Does China recognize Taiwan National ID or only their new Taiwan Permanent Resident ID 2018?

I know that Mainland uses the Taiwan National ID and the TaiBaoZhen as if it were identification, but can these be used for things like buying an apartment?

For anyone here who has gotten the new Taiwan Permanent Resident ID issued by the Mainland since 2018, it is significantly more useful within the Mainland than our Taiwan National ID? If so, how has it changed your experience in the Mainland?

Lastly, what office do we visit to apply for that 2018 type ID? I don’t know the actual Mandarin to type into Baidu Maps, lol.

Thanks a bunch!

I’ve googled about buying houses in the mainland and it looks like you’re allowed to buy a single property for you to live in, and a few other rules. You can even get a loan too.

Thank you! That link is immensely helpful. Have you or anyone you know purchased a property on the Mainland before as a Taiwanese? Would really like to learn more details. Especially with recent changes.

I’m in no position to purchase property but I’m still looking it up.

You need to have paid into the social system in order to buy property in most cities like Shanghai. Which city are you looking at?

There’s no specific requirement on nationality for owning homes in China. There are U.S. citizen white people who own homes in Shanghai but they’ve been working in China and paying into their social systems.

From my understanding if you have TaiBaoZhen you are recognized as a Chinese citizen while in China. For example you cannot get diplomatic help from other embassies if you run into trouble.

2 Likes

Pretty sure the ROC National ID is not recognised by any PRC functionary other than the department which issues the taibaozheng.

And even then it needs to be paired with the Taiwan passport

1 Like

That article mentions nothing about having to pay into any social system. It’s just that you can only buy one, at least if you’re going to get a loan on it.

That’s why I asked the city. Each city is different. It depends on local regulations.

Beijing requires payment into social security and taxes for 5 years before you can purchase a home. Shanghai hukou allows you to buy two homes. Etc. There is no specific requirement on nationality.

What you mention here is very interesting. So each city has it’s own way of doing things, so what’s the office to ask? Ideally I’m talking about Shanghai but in general, who do I call to ask about the regulations? Like, do we call the city tourism board or something? Certainly we can’t call the mayor :slightly_smiling_face:

Regarding Shanghai, so if you get a hukou there, then you can buy two properties? You likely needed a first property to begin with in order to get the hukou in the first place, so having one let’s you buy a second one, that’s nutty! Can you tell me more? For instance, how does one even get hukou in Shanghai, and don’t you have to give up your hukou in Taiwan?

So you can take a TaiBaoZhen into a bank and be like ‘give me a loan’ or to a school and be like ‘teach my baby math’ ? Like, TaiBaoZhen has actual rights in Mainland?

So are regulations looser in rural cities than bigger cities?

TaiBaoZheng is like APRC in Taiwan, you have up go through special queues for foreigners and it’s hard to get a credit card, but you have the right to work and live in China. Life is still hard for trying to integrate.

But you should also read what it means to use TaiBaoZheng while in China. You’re treated as a Chinese citizen for diplomatic purposes. The U.S. embassy can’t help you if you’re a U.S. citizen that entered with TaiBaoZheng.

1 Like

So only the right to work and live. No other rights?

So each city has it’s own way of doing things, so what’s the office to ask? Ideally I’m talking about Shanghai but in general, who do I call to ask about the regulations? Like, do we call the city tourism board or something? Certainly we can’t call the mayor :slightly_smiling_face:

Regarding Shanghai, so if you get a hukou there, then you can buy two properties? You likely needed a first property to begin with in order to get the hukou in the first place, so having one let’s you buy a second one, that’s nutty! Can you tell me more? For instance, how does one even get hukou in Shanghai, and don’t you have to give up your hukou in Taiwan?

No, the Taiwan National ID is issued by the Taiwan government. China does NOT recognize it. You must get a Taibaozheng to travel to, live, and work in China.

2 Likes

DO NOT get a houkou in China.

Taiwan will denaturalize you if you do so.

1 Like

From googling I think it’s this one: https://www.shanghai.gov.cn/RegisteringProperty/20210525/a6acb089a3a345949e7e1829f6a4a218.html

You need to have lived and worked in Shanghai for at least one year and paid into local social tax

1 Like

A Taiwanese doesn’t need to get a Shanghai hukou. The Taiwan Resident ID in China is equivalent to the Bejing Capital Hukou which grants you all benefits across all cities and provinces in China, including Shanghai.

In China, Taiwanese are king.

There is absolutely zero upside for a Taiwanese to gain Chinese citizenship, as even though Taiwan generally looks the other way when a Taiwanese citizen gains other citizenship, China is the exception. You will lose Taiwanese citizenship if you gain Chinese ones.

It locks you out of Taiwan.