Does anyone know about CLN ("Corporate Language Network Co., Ltd")

Just saw two job postings on here for “CLN” (which is “Corporate Language Network Co., Ltd”, but you can only know that if you hit up the google and make sure you add “Taiwan”, as their job posts don’t say and tons of other companies are also “CLN”). One job is offering a “minimum of” 800/ hr and the other 1200. They boast that their salary is higher than the industry average, but I don’t really think 800 is much more than the industry average (nor does it seem like much, given the expected qualifications, which are both a lot and nothing at all). But 1200/hr isn’t bad, and I’d be beyond qualified, so I thought I’d do some digging, as I genuinely thought about applying.

Their website appears to be all stock photos of random smiling people and conference rooms and people gathering in sleek modern work spaces with pretty (blank) post-it notes carefully stuck to the wall. Their “總部” is a coworking space inside 101 and their classroom space is also (quite obviously) not the building in the photo on their homepage. Certainly nothing I see in the photos is anything I’ve ever seen in Taiwan. Looks like a great place to spend all my days!

Then I went back and looked at their ad for the job again. There’s things like:

• Office snacking:
Free access to a premium coffee machine as well as unlimited snacks and beverages to fuel your hungry team!

my hungry team? What hungry team? Aren’t you looking for me to join the team??

Types of Leave:
• Two days off a week

Legally, that is the minimum, no? But also, they’re looking for part-time workers?? Two days off per week is not “part time” – it’s a normal work week with insufficient hours.

Insurance Coverage:
• Labor insurance, health insurance, and labor pension covered.

Again, the legal minimum

Additional welfare not specified in the Labor Standards Act is also provided.

What, like free yoga classes, at the office, during my lunch break? If the “welfare” (which is certainly not the word we’d use in the US for that type of thing) was anything to brag about, I would expect them to be bragging about it?

• Comfortable work environment:
A newly renovated office space built upon innovative styles and creativity

Is that the office space in the stock photos on the website? I’d really love to work there. I’m not kidding!

Anyway, I almost never think twice about the job postings on here, but these two caught my eye and I headed home from my job that I actually love wondering if I should apply. And then got home and got to digging around. I figured I’d see if anyone actually knows anything about the company. For all I know, they could be brilliant, but their job posting just wasn’t well thought out.

So, the TLDR: Does anyone know about this company?

fyi

1 Like

Well, the hallways do look pretty in the video at the bottom of that page, so maybe that’s not all stock photos :joy:. But he wrote “with a view to + Ving” and “With an eye to + Ving” on the chalkboard at 0:47, so it looks as I feared — a very expensive cram school that’s good at optics but is actually just another uselessly pointless cram school that mindlessly drills grammar and vocabulary… like a hardcore foreign run cram school, but the boss is Taiwanese, so there’s no one to say “we don’t use that grammar structure in English”.

Hi, there. This is CLN HR team.
We have received your comments and understand your confusion.
The “welfare” and “benefits” in the general introduction about CLN are provided for full-time teachers; however, we apprieciate your suggestion and it indeed helped us improve.

We’re looking for suitable candidates for Business English teacher for ESL adult lessons. The institution, 新貴英文, posted in the previous reply was founded as a high-school English learning center. 新貴英文 and CLN have different focuses on the English-teaching field. You’re welcome to visit CLN website to get further information about our company.