I live in downtown Kaohsiung. It is an oven, that is why I keep all windows open allowing the ocean breeze to blow through. In the bedroom at night I use AC to sleep, but mostly at around 27 ot 25 degree. My sinus dries up easily and gets sinusitis, so I prefer sweating than being chronically ill. When you are in underwear, the termperature infron of the fan is just perfect. No freezing, no sweating, just a bit below body temperature so the body can get rid of excess heat. When sitting infront of a screen all day, this is totally fine. If I start moving around, cooking, etc, I definitely take a shower after I am finished with my actions.
Yea, I guess that could work if you have windows. My place has none though (and it’s probably why the landlord can’t find any tenants, who wants to live in a windowless apartment??).
It’s insulated from the sun’s heat and all that but at the same time there’s almost no airflow to mitigate heat either. So either you tolerate sweating or you turn on the AC. What’s worse is it has few places to install them.
Omg, I would go insane in a windowless apartment (since I spend sometimes weeks without leaving the house). So if I can’t at least get some sunlight through the windows I would wither like a plant without light.
Yeah, working from home is great sometimes. ![]()
Do you mean for the entire year? That sounds really cheap. Or for each two-month period?
Better to try and get more paid work then, like the rest of us working for ourselves from home need to do. If I went out all the time instead of working because it was too hot, I might also have difficulty paying for the AC. ![]()
If I leave my windows open here in Taipei all I get is the traffic breeze flowing through.
Gotta move closer to the shore then. I am right at the ocean, so there’s that.
But in winter? Different story… No matter where you go in the south, you simply cannot escape the abysmal air polution. But yeah, smoking is bad for your health - so is living in Taiwan.
An informative piece from Bloomberg, accessed via today’s Taipei Times, explains why such temperatures are Bad News for human beings and other forms of life on earth.
This article mentions the deaths of a young family and their dog during a hiking excursion in California:
Whether a given temperature can kill depends on humidity, wind velocity and direct exposure to sunlight, as well as a person’s level of exertion, body size and clothing. Temperatures reached 48°C where a man and his young stepson died hiking last month in Texas, but it was just 41°C when a young couple, their baby daughter, and the family dog all died in 2021 while hiking in California.
That California case was chronicled in the book The Heat Will Kill You First by Jeff Goodell. The young parents had brought what seemed like ample water. When they set out, the temperature was only in the 20s. They had planned to be home before the worst heat set in.
However, the hike started downhill. Getting back to their car required a 701m climb up a slope in direct sunlight. They never made it.
This case reminded me of the recent death of a man in Xinbei who attempted to hike as part of a group in the Ruifang district back on that Saturday when temperatures hit 38 degrees in the Taipei City basin. I am convinced that his body simply got overloaded from the heat, leading to his death. If forumosans are interested, this case was discussed here:
Guy
The US Congress might need to step in; as my Bloomberg Opinion colleague Mark Gongloff wrote, Texas just added a law that would allow employers to deny workers breaks for water and shade even in 46°C heat.
Some heads need to be separated from their bodies.
The government of Texas seems—at least to this outsider—to specialize in its own brand of extreme cruelty. It’s not as blantantly stupid as Florida, but in cases like this it does seem simply mean. ![]()
Guy
I’ll take Texas style culture over most governance in the world
![]()
Hurrah for God, Guns, the Cowboy culture, etc.
They don’t freeze bank accounts of trucker protests in Texas like they do in some Marxist areas!!!
(70) The Yellow Rose of Texas - YouTube
(70) Marty Robbins - El Paso (Audio) - YouTube
We’ll sing the songs together, We sang so long ago
I’ll play my banjo gaily, And sing the songs of yore,
the Yellow Rose of Texas, will be mine forevermore.
Or spend so unwisely
The limousine and luxury-suite lifestyle of our oblivious leadership | National Post
Point of interest: The Yellow Rose of Texas was originally written by a black man to his black woman lover. The original words were
“She’s the sweetest little darkie
That Texas ever knew”
They were changed because white Texans thought it was inappropriate to sing songs lauding black people.
That doesn’t seem accurate. Just for a start you got the original lyric wrong, and the song’s history is long and convoluted. Seems hard to imagine say Mitch Miller singing the original lyrics.
My source was an English professor specialising in early southern folklore
Trudier Harris (born February 1948) is an American literary scholar, author, and Professor Emerita at the University of Alabama. She was the J. Carlyle Sitterson Distinguished Professor at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.[1][2][3]
It appears in this
“The Yellow Rose of Texas”: The Ironic Origins of a Popular Song •.
If you are referring to the line “She’s the sweetest little darkie”, it appears in most early versions of the song.
Still, song origins are often obscure.
Like most minstrel songs, the lyrics are written in a cross between a parody of a generic creole dialect historically attributed to African-Americans and standard American English. The song is written in the first person from the perspective of an African-American singer who refers to himself as a “darkey,” longing to return to “a yellow girl” (that is, a light-skinned, or bi-racial woman born of African/African-American and European-American progenitors)
If wiki assures me it was written by white Texans to shit on black people, I certainly find that believable.
(Don’t know this is in this thread, except it’s ChewDawg, and h doen’t follow any gawdblam rules about subject matter.
I prefer to spin it as an elite “stream of consciousness” that educates many. ![]()
In this specific thread, I was responding to Texas-bashing, which I didn’t start, and comparing such ridiculous stereotyping to real-life authoritarian practices up North.
It sure has felt hot in Taipei. I wonder if scientists have any theories or explanations. They do? I see.
Guy
High 32 low 25 forecast for today in Taiwan. I’ve never seen hot weather drag on for so long there. Meanwhile here in northern Japan high today is 14 and low 4 so endless hot weather doesn’t seem to be a universal problem in the Asia Pacific region.






