Does it really cost that much to look like a hockey mom?

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Let’s do a thought experiment. I am a university professor and I believe the Earth is 6000 years old and that all life comes from Noah’s Ark. You have a video of me being blessed so that I am invulnerable to witches. You know the rest of the story, so I won’t bore you with it.

Now let’s ask what you would you say about my hypothetical professor. My guess is that you would be whining about how tenure protects people who spout the craziest ideas and that such stupid people have no right to this protection. You can get away with it here, but we all know the only reason you’re defending Ms. Palin and her ridiculous life style (which I agree she is legally entitled to practice) is that she is John McCain’s running mate.

seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/3 … ine30.html

"Tina Brown, the former editor of The New Yorker who knows about these matters, says, “The notion that after the campaign they’ll make her give the new wardrobe back, by the way, is palpably ridiculous. Don’t we want Sarah Palin to look hot?” We do, we do.

She says no woman who has worn a $2,500 silk Valentino jacket is going to go back to wearing consignment shop clothes or, having had a personal hairdresser, to having her hair done at the Beehive in Wasilla."

I did. Though I’m not a woman, and it was Givenchy, not Valentino.

In a time when people are losing their jobs and homes while the candidate spends their former yearly salary (or more than their former yearly salary) on clothes and makeup, it’s nice to know that there may be a second-hand Valentino scarf waiting for them thanks to Palin’s generosity.

Behold, the face of the new trickle down economics.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]In a time when people are losing their jobs and homes while the candidate spends their former yearly salary (or more than their former yearly salary) on clothes and makeup, it’s nice to know that there may be a second-hand Valentino scarf waiting for them thanks to Palin’s generosity.

Behold, the face of the new trickle down economics.[/quote]

Every cloud has a silky lining.

Love the new avatar, btw. Not as much as the scarf but it’s close.

You know, hearing about Palin pretending to be the normal soccer mom while in fact being an ambitous and pretentious power seeker with overblown tastes reminds me of why I like Paris Hilton: she may be a pampered, vapid, tasteless slut, but she doesn’t pretend to be anything else. I like that in a woman.

There are legitimate criticisms of Palin. But, how is she an ambitious and pretentious power seeker? And do you level the same criticism at Obamessiah? And if no, why not?

There are legitimate criticisms of Palin. But, how is she an ambitious and pretentious power seeker? And do you level the same criticism at Obamessiah? And if no, why not?[/quote]

Obama isn’t a woman, so it’s okay for him.
Dirty, sexist Dems. :raspberry:

A speechwriter for Obama, Edwards, and Clinton on why she’s voting McCain

Here’s an excerpt from her explanation:

[quote=“Wendy Button”]Not only has this party belittled working people in this campaign from Joe the Plumber to the bitter comments, it has also been part of tearing down two female candidates. At first, certain Democrats and the press called Senator Clinton dishonest.”They went after her cleavage. They said her experience as First Lady consisted of having tea parties. There was no outrage over “[color=#0000FF]Bros before Hoes[/color]” or “Iron My Shirt.” Did Senator Clinton make mistakes? Of course. She’s human.

But here we are about a week out and it’s déjà vu all over again. Really, front-page news is how the Republican National Committee paid for Governor Sarah Palin’s wardrobe? Where’s the op-ed about how Obama tucks in his shirt when he plays basketball or how Senator Biden buttons the top button on his golf shirt?

Governor Palin and I don’t agree on a lot of things, mostly social issues. But I have grown to appreciate the Governor. I was one of those initial skeptics and would laugh at the pictures. Not anymore. When someone takes on a corrupt political machine and a sitting governor, that is not done by someone with a low I.Q. or a moral core made of tissue paper. When someone fights her way to get scholarships and work her way through college even in a jagged line, that shows determination and humility you can’t learn from reading Reinhold Niebuhr. When a mother brings her son with special needs onto the national stage with love, honesty, and pride, that gives hope to families like mine as my older brother lives with a mental disability. And when someone can sit on a stage during the Sarah Palin rap on Saturday Night Live, put her hands in the air and watch someone in a moose costume get shot—that’s a sign of both humor and humanity.

Has she made mistakes? Of course, she’s human too. But the attention paid to her mistakes has been unprecedented compared to Senator Obama’s “57 states” remarks or Senator Biden using a version of the Samuel Johnson quote, “There’s nothing like a hanging in the morning to focus a man’s thoughts.”

But thank God for election 2008. We can talk about the wardrobe and make-up even though most people don’t understand the details about Senator Obama’s plan with Iraq. When he says, “all combat troops,” he’s not talking about all troops—it leaves a residual force of as large as 55,000 indefinitely. That’s not ending the war; that’s half a war.

I was dead wrong about the surge and thought it would be a disaster. Senator John McCain led when many of us were ready to quit. Yet we march on as if nothing has changed, wedded to an old plan, and that too is a long way from the Democratic Party.

I can no longer justify what this party has done and can’t dismiss the treatment of women and working people as just part of the new kind of politics. It’s wrong and someone has to say that. And also say that the Democratic Party’s talking points—that Senator John McCain is just four more years of the same and that he’s President Bush—are now just hooker lines that fit a very effective and perhaps wave-winning political argument… doesn’t mean they’re true. After all, [McCain] is the only one who’s worked in a bipartisan way on big challenges.[/quote]

No, go rip her to shreds, Obamatons.

Hey MFGR, what’s that about “Bros before Hoes”? Is that how some Democrats talk about Obama and HRC? Are you outraged?

