Does Taiwan have wet markets, if so how sanitary

And people touching every piece of meat before they buy.

That’s local pork they drive around Taiwan in the middle of the night, not cooled.

1 Like

No it isn’t.

The good news is, of course, that the universally tainted and rotten meat that the markets sell, and that everyone here eats every day, results in a 50-75% mortality rate from salmonella and trichinosis.
Which is why Taiwan is so lightly populated, so you never see any big crowds and traffic is never a problem.

6 Likes

That’s the big question.

1 Like

Beef comes from Australia.

Pork however are raised here and I have seen trucks full of pigs at night. Presumably they slaughter/process the pigs and it goes to the market in the morning.

1 Like

Right…
Well more not refrigerated meat sitting on a blue truck for you then
Edit. And rocket, FYI most food poisoning doesn’t kill you. Diarrhea, upset stomach, etc.

I live inside the area reserved for a traditional wet market. Mornings are a frenzy of activity. From 1 to 3pm, cleaning crews take over and you´ll never know what happened there. Meat and poultry and food sellers have freezers and more permanent stands.

Yes, you can get fresh pork if you know the sellers. But many do sell the same product uncovered and unrefrigerated for hours

and they touch meat with the same hands they touch money. most time, we don’t get sick from them.

2 Likes

Well this is all deeply concerning, was considering moving to taiwan after the ccpvirus has gone but I’m starting to have second thoughts now. Maybe japan would be a cleaner place to live.

2 Likes

Have you considered Montana?

4 Likes

Nah, only into Asian countries really. It’s Montana clean?

Kinda. It’s the third least densely populated state. Can’t really transmit no nothing if you ain’t got no people.

no place is going to be cleaner so to speak if relating to Covid-19.

Yes Japan is cleaner than Taiwan in some respects but looks like Taiwab is the place to be for future breakouts. Reason being is their approach to handling this sort of situation.

Plus Abe is just not for the job anymore, imo. Their economy isn’t going to be stellar for the rest of the year.

2 Likes

For ccpvirus yea taiwan is best place to be for sure but in the future when this goes in more concerned about overall health and well-being as im prone to getting sick very easily. This is concerning for all of us especially since there is never ending food scandals in Taiwan. And with these food hygiene issues leaves more problems.

The problem with food safety in the US is that it’s basically necessary due to their rather questionable agricultural practice, like battery chicken, factory farms, etc., not to mention loose laws that allows meat that would normally not pass in other developed countries as food. So without things like 2 hour rules you really would end up with food poisoning. Then again in the US everything is done in supermarkets, and you really don’t see what is being done with the foods, such as carbon monoxide treatments to make spoiled meat look not spoiled! (CO does not fix spoiled meat, but it makes spoiled meat look fresh). I’ve had my share of substandard meats in the US, and just because your local grocery store looks clean and inviting doesn’t mean it is!

Even if traditional markets in Taiwan look unclean the foods are much fresher than supermarket because it’s practically coming directly from farms or distributors, whereas supermarket stuff goes through more layers meaning the meat you buy at carrefour can be several days old.

1 Like

If it’s kept refrigerated it doesn’t matter, wet markets only put meat back at night to be put on sale the next day until all is sold, maybe as sausages or minced meat.

1 Like

They do have freezers and stuff.

But the reason they have those 2 hour rules in the US is because supermarket meat in the US is not fresh at all, in fact they’ve probably spent too much of their time in the supply chain.

1 Like

Are you immunocompromised?

Also, if future pandemics happen to be mosquito-borne, everyone at this latitude is :tent:ed. Just something to keep in mind.

I think @rooftopclown is on to something. Probably safest to live in a sparsely populated mountain state.

Yep unfortunately. Coming from australia i always get sick for some reason