Does Taiwan have wet markets, if so how sanitary

I guess I remember beef being less than 2 dollars a pound if you bought the 5 pound pack from HEB

1 Like

Oh man. I wish. Might be in TX but where I’m at it’s high.

Yea, I remember the price at HEB for ground beef: (walmart prices are similar)

1lb about 3.50 (depending if it’s on sale or not) to about 3.99
3lb about 9.99
5lb about 15
10lb about 20

I don’t know about today however. If there’s a food shortage due to COVID-19 and lockdowns the price could be higher.

1 Like

How long ago were those prices?

It varies in my city because of the different chains. No HEB where I’m at. The most expensive beef I’ve seen is at Whole Foods and another local chain for 6.99 and higher.

Lower quality chains tend to be $4.99 or when on sale $1.99 for 5 lbs like HEB.

But recently with the virus, beef is sold out or just high in price. It’s going to be an expensive summer in the States and prices were already inching up before this pandemic.

Those prices were around 2017.

I don’t have up to date prices and HEB website doesn’t seem to work outside of the US. But Walmart.com still reports 2.39 for 1 pound roll of beef.

In Taiwan Kirkland ground beef is about 249NTD/kg The 3kg pack varies from 580-650 depending on weight. Beef patty has the same price/kg but is frozen in convenient burger patties which I can thaw out and make meat loaf out of if I want to. Burger patties is 599 for a pack of 24 which works out to around 25/patty.

1 Like

So 249 NT is what $7 almost. That is expensive but on par with what I’m seeing.

Just looked at HEB. Prices range from $3.29 to $13 for 3 lbs (70% lean). Their prices are slightly better than where I am at. I suspect maybe due to stock is more in TX than up where I’m at.

remember, 249nt is per kg which is twice the size of a pound… so it’s more like 125nt/pound.

1 Like

Thanks because I suck at converting.

Also remember this is Costco. Price per pound at say carrefour is higher (I think only about 20% more though)

1 Like

It’s the hormones, they are cheap.

Oh yea then you’re paying tariffs lol

S’pore does have wet markets like Taiwan, but they also have more Western Style supermarkets.

Well thx for the replies,ive decided i would be best going to Japan instead as its clearly more developed (most developed country on earth).
I did some digging and came across this ;

I have to say that after reading this im discuted that in a surposingly “first world” country that all this has happened and will likely continue. For health reasons its probably not a good idea to go to taiwan tbh especially coming from Australia where standards are a billion times higher.

Such a shame, taiwan could have alot of potential but seems no one has any care whatsoever, with the lack of sewage treatment and unsafe tap water is also proof of that.

There’s good and bad but Japan has its own problems too. Like some places refusing to serve foreigners…

I don’t know how Australia ranks but it must clearly be better than the US, as in the US there are a lot of food safety scandals too, even though food safety standard is pretty high there (supposedly).

I know first year I went back there bluebell ice creams were recalled because of some contamination.

Theres this youtuber who made this video on organic farming in taiwan.

Wonder how “legit” all this is, if its legit and not some face gaining farming thats secretely not organic then this might be the best shot at safer food.

I never bought into this organic craze. I figure it’s just better looking crop labeled as “organic”.

Remember Fukushima? It’s not the only example…

Scandals hit Japanese manufacturers as safety compliance takes backseat to deadlines

Japanese firm falsified earthquake safety data on 2020 Olympic venues

McDonald’s Japan apologises over safety woes

Scandals in food industry shatter safety myth

Takata Corporation Defective airbag recalls (2013–present)

Japan is a lovely country well worth spending time in. But don’t assume that what you see on the surface reflects what’s going on behind the scenes.

1 Like

Okay yes there’s a small percentage of people trying to do healthy organic farming and a smaller percentage actually succeeding.

So so much huge majority and most of Taiwan grown food is on the opposite side of the spectrum grown on unhealthy land with unhealthy water and unhealthy contaminants dropping from the air.

Has little relation to wet markets.

Can read through hundreds of examples of bad food in this food scare thread and other threads. A lot of this will make you want to stop eating any food originating in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Well i have to say that living here is asking for trouble, seems if u want serious health issues then move to this country. With all this is taiwan really a developed country? Because everyone says it is, ive always been told it is but im starting to doubt it.

You can easily just shop at Costco or similar, and live on imported food.
Consequently you have to avoid cheap lunch places and night markets.