Does China pay Taiwan $37?

I remember reading this a long time ago as just one sentence in an article about Taiwan and China, but I can’t find it now. I’m just trying to verify that I didn’t make it up.

Does China alot some tiny sum of money to Taiwan in its budget just as a formality, since Taiwan is “a province of China.” The number might even have been something like $1. I’m not sure.

To pay for emergency response to things like SARS… :loco:

Is this true? Someone…? (it’s very intriguing)

I asked the same question at the straightdope, and this is the only response I got:

boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho … ost8320233

Still, nothing difinitive.

Well you’re not exactly clear which PRC department was issuing payment to which ROC department.

The OP is just confused. The closest thing I can recall is the NUC under CSB and before it “ceased to operate”, had an annual budget of NT$36, which was about US$1.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Well you’re not exactly clear which PRC department was issuing payment to which ROC department.[/quote]Ah I see, you mean the payments from the Chinese Communist Party to the Taiwan political parties, the People’s First Party and the Chinese Nationalist Party (KuoMingTang, KMT).