Dogs on one foot chains a suggestion

Many dogs all over the world are kept on chains and leashes. Especially when they are kept in back yards. If this is justified or not is another issue. However in most countries of the world the dogs are kept on chains or leashes larger than one foot.
There seems to be an awful lot of dogs on small chains and leashes here. What I suggest that you do is this.
(1) If you see a dog in your local area on a small chain or leash, then offer the owner a new longer chain or leash. Actually show him or her the longer leash or chain. Do this all politely and say some bullshit like you are working for a joint Taiwan Amercian dog organization blah blah.
(2) Actually help him to change the short leash for the longer one. Then you thank them for their kindness and go on your way.

The result is the dog now has a leash or chain that is longer than it originally was and the dog is happier. IF you ask them not to put their dog on a short leash without an alternative then they will not do it. Offer something practical instead. Incidentally there is a practical reason as to why dogs are sometimes kept on very short leashes or chains. This is because sometimes if kept on longer ones the dog will choke itself (strangle itself by getting twisted up). This is easy to prevent, as many long dog leashes and dog chains now sold in pet shops have a little swivel on the end that prevents this. However not many realise this in Taiwan that is why sometimes, they are kept on short chains and not long ones (but usually it is just ignorance). Now for the extreme animal rights people this may seem like you are giving and should not compromise, and dogs should never be on chains or leashes, well may be true; but this is at least one practical way that you can relieve their suffering a lot and almost immediately. Yes you will have to pay for the replacement chain, or you could even sell it to them, that way they won’t feel they are losing face about being cruel to their animal and think you a re just trying to sell them a better leash.
Anyway just an idea. There are also big cages availabe in the USA or UK called dog crates. You could always start a little door to door business replacing small cages for big ones. THERE ARE NO BIG CAGES AROUND THAT IS WHY MANY DOGS ARE KEPT IN SMALL ONES. Many dog cages in the UK are around 6ft long.

Great suggestion about the chain, Fenlander.

About cages… I don’t know… The price for a 36x24 cage is in the neighbourhood of 1500NT. Bigger cages cost more. I don’t see people buying these and going door to door with them. :wink:

If I can add two things to your recommendation;

1) 8 foot chains with swivels are sold in most “everything stores.” You know the stores that sell plastic things, clothes, electronics, housewares, etc. We call them “plastic stores.” In the tools section, they have chains for dogs on sale for only 70NT. It’s a small price to pay to change the life of an animal. Small change maybe…But considering that many dogs spend their entire life on a short chain, it’s a considerable improvement…

2) Make sure the dog is tied where it has shelter from the rain. If it’s not, suggest a better place to tie the dog. Somewhere away from obstacles for the pooch to tangle his chain. Cold winter rain can really take it out of a dog… I see it too often. Releasing the dog will make no difference as chances are the dog will not stray from his food source and will be back on the chain the same day.

I think that if you did this diplomatically then most people would swap chains and even pay you the price. If not then you sacrifice 70 nt dollars to help a dogs life. Sure it is better if they are not on the chain at all but WE KNOW THAT AINT GOING TO HAPPEN.
About shelter I agree, but don’t know how much we could get them to do in one chat without them getting their backs up. Perhaps carry a leaflet in Chinese and pretend it is from a reputable organization (that doesn’t exist). The leaflet could even include the “Taiwan where we care about animals poster (from CKS airport)” ; it would have tips for shelter and very importantly the availability of water in hot weather etc etc. So you would leave them a leaflet as well as a LONG chain. Imagine it; a dog goes from a one foot chain to four foot one and is also left a big bowl for water, that is now always full. What a change in the life of an animal. We could make a huge improvement. Just ten of us doing this could help a lot. Chains and leashes are not perishable items, they last a long time. People would use them or give them to friends for years and years. People would even ask others where they got their’s from. If anyone suceeds at this then send us all a before and after picture.
Good luck
p.s.
Thanks bobepine for the positive feedback. It is all too easy to slam these ideas, but i was trying to think of something simple and practical to do. However these pet shops should be doing this instead they should be supplying the leaflets and advice !

I went to a pet shop today to look for longer chains, but the cheapest cost 250NT. I’ll go to a plastic shop to look for it, but I doubt that I would find a 70NT chain.

[quote=“Sherryx”]I went to a pet shop today to look for longer chains, but the cheapest cost 250NT. I’ll go to a plastic shop to look for it, but I doubt that I would find a 70NT chain.[/quote]You bet! With swivels and the dog leash clipping thingy. Made for dogs. I bought two of them just recently. If you can’t find them, pm me and I’ll tell you where to go. I’m sure you will find them in most bigger plastic stores, though.

Another thing I tried today was to go to that guy with the dogs with no water. Do you remember, bobepine? I offered him two water bowls for his dogs that he refused. No matter how I tried. He says he gives his dogs water after they have eaten and that’s that.

AND all his other dogs are gone. Now he has new dogs. I asked him what happened to his other dogs and he said he sold them. Now, I don’t know what Taiwanese is going to buy a full grown, aggressive, previously street dog! I think he picks dogs up and sells them for meat. But unlike Mordeth who could see the evidence clearly, it’s difficult to tell with this man, 'cause his “work-place” is so covered up! I feel so helpless 'cause I can’t do anything to better the life of those dogs! :frowning:

Why do you think he is selling the dogs for meat ?
The very fact that you mentioned the water bowls would of done some good. He probably gives them more water in private now.
The key to success in this stategy of exchaning chains and water bowls etc is finding a face saving way. If there is a risk in loss of face then any help will be refused. Any suggestions on the psychology of this would be appreciated.

