Does TARC holder need a working permit?

Hello,
I am a foreigner, I got TARC through working in Taiwan. Recently, I am renouncing my original citizenship. Must I have a working permit to work in Taiwan? IF you get APRC, you can apply for a working permit by yourself. But it seems there are no similar criterias for TARC. Thanks

Wait wait. Did you get a TARC or an ARC?

if Taiwanese is your only nationality, you don’t need a work permit.

Though, you may need some other eligibility to keep your TARC, if you lose your work permit.
Unless you are doing naturalization.

I got a TARC(台灣地區居留證) with a Residence No. (10932xxxxxx) not an ARC. My original passport is expired and I cannot renew because I am renouncing now and waiting for a stateless. IF I apply for a working permit do I still need an original passport?

Hi Tando, Thank you very much for quick reply and useful information.
My situation are:
I am doing naturalization
I would like to change my job. And company doesnt know I need a working permit or not. (the old one based on recent company is still valid)
My passport is expired and cannot renew. (My renunciation is processing) so I havenot received the certification for a stateless.

Let me confirm.

You were on work based ARC.
Then applied for a naturalization, and convert your ARC to TARC.
Then you are waiting for the certificate of renunciation of your original nationality and your passport is already expired.

Right?

So, your residency is not a problem.

I’m sure you don’t need a work permit once you get a the certificate, but until then, I’m not sure.
You could ask to Workforce Development Agency of Ministry of Labor how you should do.

Thank you Tando,
Yes, right.
As schedule, I may get the certificate of renunciation in April. But the new company need to know now and then help to apply working permit.
Actually, I should know that situation and renew my passport before doing renunciation. I hope other people should care about that.
By the way, I will ask Workforce Development Agency of MOL
Thank again for your help.

Hello @Billy how are you! Do you have any updates on your case?
especially about do TARC holder need a working permit?

Billy is in a special situation because his passport is expired. If you are on TARC and had a marriage-based A(P)RC, you do not need a work permit, it will say so on the card itself. If you were on a work-based A(P)RC you still need a work permit which will still be valid since it is based on your passport.

If you renounce your original citizenship, you do not need a work permit since you don’t have a foreign passport anymore and nothing else but ROC Nationality.

2 Likes