Does FATCA work both ways?

I know Taiwanese banks are obliged to report to the US but do US banks also report to Taiwan?

Iā€™m not sure but what do you think?

FATCA only works because those banks hold assets in the US (which bank doesnā€™t) that the US can use as a bargaining chip to force compliance. No it doesnā€™t work the other way unless FATCA mandates it.

No. They are not.

1 Like

Nonsense.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a reason US is actually one of the best places to hide money. FATCA for thee and no CRS for me.

3 Likes

USA banks are required to report CRS information to Taiwan if that person is not a US resident/person and is a Taiwan resident/citizen.

USA does not require Taiwan banks to report CRS to USA, because USA is not part of CRS. They use FATCA instead. FATCA is only for US persons and Taiwan is not part of it.

1 Like

Can you please provide a source for this

Hereā€™s HSBC USA. When I converted from US resident to non-resident, I was asked to fill in CRS listing Taiwan as my tax country: https://www.crs.hsbc.com/

HSBC US is an exception. Not the rule.

ā€œAlthough the US is not participating, there may be entities that are treated as participating in a jurisdiction that participates in OECD.ā€ HSBC would definitely be one of those.

1 Like

I think FATCA and CRS are both optional when you look at it that way. A Taiwan bank isnā€™t going to get fined by Taiwan if they donā€™t participate in FATCA, but they may get blacklisted from using USD by the US government. Likewise a US bank isnā€™t going to get fined by USA for not following CRS, but Taiwan can put pressure on that bank in other ways.

I cannot find the doc right now, but there are a few local Taiwan banks not taking part in FATCA when it was signed. They likely donā€™t transact with USD.

Of course the US tends to be a bully and they can add pressure in other ways, such as telling Taiwan government they will blacklist the whole country from transacting USD if their major banks arenā€™t compliant

They are not optional. Banks can and do get fined.

What pressure is Taiwan giving? Show me a source

Banks with ā€œsignificantā€ operations in CRS jurisdictions have to follow CRS in America and are held to the same standards. Such as HSBC which is headquartered in Londonā€¦

Because there is no doc

Can you name these banks that donā€™t follow FATCA?

Can you provide a source where Taiwan fined a Taiwan bank for not following fatca?

The penalty according to fatca is the US will withhold 30% for that bankā€™s USD transactions. Taiwan wonā€™t fine the bank. The bank also wouldnā€™t care if they donā€™t transact in USD.

Okay let me find it again after lunch.

So far the banks in Taiwan have actually been compliant to the best of my knowledge. In factā€¦ some will tell Americans to F$%k off lol

Iā€™d like to know which banks these are

1 Like

The fatca treaty that was signed a while back allowed for ā€œnon participating FFIā€ in Taiwan. Thereā€™s hundreds of banks here and some are not participating. Let me find that list. Also not all financial institutions are fully participating FFI (foreign financial institution). Thereā€™s several types of non participant FFIs. Unfortunately for most Taiwan banks, they have branches in the US and would be required to participate. Same deal with HSBC having branches in CRS participant countries.

Here is a list I googled on my phone. But this one is for listing some FFI participating banks. Iā€™m still at lunch. https://www.twsa.org.tw/I01/DOC/證åˆøę„­FATCAčØ»å†Šęƒ…å½¢ēµ±čØˆå½™ę•“č”Ø.pdf

Also as you can see in the doc, even the ones in there donā€™t all report. Some are merely participants but not reporting.

This one has some non participants: https://www.sitca.org.tw/OPF/K0000/files/CWeb/證åˆøęŠ•č³‡äæ”čØ—ę„­čˆ‡č­‰åˆøęŠ•č³‡é”§å•ę„­_FATCAčØ»å†Šęƒ…å½¢å…¬å‘Šē¶²ē«™å½™ę•“č”Ø_ē·Øč£½ę—„ęœŸ2014幓6꜈16ę—„.pdf

For example Mirae asset global investments. But this is an investment institution. Let me try find if thereā€™s a bank.

What do you mean they are just ā€œparticipating?ā€ lol

From what I understand it means they collect the info but donā€™t transmit it to US government. These lists of participants are usually inclusive lists, since the banks donā€™t list themselves if they are non compliant, but I remember in original treaty signing press release there were some banks not participating.

These arenā€™t exactly banks. Also the first one ę™Æ順ꊕäæ” on the list is strange as the English name is listed as reporting.

1 Like

You are confusing that with model 1 reporting

This site talks about the penalty for fatca non compliance: https://www.twrblog.com/2019/06/irs-to-launch-fatca-compliance-campaign-for-ffis/

ā€œFFIs that fail to file the required form may result in the FFI losing its status as a participating FFI or Reporting Model 2 FFI. If an FFI loses its status and is treated as a nonparticipating FFI, it is subject to 30% withholding on payments of U.S. source FDAP income made to it.ā€

So if someone were to open a bank today they could choose to be a non participant and be subject to that withholding on their USD. But itā€™d be a bad business decision.

Model 2 would also report to IRS, but thereā€™s different types of participants: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/corporations/fatca-governments

ā€œ Model 2 IGA:

• The partner jurisdiction agrees to direct and enable all relevant FFIs located in the jurisdiction to report specified information about their U.S. accounts directly to the IRS.ā€