Does anyone here know Roy Ngerng?

Minimum wage:

1998: 15840
2008: 17280
2016: 20008
2024: 27470

Tsai raised it more in 8 years than it was raised the previous 20 years.

3 Likes

Yes thatā€™s is true but itā€™s still very small increases versus GDP over the whole period and off a very low base , and now inflation eats away at incomes.

The factory owners arenā€™t complaining as much about small increases probably because NTD is weakening again so their profits are just fine versus local costs. 4% increases in minimum wage is keeping up with inflation , maybe maybe not? For instance prices in many restaurants have been going up faster than that.
I will say itā€™s not bad that the min wages have gone up every year for 8 years ,but itā€™s also not great either because the base was set so low to begin with.

They also are getting approval for a lot more migrant labour to come in.

I just gave my wife a 10% salary increase. My overseas clients also got a nice increase for my services and the NT$ has gone from US$27.5 to my last incoming of NT$32.4 to my business account.

In the meantime my supplier from Japan the yen has gone from US$1 Yen 110 to US$1 Yen 151 so I am paying a lot less in US$ for my content. My supplier doesnā€™t care are he still gets a nice profit as I pay him in HK when his last payment was at US$1 Yen 130 so he got a nice extra bit if he uses the funds back in Japan.

He bangs on about one issue, all the time, and it seems to greatly annoy @Gain .

Guy

Is Roy Ngerng one of your clients?

1 Like

Yes. He annoys me to no end.

1 Like

He has some valid cost of living points, but I agree his arguments are generally flawed when you look at the data used.

Iā€™ve asked about some inaccuracies Iā€™ve seen in charts he has published and he will just ghost or block you.

I think he would be more effective if he beat his drum less and instead put more time into fact checking. It feels like heā€™s grasping for data points to fit a pre-determined narrativeā€¦

4 Likes

I do not do business with individuals. I do not have any clients in Taiwan. Anyway Iā€™ve never heard of the chap nor read any of his so called ramblings.

Agreed word to word. Heā€™s the worst.

He does not ramble. He bangs on, again and again, about the same topic.

Guy

1 Like

This is one of his typical arguments:

One country raised the minimum wage without making prices go up. Therefore, it wonā€™t happen in Taiwan if we do it.

Sociologists arenā€™t known for rigorous methodology.

He is not in the university system here. Why do you think of him as a ā€œsociologistā€?

Iā€™d describe him more as a commentator on labour issues, perhaps an activist too given how he reportedly ran afoul of the Singaporean government.

Guy

3 Likes

Pretty succinct summary of the Tsai government, on many issues. Wish weā€™d be dealing with our carbon emissions better though. Still plenty of room for improvement.

Guy

2 Likes

I used to not like the Singaporean government but for this I give them a big thumbs up.

The enemy of my enemy is my . . . friend?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You and former mayor Ko may have more in common than first meets the eye. :rofl:

Guy

The labour situation in Taiwan isnā€™t good. Many local workers in factories are on 6 days off per month contracts . Mandatory to accept or you wonā€™t get hired. Pretty sure that is over the basic working hours agreement but they have already figured out ways around it, probably by saying you get a ā€˜overtime bonusā€™ every month by agreeing the 6 day off per month contract. Even though you wonā€™t get hired unless you agree to these terms.

Yeah, thatā€™s weak. But, whatā€™s this?

Well I canā€™t find what itā€™s like now, that why I said LIKELY.

Outspoken randos online are definitely not known for methodology, but at least this dude is known
:joy:

1 Like

Thatā€™s what his degree is in.