Does Taiwan have wet markets, if so how sanitary

If you’re really afraid then you’ll want a little cabin in the countryside somewhere and a garden. Maybe raise a couple of goats, some chickens.

Realistically, as this pandemic has demonstrated, there’s few (if any) truly safe places on earth.

Have you ever heard of the danger zone?
HACCP. Look it up
It’s not just for meat and it’s definitely not just for America.
And if you can avoid for poisoning, why not do it?

I have no issues with the cleanliness at the wet market I buy my meat and vegetables. I don’t buy pork, though. No logical reason for that except it makes me uneasy seeing it out in the open.

Chickens, ducks etc get thoroughly rinsed off before I buy them. I’ve never had food poisoning of any kind. Unlike in restaurants where the food is handled out of sight.

1 Like

Kind of are here though . It’s pretty bad going by my local market. The stalls are often dirty looking and yes the meat, although fresh,is sitting there unrefrigerated :sunglasses:. At least they just don’t slaughter the animals on site anymore.

1 Like

Not really effective, mosquitoes can breed anywhere they have water.

2 Likes

I came across this article about food safety here in general. How accurate do yous think it is.
Also are health inspectors here actually doing anything to ensure safety or do they not care and take bribes?

If it’s that much of an issue to you then Japan would be your best choice. Definitely not China, though. The CCP have brought shame on themselves and their families with their failings at dealing with disgusting wet markets.

I love the wet markets here as they are a cook’s paradise. Today, my husband and I bought 1/2 jin peeled shrimp, chili, cilantro and then stopped for a baguette. Lunch was shrimp ajillo with bread and salad for 380 for 2.

13 Likes

I love the whole process of checking out the ingredients, then thinking of something to cook. The experience is so much better than a supermarket if you are a foodie.

That dish looks fantastic, btw.

3 Likes

Simple is best. Sauteed garlic, chili, smoked paprika in lots of olive oil and butter, add shrimp, cook till just done then add some lime, and something green like parsley, green onion, or cilantro. Finish with course salt. Only 2 minutes of cooking.

1 Like

I’ve also heard that most afternoon and morning market vendors are not farmers. Most of them buy bulk produce that has been rejected by grocery stores and that’s why they’re able to buy it at a discount.
Anyone heard anything like that?

Why was the produce rejected i wonder, contaninated goods? Hmm

Most of the produce I buy at Carrefour/PX Mart are not fresh.

For example the garlic is pre-sprouted. I even seen them sprouted on the shelf. Oftentimes I take them home and there are green inside the garlic and the garlic isn’t crunchy but squishy when I crush them.

Almost all traditional market garlic I bought have not only been cheaper than supermarkets, but they are all very crunchy when you squish it, with no hint of a sprout when you do. They only sprout if they’ve been sitting for 2 months.

1 Like

I think that needs to be rephrased a little bit.

There are exceptions to any of this but in general.

Meat that will not be accepted by grocery store could easily reach a market. But not all of it is something that has been or would be rejected by a grocery. Market meat can easily be the cheapest lowest quality available. A lot of market meat goes to the beef noodle shop and other shops and they are not looking for quality, they’re looking to get the lowest price and pass it on to the customer.

Morning Market vendors are selling the freshest. Afternoon market vendors are mostly selling what’s left over from whatever or wherever.

Every city has one or more wholesale meat markets. That’s where most everything originates on almost a daily basis. Even if you see one little stall selling meat, it originated at the wholesale Market at 2 a.m. in the morning

2 Likes

Nonsense.
They aren’t farmers, true, the farmers are down south and out in the counties.
Middle men buy from the farmers and sell to the market dealers.
Why on earth would the thousands of people who shop every day at the fresh market keep coming back if they were selling inferior grade produce??

5 Likes

To save money?

1 Like

That’s what really puts me off in markets - why the F do they have to touch everything? even in supermarket pick package up put it down over and over again then walk off. While I’m standing behind waiting to buy what looks good at right price.

2 Likes

I know quality produce and I get it at the market I go to.

This whole thread is bollocks.

1 Like

I’ve yet to fall ill from any of the meat or produce I’ve bought at the traditional market in my neighborhood. Restaurant and street food’s another matter, but even when I do roll the dice with them and lose I typically don’t suffer for long.

sorry to hear of your challenge. I can appreciate the concern because I have serious food allergies.

Honestly, I don’t recall many food issues in TW when I was there. But that’s just my experience and I’m sure there were. I was just too busy stuffing my face. :joy:

But you’re on the right path in researching before jumping. I would say Taipei is your best bet because the expectations for sanitation is much higher.

Best of luck!

1 Like