Does Chinese culture entrench and foster fear and superstition?

4 is bad luck, Feng Shui rules and now we’re in the Ghost Festival (Aug 16 - Sep 14). Numerous other superstitions:

Things like this:

One long noodle is typically slurped on one’s birthday. But revelers beware—the noodle should not be bitten or cut as this is believed to shorten one’s life.

Seriously, how can biting a noodle on one’s birthday shorten one’s life? Did whoever come up with this taboo think about it, or perhaps they did and they are eternally having a laugh at our expense. Do the people who listen and follow this type of taboo think whether or not it is absurd? Or perhaps it is I, the skeptic waiguo who is mistaken?

One may scratch their head and laugh about it but when friends and in-laws expect you to take them seriously, it is insensitive not to.

Do you agree with the hypothesis that there is a prevailing culture of fear, bad luck this, bad luck that and inexplicable superstitions? What sort of effect does this have in terms of willingness to take risks, innovate, ask questions, solve problems or defy the status quo?

In my home country I used to be a faculty member at a university. One thing I noticed, teaching Far Eastern students was that they were intelligent and gifted but almost never ask questions. A few times when I was giving tutorials, and explaining how to critically analyze a problem, the Chinese students would say something along the lines of, “Just tell us what to memorize and we’ll memorize it.”

There is zero connection between superstition and reluctance to ask questions. You’ve just doubled down on a vaguely racist trope.

Both things are a thing mind. I just don’t know why you’ve tried to link them.

1 Like

I’m far from Chinese and I grew up with bucket loads of European superstitions from the countryside.

3 Likes

I think not only Taiwan, most places have this.

in USA, many place no floor 13, Japanese like me found this odd at first before learned it was Triskaidekaphobia , a odd phobia to me.

Also phobia of some cats like black cat (a big Japan shipping company is called black cat here in Taiwan) in USA, its so bad I saw big American scared of tiny cat

And Japan has some, non Japanese think odd like Sleeping with head to the north results in a short life.

I tell this to my wife every year.

9 Likes

Western version: 13 is bad luck, astrology rules and our biggest holiday features a flying obese man who comes down your chimney and gives you presents in exchange for milk and cookies.

2 Likes

OK, the West has the #13 superstition. At least in my circle of friends, no one (that I knew of) took astrology seriously. Today’s youth might be different. Santa - everyone except NORAD (the guys looking out for incoming nukes) knew he didn’t exist.

The Jesus stuff is pretty popular over there. The superstition that they can’t masturbate because an old man up in the clouds is watching is an odd one. I mean, wouldn’t the old man be the real pervert in that scenario?

3 Likes

How about the sky ghost whose son was killed by the Romans and came back to life?

No one really believes that silliness.

It’s been my observation that Taiwanese people who were born in the 50s and the 60s and went to college around the 70s and the 80s are not all that superstitious. The atmosphere back then really looked down upon superstitious people and saw them as uneducated and low class. So people who received an higher education around that time often have a pretty poor idea about traditional rituals and superstitions. If they are super superstitious now, they probably picked those bad habits up with in the last 30 years.

1 Like

Sorry if it came across as a racially-motivated criticism. It isn’t.

I was going to raise a separate thread about the education system, but haven’t had the time yet.

Fear of losing face or asking a stupid question could be related to not asking questions.

Don’t forget what happens to nails that stick up

I think that the difference. in Taiwan even the most educated people is full of superstitions, even at the hospital. There is no line.

I never see the 13th floor thing, because I just don’t see many buildings in the part of the us I lived in that had 13 or more floors. I guess you see this more in population dense locations like New York.

The closest thing to a superstition I see on a regular basis is the Guai Guai on the computer servers thing.

1 Like

Superstitious or not, I wouldn’t go removing those bags.

2 Likes

they give those Guai Guai bags to teachers or place on teachers’ desk during an exam or certification test

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve only seen it it tech contexts.

1 Like

yeah, university professor Taiwanese friend sends me pics of the pile of them all the time around tests, and just laughs