Does the US Provoke Wars?

Welcome to the Internet. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes. I may not agree with him (for me, there’s always nuance when it comes to questions of military involvement), but I respect his point of view.

2 Likes

I thought the GOP was historically more isolationist. But, it’s not clear for sure.

That’s really going back!

1 Like

Panama Invasion, Gulf War, Afghanistan Invasion, Iraq War…yeah, not so much.

1 Like

Prior to the first and the second world war, people in the non-interventionism camp didn’t want US troops fighting in foreign wars. Most of them had no issue with supplying weapons to countries or with proxy wars.

That is not the same position as what Dore is pushing in that video. Dore is saying that we instigated the conflict by merely supplying weapons and training for Ukraine to defend itself, and we are doing the same thing by providing defensive weapons to Taiwan, and we are provoking a war with China. His non-interventionism is much more extreme and not consistent with US non-interventionism in the past.

I’m thinking more recent history than that, which really came to the fore during the Vietnam years.

There is an argument that we didn’t have to become involved in Ukraine and even provoked the conflict in ways. Even Obama stated that it wasn’t in our interest to become involved there. Now we’re pumping in money there that could be used for other things at home, which leftists like Dore have always pushed for. Not to mentioned having a greatly heightened risk of becoming embroiled in a full-on war with a nuclear power. The same kind of situation may be developing in Taiwan, from their point of view, and would even involve American lives if so. There’s a consistency to the position, agree or disagree.

There’s always going to be dissenting voices on these kind of things. If you want a US that’s more hawkish than it already is down to the last Youtuber, you’re asking for a lot :slight_smile:

It’s interesting that they can get a voice on Fox with Tucker, and I can see how it is a threat of sorts, but these are the realities of an open society.

1 Like

We had soldiers on the ground in both the Vietnam and Korean wars. So… not the same is it?

I am of the school of thought that real anti-war message isn’t to “Never get involved in any war no matter the circumstances at all costs”, the anti-war message that actually will get us world peace “Never start an invasion, and always stop invaders, even if they are invading someone else.”

1 Like

I’m talking about the significant anti-war movement that I would trace back to those years, and which never really died out.

Not arguing with you on that, it’s not far from how I feel about it. In my opinion Dore is delivering an authentic viewpoint and not “propaganda”, was my point.

1 Like

I think Obama was referring to sending US troops and offensive weapons to Ukraine. Obama was the one who started sending defensive weapons and provided training to the Ukrainians.

By March 2015, the Obama administration had provided more than $120 million in security aid for Ukraine and promised $75 million worth of equipment, including counter-mortar radars, night vision devices and medical supplies, according to the Defense Department. The U.S. also pledged 230 Humvee vehicles.

The U.S. aid offer came after Putin in 2014 annexed Crimea and provided support for separatists in eastern cities.

Ultimately between 2014 and 2016, the Obama administration committed more than $600 million in security aid to Ukraine.

In the last year of the Obama administration, the U.S. established the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative, which provided U.S. military equipment and training to help defend Ukraine against Russian aggression. From 2016 to 2019, Congress appropriated $850 million for this initiative.

1 Like

I was thinking of this

I don’t feel that way. Letting bullies do what they want isn’t a way to prevent future bullying. I’m highly suspicious of anyone who claims it would.

1 Like

I accept that people have the right to their opinions and voice. In fact, I see it as a core value that I wouldn’t be willing to sacrifice because it might simplify our involvement in a foreign conflict, whatever reason is behind it.

I think the title is deliberately misleading because in the article it’s clear that Obama was saying that’s how Putin sees it, not how he himself sees it.

“Putin acted in Ukraine in response to a client state that was about to slip out of his grasp. And he improvised in a way to hang on to his control there,” he said. “He’s done the exact same thing in Syria, at enormous cost to the well-being of his own country. And the notion that somehow Russia is in a stronger position now, in Syria or in Ukraine, than they were before they invaded Ukraine or before he had to deploy military forces to Syria is to fundamentally misunderstand the nature of power in foreign affairs or in the world generally. Real power means you can get what you want without having to exert violence. Russia was much more powerful when Ukraine looked like an independent country but was a kleptocracy that he could pull the strings on.”

Well, it’s from the Atlantic Council so hardly surprising :slight_smile: Anyway, that’s what Obama said, I don’t think that is disputed. It just happened to be the first thing I found with it now.

Me too, but letting bullies get away with whatever they want to do flies against that core belief, since that would result in the people being bullied losing the right to their opinions and voices.

:man_shrugging:

That’s his problem. Again, I was just saying that I believe it is his honestly held opinion and not some form of “propaganda”.

Then his honest opinion would encourage dictators like Putin and Xi down a path that would involve the US into a war.

Biden man bad, look even lefties agree!

Noninvolvement, military aid, proxy war…all of these could end up with the U.S. being involved in a boots-on-the-ground war somewhere down the line.

“China falling to the communists is the worst thing to happen to the United States this century” - John F Kennedy

The US-China direct war should have happened in 1949. Instead we have had 70+ years of diplomatic kicking the can down the road.

Every major world event has been caused either by China or Chinese proxies on behalf of Beijing. It has been a constant battle to deter China for decades - even begrudgingly letting them into the WTO, establishing PNTR with Beijing, etc and turning our head the other way plenty of times just to keep relations on a positive note.

The US has without a doubt gone way above and beyond in all aspects to avoid conflict with China. Instead the US has been met with nothing but constant subversion by the CCP and CCP proxies in all areas of the world.

3 Likes