Does this beef fat work for gravy/sauces?

I am curious what exactly this is, my chinese and google are a bit confused. I assume its fat cut offs from the butcher but im not so fluent in the meat world. Would this work in stead of roast drippings? Wanting to make gravy for some friends visiting and only have supe salty chicken broth, butter and these…

NT$50. Give it a try. What’s to lose for that much? A bit of time! I’d add a dash of red wine, and some pan juices kept back from a recent fried steak. The S/O just threw out a cup of gravy I was keeping!

Here is a gravy mix

Demi glace is basically gravy

We like making things from scratch. That premade bag i will pass on, but thanks for the suggestion.

I want to try it out, however to come clean i am a vegetarian and i really dislike buying animals products and throwing them out. So its not about the 50nt personally, its i want to make sure it is actually useful and then i can buy it and make it for my friends. I realise many wont agree with my logic, but there it is. If it is basically beef lard or some such, then i have confidence but actually still quite unsure what exactly it is haha.

Actually gravy has little fat in it.
Lard is usually molten down and is used in pastries and other delicacies, or for frying. Or you could use it to mix with ground meat for patties or sausages, salami.

I say render some lard for a pie crust. Lard makes the best crusts.

1 Like

Traditionally we used horse lard or beef lard for deep frying Belgian fries. Or, donut like pastries.

A few of my vegetarian friends have no beef with buying fat and bones as those are wasted scrap. And in my opinion some of the most useful parts. I’ve rendered fat to lard. It’s pretty simple. This article has a lot of fluff, but describes the process. I had to open my doors cause even though I’m no longer vegetarian, the smell still gets to me. If you are making gravy, don’t worry about straining it as you will want some meat pieces to brown

1 Like

Cheers for all those thoughts. I think my true colors are ahining through, i am REALLY bad with meat related vocabulary, and now realize maybe stating lard was wrong.

Maybe should just do the kiss method, cause i am stupid. What is it exactly in the picture? Then can work from there.

I am pretty much like bree on this. The only thing worse to me than factory farmed animals is wasted food. I wont rant, but byproducts i am a huge fan of. Though to be honest this thing gives me gag reflexes that can only be related to a psychological miscalculation haha. But i am trying!

We make gravy all the time using broth and butter. Could this beef “stuff” replace the butter? Im dumbfounded why i still dont get what this stuff is, but truly my brain is not recognizing it and i have killed many animals and butchered them when younger. Super strange feeling.