a lot of straight guys out there that are vocal as asked. You’d really have to ask to know for sure.

I wore a Pink Floyd shirt to work once and a kid asked me if I was gay. Clearly signals are getting recycled and crossed.

2 Likes

This exact filter was used a while ago by several straight Taiwanese that I know, while most gay Taiwanese friends did not use it.

Most likely it’s not a statement about one’s own sexuality, but rather of support.

3 Likes

But there’s a chance, right???!

Loads of girls here do it to signify they’re an ally. Not so many guys. Don’t think I ever have, I just use :rainbow_flag: this type of thing. In general if I see a guy use a filter I’d presume they’re gay.

After the (stupid) referendum in 2018 literally every straight person under the age of 30 I know used this filter on Facebook to show support.

But I’ve not seen people use this one.