You could praise the person for looking after the dogs, and then offer a gift. Water bowls. Just a thought…

In your case, SherryX, you could go to seven eleven and get the dogs some paper bowls. Give the dogs water every time you drive by there. I can’t see that man giving you a hard time for giving 7-11 water bowls to his dogs. He may end up doing it himself so that you don’t have to do it. Who knows. I remember those dogs. I figured they were the dogs you wanted to buy chains for… Poor things…

Sherryx, I found it interesting that this man refused water bowls for his dogs because I’ve had a similar issue with a pet shop nearby my school. I’ve noticed that the animals there (piglets, kittens, mice, hamsters, etc.) never have any water. The first time I saw it, I assumed that because they were quite busy in the shop that they hadn’t noticed that a rabbit had no water. I filled it’s water dispenser from the tap outside. The next time I passed, I checked on the rabbit. Again, no water. This time I brought it up with the staff. They said that it had just run out (b.s., I’m sure). Since then, I have been told by the shop staff and several other places that they don’t give them water all the time. Why? Because they will pee if they do. I told them that animals should always have a supply of clean fresh water to keep them healthy. “They don’t want water, anyway.” As well, “if the animals pee in the cages, we have to clean them too often and customers don’t like the smell of the pee.”

I guess that what it comes down to is that it’s just too much trouble. How sad. Sadder yet, I can’t find anyone who say’s this is wrong at the government animal health office.

Most animals should always have fresh water of course, but rabbits and hamsters need very very little – wild ones don’t drink water at all as they get all they need from their food.

Really? I didn’t know that. Shouldn’t they have water available to them, however? It seems cruel to me to see puppies and the like to have water withheld for the same reasons. I guess that I can understand it if not supplying water is limited to those animals who don’t need it, but it just seems as though all the animals in some of these places are held to the same standards. Maybe I am making too much of it, but it doesn’t feel right. Thanks for the info, Sandman - now I’m starting to want to learn more!

Of course dogs and cats and such should have water available to them and if they don’t I guess you could report the store to… to… who, Stray Dog? Who can you report abuse such as this to? They have tough animal protection laws here, if you can get them enforced.

Please, if you see anything that contravenes the Animal Protection Law, contact the Taipei Municipal Institute for Animal Health and report it. Get evidence and document what you see. Ask to speak to Amanda Han (tmiah033@tmiah.tcg.gov.tw / 02 8789 7133), as she speaks great English and comes highly recommended by the RSPCA as being an animal-welfare officer with great potential.

Animal Protection Law, Article 5.

Article 11.

[quote]Animal keepers shall provide proper medical care for their animals in the event of injury or illness.

A medical treatment of and surgical operation on animals shall be carried out by a veterinarian in accordance with the requirements of the animals’ health and management, except in the cases of emergency, scientific utilization, or other conditions specified by the competent central organization.
[/quote]

Animal Protection Law in full: http://www.gio.gov.tw/info/98html/aplaw.htm
TMIAH Website: http://www.tmiah.tcg.gov.tw/homepage/frameset_set4.jsp
TMIAH No.: Tel: 02-87897131 (for Animal Protection Law enforcement - this department also oversees pet shops and breeders and the issuance of licenses.)

The TMIAH has successfully penalised offenders in over 200 cases in the last couple of years. If more people report animal abuse or cruelty, this office will have to do even more.

Please, report what you see and follow up to see what the TMIAH is doing. (Don’t lose your patience with them, as they do what they can with the resources they have, and we don’t want them to stop trying because foreigners start shouting at them for the red-tape the government wraps them up in.)

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Sean

Can that ^^^^post be made a “Sticky note” at the top of the forum?
Are there branches in other counties?

That is the information needed to get things done “Legally” cough , we know this doesn’t always work…but, that there are Local people who are working towards this makes it far more likely that things will/ can change for the better for our furry buddies.

Sad to say…they would be innundated with cases…

Wondering if maltreated includes living in a cage 24/7 through storms and heat alike, never let out, and cages so small these dogs can’t walk two steps forward…
These dogs are a massive breed ( don’t know which breed ) horrible sight.The owners sit outside at night with the dogs locked up…sooo want to get a set of huge steel cutters…

TMIAH will put you in touch with your local authority (actually, the initiate the process with them).

The problem is how the inspector judged what is and isn’t maltreatment. I would suggest acting supportive, and mention that you are posting on th eINternet about this case and how wonderful it is that the local authority will end the animals’ suffering.

We will be having a log of all such cases on our website, including photos, and a record of the outcome of each case. We will also be showing who to write to if you feel the judgement was unfair to the animal.

The most important thing is that we complain, but that we do so in a supportive ‘I am so happy Taiwan doesn’t allow this kind of abuse’ kind of way.

Good luck!

Sean

yeah and rabbits often eat their own droppings. This is because the first time the food goes through the system it is not broken down properly so they digest the dropping a second time. So if your rabbit is eating its droppings it might be for a reason !

Caged animals need water. Rabbits eating the sort of shit pet shops feed them need water. The very fact that rabbits in cages drink water if it is provided proves that the water is necessary (otherwise they wouldn’t drink it).

Animals without water will die very young. Not of course that pet shop owners give a fuck, nor the morons who buy animals from pet shops.

[quote=“Lord Lucan”]Caged animals need water. Rabbits eating the sort of shit pet shops feed them need water. The very fact that rabbits in cages drink water if it is provided proves that the water is necessary (otherwise they wouldn’t drink it).

Animals without water will die very young. Not of course that pet shop owners give a fuck, nor the morons who buy animals from pet shops.[/quote]

agree with the above, good post.

BTW, I think the suggestion to offer owners a free (longer) chain is a good one.

[url=Pets info, pets problems, vets lists, Taiwan animals, etc - #2 by bobepine :slight_smile: