Does anyone know of Cheap flights to Taiwan?

I have a friend from Milan in Italy, and he is engaged to a Taiwanese girl who he met in Italy. Because her job transfered her to London he packed up and moved there a few months later. Now he is in a bit of trouble because her company recalled her to Taiwan, and he is stuck in London. Her family is telling that he has to go to Taiwan in the month of august and if he doesn’t go, he will lose his fiancée, because she and her family warn him she can’t wait any longer. I don’t know much about her, but I am guessing the reason that they are putting this kind of pressure on him is because she is getting closer to 30 and the crazy Taiwanese logic of a 30 year old woman not being able to get married is kicking in.

So he is really desperately trying to find cheap airfare to Taiwan from Italy. I don’t know if there are any travel agents or what not here in Taiwan that deal with Italy, since I am American and never been to Italy from Taiwan.
Therefore if anyone on here can help with this issue, I am sure he will bow down to you and kiss your feet or something. haha :laughing: I know he will be deeply appreciative.

Timing is your best friend. Look at flights in October or November. Actually, in 2010, try November, because the Shanghai Expo will be over by then. The expo is making flights to and from East Asia especially expensive this year.

August is probably the worst time to travel, price-wise.

Tell the fiancee to hold on for three months. If she can’t, she’s not the right gal for your friend.

[quote=“Chris”]Timing is your best friend. Look at flights in October or November. Actually, in 2010, try November, because the Shanghai Expo will be over by then. The expo is making flights to and from East Asia especially expensive this year.

August is probably the worst time to travel, price-wise.

Tell the fiancee to hold on for three months. If she can’t, she’s not the right gal for your friend.[/quote]

Yea, he has tried to get her to wait, but recently they have been having relationship issues because of this stress. She is becoming a little cold towards him and not returning calls or saying that MSN is broken things like this. The same lines that my ex-girlfriend pulled on me when she was thinking of running away. So when he told about this I got really sympathetic and want to help him. So I don’t think that there is away to get them to wait that long.

This sounds more like a relationship problem than a travel question. Why worry about the price of an air-ticket when there are far greater things at risk?: what if this does lead to marriage? If you really want to be a good friend, tell him to take a hard look at where this is going. I only see red flags, and the warning signs are pointing to this guy’s fiancée, not his finances.

[quote=“Tazzie”]
This sounds more like a relationship problem than a travel question. Why worry about the price of an air-ticket when there are far greater things at risk?: what if this does lead to marriage? If you really want to be a good friend, tell him to take a hard look at where this is going. I only see red flags, and the warning signs are pointing to this guy’s fiancée, not his finances.[/quote]

True there does seem to be some relationship issues going on here too. But none the less he is so deeply in love with her, that he can’t see anything but her. Relationship aside, he has recently moved to London for her and bought a house for them to live in, and a lot of other things. So understandably he is in a low financial situation right now, thats why instead of posting in the relationship section a question about ‘How do I help my friend to keep his fiancée’, I asked it here in the travel section to see if anyone knows of a good reliable CHEAP travel agent that deals with Italy and Taiwan, or website that has low fares, or some other means of traveling from Italy to Taiwan.

I know someone is going to ask, “why is he coming from italy and not england?”, well the reason is I don’t know. He never explained that part to me, and I don’t know how to ask properly in Italian with out sounding like a jackass or like I am retarded or something.

Ok, sorry to be preachy. You are just looking for information, and you are trying to be helpful to your friend.

What I would do: You will first of all need to know which city in Italy he will be flying from. I just did a search on www.expedia.com and found a one-way flight Rome —> Taipei for US968 for August 4th on Air China (the mainland carrier, not the Taiwan company “China Air”"). From my own searches in the past, I know that Air China is often the lowest cost carrier, but I have never looked at routes through Italy. All flights will be routed through China before continuing on to Taiwan.

Good luck.

He can also look for cheap flights going to Singapore , KL or Manila…and take a budget airline from there to Taiwan such as Air Asia. Well that’s if he is really stuck for cash.
She sounds like a pain in the ass.

Sometimes there are cheap flights Rome-Hong Kong, or cheap flights from Italy to Dubai and then on the Asia. Otherwise the suggestion someone else gave of getting a budget ticket via South East Asia may be his best option.

It may be best for your friend to go and ask a few travel agents what they can do, as sometimes they have specials not posted online.

For cheap ways to get from Italy to Asia in general, I’d suggest searching/posting your question on the Lonely Planet Thorntree forums:

lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa

Good Luck

In general, the best international fares are only available for purchase in the country of origin. If the travel originates in Italy, then travel agents in Italy will have access to the best fares.

And she just fucks off back to Taiwan and then starts trying to blackmail him into marriage? Golly, I can see why he’s so desperate to be with her! She sounds like a real TREASURE! :laughing:

And she just fucks off back to Taiwan and then starts trying to blackmail him into marriage? Golly, I can see why he’s so desperate to be with her! She sounds like a real TREASURE! :laughing:[/quote]

Sandman I am not saying this to start a fight, because I really want this to be about finding help for my friend, however do you ever read things completely or just see what you want to see and then make a comment? :eh:

Because to me this seems to be the situation quite often. I never know if your joking or if your serious, but this time this kind of comment isn’t really necessary :neutral: . All it will do is cause confusion or cause people to turn this into some debate on their relationship, and thats not what this is about. If I am wrong about you then I am sorry, if not well I said what I wanted to say.

EVA airways seems to be one of the cheapest from London to TAiwan. Ci also has cheap non stop. Also Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific. Malaysian also does a good deal.

Have him ask his question on this forum:

it is for people travelling from London to Bkk and Taiwan

flyertalk.com/forum/other-as … grams-470/

or how about this website?

asaptickets.com/cheap-ticket … ?line=(877+214-7662&clientsource=MFS:China_Taiwan_countries

heres what i got on a query:

Who We Are

Home Special Offers About Us Group Travel Business Class Contact Us
To Speak With an Agent Call (877)​ 214-7662. Use Promotional Code SAVE40-98-21-5

$568.71 *  jet airways

$580.58 *   air china

$785.80 *   asiana

$912.32 * qatar

Please Call to Book
Departure city: London [GB]

Destination city: Taipei [TW]

Departure Date: 25 Aug 2010

Return Date: 22 Sep 2010

Your Discount ID is
40-98-21-5

Call Now to speak with Live Travel Agents: