Does anyone want to help a newbie find an apartment in Tainan? I will pay for your help :)

Hi all,

I just arrived in Taipei yesterday. I will be teaching English in Tainan this year. Unfortunately, my employer does not really help with the process of finding an apartment…I will arrive in Tainan on the 22nd and am hoping to find some sort of apartment by September 1st (even earlier if possible!). I know this is a long shot, but if anyone living in Tainan could help me out for a day I would greatly appreciate it. I would pay you, of course! I have also thought about contacting 6ma , but i’m not sure how much English the people working there speak.

Thanks for reading!

-Ian

[quote=“Ihoop”]Hi all,

I just arrived in Taipei yesterday. I will be teaching English in Tainan this year. Unfortunately, my employer does not really help with the process of finding an apartment…I will arrive in Tainan on the 22nd and am hoping to find some sort of apartment by September 1st (even earlier if possible!). I know this is a long shot, but if anyone living in Tainan could help me out for a day I would greatly appreciate it. I would pay you, of course! I have also thought about contacting 6ma , but I’m not sure how much English the people working there speak.

Thanks for reading!

-Ian[/quote]

Hi Ian,

Welcome to Taiwan! I am sure you will enjoy your time here just as I have.

I found an apartment myself using www.591.com.tw. I am a non Chinese read so I downloaded and used Google Chrome to translate the page.

I am not too familiar with the Tainan area however there are a few things for you to bear in mind.

1. Location and amenities around the area you want to rent. 7-11 stores, supermarket etc.
  2. Air conditioning! A must have during the summer season.
  3. Building on-goings such as management fees etc.
  4. Cable TV and or internet service. Being a foreigner, they either require a heavy deposit or a local to back up as a guarantor.
  5. If the land lord will be applying for tax. As a foreigner, you are entitled to claim a certain percentage back during income tax returns for rental paid.
  6. Try not to rent on the top floor (Roof level) of a building and first floor. Some areas are prone to flooding and roof levels are extremely warm during summer.

Try walking into a local property agency. Most of them have English speaking staff. Agencies are littered across the island and they have plenty of properties to choose from. Renting a property in Taipei usually consists of 2-3 months deposit, advance rent upfront and if you are using an agent, you are required to pay half their commissions…

Hope the above can assist you…