Does the massive Asian-American killings last few days scare anyone from USA travel?

Saw the Japanese news reports as did my relatives in Japan and now worry I travel there? I been to the USA many times and feel fine, but does it scare anyone here to travel there? I don’t like people to message me a lot with their worries.

And today another big one neat San Francisco

Both those stories are Asians doing the killing.

Are you suggesting Americans should be scared of Asians doing massive killing?

It’s already scary enough in America with non-Asians doing mass killing.

4 Likes

I was kind of relieved after leaving the US that I no longer had to worry about being a victim of random gun violence, but it was replaced with the people who disregard traffic laws and human lives on the road every day. I’d say the threat of me becoming a victim in a traffic violence is more real than gun violence.

13 Likes

I know that. I had thought, or maybe its wrong that Asian areas are more safe. No matter the the killer was Asian, he seemed to target other Asians which could be me or am thinking too much into this?

Asians with bad eyes are worse shots so I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

Statistically the US is . . . not doing great.

The driving there does seem better than the driving in Taiwan, though.

Guy

5 Likes

My dad always thinks Vietnamese people are gangsters and criminals.

One more caveat: the US gun murder problem is, historically speaking, really a US guy gun murder problem. Here are more stats to consider:

Guy

5 Likes

Don’t want to cut someone off, they might shoot you!

So what you’re saying is, we need to close the gender gap?

Drivers in the US actually do obey traffic signals! I could happily cross the street as a pedestrian without thinking “Will I be run over?”

I present these points in the name of fairness. The gun stuff though . . . aiyaiyai. :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

1 Like

I am pointing out that this is a guy problem—full stop.

Guy

Not a gun problem, then?

I think the first chart I posted above should make this clear.

Guy

You said it’s a guy problem - period.

1 Like

Why can’t it be a people-who-own-guns problem?

1 Like

Quoted for truth. I’m glad we finally know where the blame lies.

2 Likes

Objectively speaking, the US is worse in terms of traffic deaths per 100k inhabitants per year: 12.4 (US) vs 12.1 (TW).

Source: List of countries by traffic-related death rate - Wikipedia

You have a different interpretation of the history of gender stats presented above?

Or do you think these overwhelmingly gendered stats are irrelevant?

Guy

Yes, but it seems impossible to get rid of guns. Would it be possible for the US to get rid of guys?

Maybe a law that guys can’t own guns would work?

1 Like

I personally think that men are more aggressive biologically and we see this in every culture. Women may be less likely than men to shoot people, but women who own guns must be more likely to shoot people than women who don’t own guns. Or children of gun owners will be more likely to shoot people than children of people who are not gun owners.

I won’t argue that men are not more aggressive. I believe in biology. I also believe that gendered statistics are useful in other ways, such as if we look at the educational attainment gap or the prison gap or the death gap. Ignoring the gendered statistics there isn’t going to lead to less resentment, crime, or violence.

But what would lead to less deaths, as per your first chart, is less guns.

3 Likes