Does Taiwanese law recognise Australian Marriage certificate

I’m wondering if Taiwanese law recognises Australian marriage certificate the same way it would recognise a local certificate? Does anyone know? Thanks!

[quote=“Punx”]I’m wondering if Taiwanese law recognises Australian marriage certificate the same way it would recognise a local certificate? Does anyone know? Thanks![/quote]It recognises a British one, you’ll have to get it translated at the Taiwan representative office in Australia.

Big Fluffy Matthew I definitely gotta agree with you.

Do you know if Taiwan recognises a marriage by two Australians here in Taiwan (for visa purposes)?

Also, if they do recognise Australian marriage certificates (for visa purposes) does it matter how long ago you got married (ie if only just married)?

Thanks

[quote=“gcat”]Do you know if Taiwan recognises a marriage by two Australians here in Taiwan (for visa purposes)?

Also, if they do recognise Australian marriage certificates (for visa purposes) does it matter how long ago you got married (ie if only just married)?

Thanks[/quote]

If it’s a legal document then of course they recognize it. You can have Immigration in Australia translate it into mandarin Chinese and then have the TECO office notorize it.

You may also need it notarized by Dept Foriegn Affairs in Oz as well.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]

If it’s a legal document then of course they recognize it. You can have Immigration in Australia translate it into Mandarin Chinese and then have the TECO office notorize it.

You may also need it notarized by Dept foreign Affairs in Oz as well.[/quote]

Sorry, my question was about if we get married here in Taiwan. I’ve heard that if you do this, then it becomes difficult to get a JFRV because of suspicions that the marriage was simply an exercise in visa-hunting.

I asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and all they’d tell me was ‘Yao kan qingkuang’: depends on the situation. When I asked them for more information they told me to come back when I was married and they’d answer my questions. What I wanted was a statement on the consequences of where we marry. Very frustrating.

[quote=“gcat”][quote=“Satellite TV”]

If it’s a legal document then of course they recognize it. You can have Immigration in Australia translate it into Mandarin Chinese and then have the TECO office notorize it.

You may also need it notarized by Dept foreign Affairs in Oz as well.[/quote]

Sorry, my question was about if we get married here in Taiwan. I’ve heard that if you do this, then it becomes difficult to get a JFRV because of suspicions that the marriage was simply an exercise in visa-hunting. [/quote]

Hi gcat,

Sorry, where did you hear this? Are you in Taipei City/County or some other city?

Often times, it feels that almost alll of Taiwan operates this way, doesn’t it :s

MOFA, BOCA cannot give you a definitive statement you’re seeking. Because as is the case here, it’s a case-by-case situation handled according to the particular clerk you deal with at a specific time.

Questions for consideration:

1. What’s your intention in Taiwan?
  2. What’s your intention for returning home to Australia?

Depending on the answers to these questions, different approaches can be taken, just as the MOFA person responded with “Yao kan qing kuang”. The “qing kuang” aspect is influenced by your history of stay and related documentation in Taiwan.

Feel free to call our office.

BR,