Does Taiwan Garlic Smell Uniquely Bad?

Yes, the Korean version. You get a slice of garlic, dip it in this duen jang from Korea, then place it in the leaf before wrapping. Other things can go in the wrap.

Like everything that sprouts it produces sugars, so gets sweeter.

has anyone thought to grow their own garlic? I find that garlic and ginger are two things that love to sprout if I don’t use them up within a week. (Is it the humidity?) Ginger I’ve got going nicely in a small pot, but for some reason I’m afraid to grow my own garlic. Would reduce any stinky if you’ve got it fresh.

I realize some people would consider it a waste or hate me for incorrect food prep, but I appreciate the minced stuff in a glass gar that you can easily buy at any grocery store in the US. Saves a lot of prep time and doesn’t result in sprouted garlic (which is just a pain to use, not to mention not as tasty)

You can do that yourself. Mince loads of garlic, put it in a jar in olive oil and keep it refrigerated.

Yea keep your garlic dry but really if you aren’t buying it at a supermarket, but the morning market they should be good for a month even in Taiwan, but maybe keep your house dehumidified or something.

I never got the pre crushed garlic in the states because they were overpriced (2 dollars for a small jar) and they don’t last long. It also does not taste the same because you have to cook it in order to put it in a jar, and cooking it just ruins it. And minced garlic keeps for a week at most in the fridge.

Can you imagine what the people that crush the garlic for you are going through?

They aren’t done by hand but with massive machines that you load in the garlic on one end and out comes minced garlic the other end.

Really?

2 Likes

You know those perfect fries you buy from the store? They aren’t done by hand either. The machine cleans, peels, and cuts potatoes into perfect fry sized pieces, at a very high rate as well. Same with most processed food. They have machines that can process and even sort out the bad ones at thousands per second.

Darn, I thought they had a bunch of people cutting and chopping these things up by hand!

4 Likes

I just had a nice meal at an Italian Taipei restaurant.

The garlic in the dish was nice and not smelly. Just nice light garlic flavor. Enough in the dish to be very visible.

Nothing like that horrible strong repulsive garlic smell or taste that you usually get at Taiwanese food places.

I think I’ve answered my own question.

1 Like

maybe I did?

Italian Garlic, remove green stem from middle after crushing no garlic breath

1 Like

Also, some people add it after the dish is cooked. So you’re getting “cooked by the heat of the dish” level of cooked, not properly heated slowly at a low temp.

In other news, apparently it’s trendy now to mash up raw garlic and add it to Kaoliang. I was told it’s “good for the immune system”. I don’t think I’ve ever rushed to seven to buy coke so quickly in my life. I need new friends.

2 Likes

https://gfycat.com/entiregreatflounder

I’ll be shopping for something like this next time.

in case no one mentioned it, didnt read most of th thread. your garlic has rotten cloves inside, hence the color. the rotten garlic can sometimes have a next level stink…