Does China recognize Taiwan National ID or only their new Taiwan Permanent Resident ID 2018?

It may grant certain benefits like the ability to work / live anywhere, but for other things like housing it’s different. It doesn’t grant the same benefits as Shanghai hukou for purchasing property in Shanghai.

When people in China ask you what is your Shenfenzheng 身分證 (Chinese ID), you don’t have one because the Taibaozheng is not a Shenfenzheng. From there you start hitting issues with daily life similar to APRC holders in Taiwan.

When you try to do simple things like go into a train station or the park, you cannot use the Chinese ID lanes, you have to go to the special lane for foreigners and do manual inspection. Some credit cards you cannot apply for because 身分證 is a requirement.

The Taibaozheng is not just for Taiwanese, HK and Macau residents have their own equivalents when visiting China. When you enter China with one of these permits, you are a Chinese citizen, because China does not recognize HK, Macau, and Taiwan as separate countries.

I don’t think you’re right about that. I’m pretty sure all Taiwanese can purchase property anywhere in China including Shanghai. And that extends to all other benefits like schooling.

Most of my friends in Shanghai are children of Taiwanese businessmen, and they certainly have a lot of properties there. Laws change all the time though, so who knows.

Not saying they can’t. But they need to meet the requirements the same way as other Chinese citizens moving to Shanghai. You can’t just get a mainland travel permit, go to Shanghai and buy multiple properties right away as if you had Shanghai hukou.

Yes, they can. The Taiwan residence ID (not talking about the travel permit) is equivalent to a Beijing Capital Hukou which automatically grants you all rights everywhere in China, wherever you choose to live.

So whatever law applies to someone with a Beijing Capital Hukou applies to Taiwanese with a residence ID.

Ah okay, I was thinking of the mainland travel permit. I’m not familiar with the mainland Taiwan residence ID. Didn’t know that existed. My Taiwanese friends in China haven’t acquired that when I traveled with them last time in China.

It seems like going an extra step and recognizing China’s sovereignty if you are moving hukou to Beijing, which is kind of risky if Taiwan finds out. It might be enough reason for them to cancel your Taiwan citizenship?

It’s an optional ID for Taiwanese who plan to live in China long-term which grants them Hukou rights and other conveniences. There are no special requirements to obtain it iirc.

No, they won’t. You need to actually become a full-on PRC citizen to get canceled by the ROC.

Realistically speaking, no Taiwanese will get canceled by the ROC because there is no practical reason for a Taiwanese person to obtain PRC citizenship. Taiwanese already have full rights in China (not to mention extra special privileges that PRC citizens don’t even have).

1 Like

What is this optional ID? What is the requirement to obtain it for TW citizens? I didn’t know about this, I thought Taobaozheng is your houkou and all that.

But I’ve come to understand (this is from reading various stuff online) that TW citizens already get preferential treatment compared to PRC citizens. For example in Shanghai…

港澳台居民居住證申領發放辦法

港澳台居民前往內地(大陸)居住半年以上,符合有合法穩定就業、合法穩定住所、連續就讀條件之一的,根據本人意願,可以依照本辦法的規定申請領取居住證。

1 Like

:point_down:

No requirements other than providing proof that you are living in China (utilities bills, etc.) and have a job. (Edited)

1 Like

https://www.chinatimes.com/newspapers/20230822000587-260303?chdtv

無住處失業者無法新辦

2 Likes

Ok sounds good. I guess the challenge is finding a job and a place to live in China

But if I live in China will it be worse than Taiwan?

And can I just go pick up any jobs there, or are there only special (hard to get) jobs that Taiwanese can get hired for?

And I guess the ID is more or less permanent once you get it?

Why would that be a challenge?

If you need to get this resident ID, then that means you’re already residing in China. If you’re living in China, then you have an apartment and most likely also have a job.

If you’re not living in China, then you don’t need this ID.

I don’t know, but if the job only paid 7000RMB per month and it costs 15,000RMB per month, then it wouldn’t work.

Some Chinese friends on wechat tells me that average is 10,000RMB but someone else tells me that if you have no “paper” skills, you might get only 5000RMB per month to work a lot of hours.

1 Like

Yes.

Blue collar jobs pay less than Taiwan. White collar jobs pay more, generally.

If you’re making 7k then you shouldn’t be renting a 15k apartment. There are much cheaper apartments.

Yes, for lower level white collar jobs.

That’s when you use the new Resident ID that you get after living in China for 6 months on a Taibaozheng

You’re not moving your hukou to Beijing, you keep your Taiwan hukou. You just gain equal rights/privileges as Beijing hukou holders. It’s kind of like having two hukous.

Or are enrolled in a course. You could be self-funded, enrol in a Chinese language school, probably get away with not turning up, and after maintaining this situation for 6 months you get a Resident ID which gives you your 身分證號碼。

Or you could be working remote jobs.

Anyone know if china has any sort of universal healthcare?

1 Like

Sort of, within your own province. But I know Taiwan’s is better.

1 Like