Does it really cost that much to look like a hockey mom?

There are legitimate criticisms of Palin. But, how is she an ambitious and pretentious power seeker? And do you level the same criticism at Obamessiah? And if no, why not?[/quote]

I don’t think Palin is more ambitious, pretentious and power-seeking than the average politician, but they all are to some extent aren’t they? I just think her homey, folksy act image are an act, one that has been shown to be so by her expensive tastes.

Wit respect to Obama: I don’t think he portrays himself as a messiah, but as an agent of change. The messiah label is just an kind of smear.

There are legitimate criticisms of Palin. But, how is she an ambitious and pretentious power seeker? And do you level the same criticism at Obamessiah? And if no, why not?[/quote]

I don’t think Palin is more ambitious, pretentious and power-seeking than the average politician, but they all are to some extent aren’t they? I just think her homey, folksy act image are an act, one that has been shown to be so by her expensive tastes.[/quote]I don’t think it’s an act at all, although she certainly tries to play up that aspect during the campaign. It’s her adviser that has expensive tastes; she doesn’t. I think it’s unfair to link her personally to that $150k debacle. It’s more of an indication of a campaign being run by nitwits.

Could be, I suppose.

Palin is completely disposable. She’s a latter day Katherine Harris. McCain and the Repubs are going to pin this loss on her, rather than their piss poor and cynical judgement on what America wanted. She will forever more be simply the pig in lipstick. Since there’s little scope of McCain fighting the next one, I bet they deep six him too.

I almost feel sorry for her.

HG

I wouldn’t feel so sorry for her. Even if tomorrow turns out as expected, what’s left of the Republican party will be exactly the kind of party that would love a candidate like her. A far right, rump party.

[quote=“sjhuz01”]As for other reasons to knock Palin:
She’s ALREADY facing numerous allegations of corruption, graft, improper use of funds, improper use of power in office, etc, that predate her selection as McCain’s running mate (so these aren’t trumped up charges!)…[/quote]

Maybe they were.

[color=#0000FF]
A report has cleared Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin of ethics violations in the firing of her public safety commissioner
[/color]. Released Monday, the report says [color=#0000FF]
there is no probable cause to believe Palin or any other state official violated the Alaska Executive Ethics Act
[/color]in connection with the firing. The report was prepared by Timothy Petumenos, an independent counsel for the Alaska Personnel Board.

Who appoints the Alaska Personnel Board?

That creates an interesting mental image!

Palin and to some extent McClan are throw away candidates. After George Bush’s dismal display over the last 8 years, the strategists could well have written off any chance of winning this one, so put up a 72 year old, and an inexperienced sham of a running mate. The focus is on 2012, so no point in firing the decent guns too early.

One the other hand, if the republicans really DID put their best 2 candidates forward, you’d have to be worried…

It’s all moot, of course, but I encountered this amusing piece this morning.

huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/0 … 41394.html

Oh well, she didn’t make it to the White House, but at least she scored a nice new wardrobe. :laughing:

She looked pretty good in jeans when she was casting her vote.

Too bad the onscreen tickers blocked out the view most of the time.

:laughing:

I saw something on one of the American cable news shows called “Palin unplugged” yesterday, didn’t catch the content, but it looked to me as if with the race over, she’s about to be awfully mauled. I also think she was very lucky the Tina Fey version was so oddly likable, as it blunted perceptions of the real Palin. Nothing but misery ahead for her and her separatist hubby in the coming years.

HG

MarketWatch had a very convincing article this morning on why history suggests her chances of ever being elected to the White House are now very dim, despite what her rabid fans might desire.

The knives come out- just wait for her ghost-written book blaming everything on that senile old fake-conservative who wouldn’t let Sarah be Sarah.

Two options for her future:

If Ted “felon” Stevens wins and then gets the boot, she has a chance to stand for Senator, and keep her name on the big stage.

Otherwise, she’s set for cashing in on a couple of years of wingnut welfare before crashing and burning in 2012.

From FOX…

[quote]Cameron: I wish I could have told you more at the time but all of it was put off the record until after the election. There was great concern in the McCain campaign that Sarah Palin lack the degree of knowledgeability necessary to be a running mate, a vice president, and a heartbeat away from the presidency. We’re told by folks that she didn’t know what countries that were in NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement, that being the Canada, the US, and Mexico. We’re told she didn’t understand that Africa was a continent rather than a country just in itself … a whole host of questions that caused serious problems about her knowledgeability. She got very angry at staff, thought that she was mishandled…was particularly angry about the way the Katie Couric interview went. She didn’t accept preparation for that interview when the aides say that that was part of the problem. And that there were times that she was hard to control emotionally there’s talk of temper tantrums at bad news clippings…

Notwithstanding that there is to be an avalanche that will continue for many days now we’re told of stoy upon story of the foibles of Sarah Palin. [/quote]

dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/ … 976/651932

Though I’m sure that’ll only help her with the Republican base:

“We don’t need to know who a bunch of danged furriners are…”

Lets send the caribou back to the wilderness of Alaska post haste.

[quote=“sjcma”][quote=“BigJohn”]I just think her homey, folksy act image are an act, one that has been shown to be so by her expensive tastes.[/quote]… It’s her adviser that has expensive tastes; she doesn’t. I think it’s unfair to link her personally to that $150k debacle. It’s more of an indication of a campaign being run by nitwits.[/quote]I hereby retract my earlier statement that gave Palin the benefit of the doubt.

I think it was fair to give her the benefit of the doubt, and of course you would do that because you would presume the party hard heads had made a reasoned choice, They can’t claim to have suddenly discovered she’s an airhead now!

Good heavens! What are they admitting to? That they put a complete clown in line for the top job behind an aging president with a poor medical history, and it’s all Palin’s fault? And they did this while America faced it’s biggest economic crisis in decades? That deserves at least another couple of terms in the wilderness in my book. The metaphorical wilderness, of course, not the Alaskan variety.

HG

What is it with the Republican’s and their candidates? Bush thought the Taliban was a rock band, Palin that Africa was a country, Reagan was pretty funny so it’s hard to know when he was joking, but he did say that trees cause more pollution than automobiles. Meanwhile the democrats pile on Harvard and Yale law graduates as their candidates. Call me an elitist but surely there must be somebody in the Republican party sharper than a potato.

Palin is cute but I wouldnt hire her to run anything more then a cafe. I saw her on tv today where they were showing how McCain left driving himself in his suv while palin acted like a rock star with a motorcade to the airport and all that. That woman loves the limelight. She has no business in it, but she loves it.