Does Taiwan have wet markets, if so how sanitary

They slaughter animals out of markets now in slaughter houses, one of my friends is nick named “Pig Killer” as it is their family business. Slaughtering at markets became prohibited a few years ago.

1 Like

There are other reasons for food to be rejected including levels of pesticides

Im not claiming to have proof, I’m just asking if anyone else has heard similar things.

I’m still waiting for something other than anecdotal evidence
Edit. @tango42 have some good insight

Nope, none like that in Japan. We do have fish markets, but they have refrigerators (out back and ice trays in front). We also have butcher shops and they also have refrigerators … and food hygiene inspections and certificates on display … etc.

Singapore probably much the same, but over the bridge in Malaysia maybe not so much.

1 Like

the rejected food could be sold at traditional markets, but most of venders may buy the same vegetables from the middle men.

A bit old, but how vegetables are sold.

Supermarkets may have extra check, but still could sell vegetables with extra pesticides.

2 Likes

You better stay out of the US too, if they ever start letting people in again…

2 Likes

The issue with the US is its farming practice is suspect and as a result the animal had to be pumped full of antibiotics to avoid dying from diseases (which of course cuts into profit). But basically US chicken for example are guaranteed to be full of salmonella, E coli infections was quite common, and at least for me I have found lots of questionable stuff in ground beef (as in stuff that should not be in ground beef).

2 Likes

Lets hear it.

He’s right.
I once bit into a non-peer reviewed dissertation on free will vs. determinism in my Jack in the Box.

2 Likes

a part that looked like it came from an organ rather than just meat…

As long as it was a cow organ, that’s perfectly legal.
You know how burger places advertise 100% Beef?

Guess what?? :wink:

Recipe? in the cooking thread, of course.

1 Like

No. they might have gone to the bigger bulk markets to get some -like in Neihu- but for example where I live they mix and match stuff they grow, their neighbors grow, what they but at wholesaler or strait from the fishermen/poultry farms/pig farmers.

the local vendors supply veggies for local restaurants, which i have seen buying other ingredients such as pork or plates from stalls. Bigger venues require whole sellers, which you can see the little trucks carrying well labeled origin meats, for example.

I remember driving by the Taipei wholesale meat market one time late night / early morning.

Carcasses were piled up on the parking lot concrete high as a man stands. Being offloaded from little blue trucks arriving.

Hence the name BiggusDickus!

2 Likes

Sure they do, they get covid relief money to pay for it.

2 Likes

So THAT’S where i left it. I thought it had fallen into the trash.

You called me? image

Quite frankly, I would have expected considerably more diligence with respect to source verification :no_no:

I have never seen questionable stuff in ground beef in Taiwan, but then the laws on import is strict that they’d never allow offals in ground meat, not to mention people here eat offals so they’d never grind those up.

But beef is more expensive in Taiwan than in the states.

Right now beef is probably the same price or more in the US. Two weeks ago I was at the store and it was $6.99 for a lb. And this was at a regular grocery store.

Before the virus, it was $4.29 or so. On sale $1.99.