She must not have heard that McCain advisers have been quoted recently as calling Sarah Palin a “diva” and “rogue.”

[quote=“Tigerman”]A speechwriter for Obama, Edwards, and Clinton on why she’s voting McCain

Here’s an excerpt from her explanation:

[quote=“Wendy Button”]Not only has this party belittled working people in this campaign from Joe the Plumber to the bitter comments, it has also been part of tearing down two female candidates. At first, certain Democrats and the press called Senator Clinton dishonest.”They went after her cleavage. They said her experience as First Lady consisted of having tea parties. There was no outrage over “[color=#0000FF]Bros before Hoes[/color]” or “Iron My Shirt.” Did Senator Clinton make mistakes? Of course. She’s human.

But here we are about a week out and it’s déjà vu all over again. Really, front-page news is how the Republican National Committee paid for Governor Sarah Palin’s wardrobe? Where’s the op-ed about how Obama tucks in his shirt when he plays basketball or how Senator Biden buttons the top button on his golf shirt?

Governor Palin and I don’t agree on a lot of things, mostly social issues. But I have grown to appreciate the Governor. I was one of those initial skeptics and would laugh at the pictures. Not anymore. When someone takes on a corrupt political machine and a sitting governor, that is not done by someone with a low I.Q. or a moral core made of tissue paper. When someone fights her way to get scholarships and work her way through college even in a jagged line, that shows determination and humility you can’t learn from reading Reinhold Niebuhr. When a mother brings her son with special needs onto the national stage with love, honesty, and pride, that gives hope to families like mine as my older brother lives with a mental disability. And when someone can sit on a stage during the Sarah Palin rap on Saturday Night Live, put her hands in the air and watch someone in a moose costume get shot—that’s a sign of both humor and humanity.

Has she made mistakes? Of course, she’s human too. But the attention paid to her mistakes has been unprecedented compared to Senator Obama’s “57 states” remarks or Senator Biden using a version of the Samuel Johnson quote, “There’s nothing like a hanging in the morning to focus a man’s thoughts.”

But thank God for election 2008. We can talk about the wardrobe and make-up even though most people don’t understand the details about Senator Obama’s plan with Iraq. When he says, “all combat troops,” he’s not talking about all troops—it leaves a residual force of as large as 55,000 indefinitely. That’s not ending the war; that’s half a war.

I was dead wrong about the surge and thought it would be a disaster. Senator John McCain led when many of us were ready to quit. Yet we march on as if nothing has changed, wedded to an old plan, and that too is a long way from the Democratic Party.

I can no longer justify what this party has done and can’t dismiss the treatment of women and working people as just part of the new kind of politics. It’s wrong and someone has to say that. And also say that the Democratic Party’s talking points—that Senator John McCain is just four more years of the same and that he’s President Bush—are now just hooker lines that fit a very effective and perhaps wave-winning political argument… doesn’t mean they’re true. After all, [McCain] is the only one who’s worked in a bipartisan way on big challenges.[/quote]

No, go rip her to shreds, Obamatons.

Hey MFGR, what’s that about “Bros before Hoes”? Is that how some Democrats talk about Obama and HRC? Are you outraged?[/quote]

What, no bold fonts? Is the fear just a little less gripping now? :laughing:

So, one speechwriter, who doesn’t appear to have been a very central part of the team, quits. Notice she says almost nothing about Obama, mostly criticizing election politics. Oh dear, everyone is so mean.

She sounds a bit like a plant to be perfectly honest. Or really naive. Or heartbroken because she wasn’t as central a part of the team as she had hoped.

Oh, I made a mistake. Hoes and Bros were highlighted and bolded. :laughing:

By the way, and this is terrible to say, but it’s umm, not very well written. Sure she wasn’t fired?

And she’s not Obamessiah’s speech writer, his name is Jon Favreau.

HG

Nothing sexist about “rogue” or “diva”.

I mean, I know that a “diva” is a female singer, but, I suspect they are using “diva” to mean, “prima dona”, and that simply refers to a person who takes adulation and privileged treatment as a right and reacts with petulance to criticism or inconvenience… and that isn’t sexist… and it doesn’t seem to accurately describe Palin, either.

So, what’s your point?

I have to use those sparingly.

Yes, we can make of it whatever we like. But, I thought it relevant to this thread.

I have no idea. She says that she has been with the Dems for several years… so, I doubt she is a plant… unless she’s lying, in which case I would expect the Dems to comment.

I would expect that he would have a team of speech writers perhaps under one person’s supervision.

Yeah, I thought that too.

I mean, I know that a “diva” is a female singer, but, I suspect they are using “diva” to mean, “prima dona”, and that simply refers to a person who takes adulation and privileged treatment as a right and reacts with petulance to criticism or inconvenience… and that isn’t sexist… and it doesn’t seem to accurately describe Palin, either.

So, what’s your point?[/quote]

Let me take a wild guess, but I think HGC is saying that it is not a sign of a rational balanced mind to leave a party because it hs no respect for Palin to vote for a guy who likely doesn’t either and whose campaign handlers certainly don’t.

So, what’s your point?[/quote]

My point is, assuming McCain’s advisers were calling her a “diva” in the negative sense of the word, that it appears Obama and his advisers are treating Sarah Palin with more respect than McCain’s people.

diva:
1: prima donna 2: a usually glamorous and successful female performer or personality ; especially : a popular female singer

prima donna

1 : a principal female singer in an opera or concert organization 2 : a vain or undisciplined person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team