Doing minor renovations

Anyone have any experience fixing up an apartment? We found a pretty good deal in the city, but the place needs a little love.

The landlord is cool with us painting and we don’t mind putting about 10k into making it look nicer.

I know I have to run out to B & Q this week but thought I’d see what you thought about doing minor renovations.

Can I paint and put in some simple track lights for around 10k? Painting is kind of a pain in the ass, but right now it’s the nasty green color.

It’s got the standard issue fluorescent lighting scheme which isn’t really livable. I guess lamps can always work, but I like the warmth from above.

Was thinking of the floors, but the place is kind of big so maybe some throw rugs will have to do.

I have a friend that made a cheap rental look really stylish and cool. Anyone done something similar?

Cheers in advance for any tips/feedback!

I’ve done a lot of stuff. The most important thing is to have some woman telling you exactly what to do and how to do it and complaining that you are too slow.

I always get one of B&Q paint kits. they’re anywhere from 100NT to 300NT and has the tray, a roller, a couple of brushes. And then when you finish, you can just throw it all away.

As far as painting is concerned, you should leave that to the people in the blue vans. I tried the same thing, but its tough, overseas, its easy. Here, you would have problems with disposal. i.e. if you rip out the floor to tile, where are you going to dump the tiles?

I think decorating yourself sounds in, but the DIY… tsk… I suggest against this, and back in SA you could not get me to get anyone in for anything, I was as DIY as they come.

Forfeit for a few days, the dudes will be in and out in no time, this is taiwan, time is money, they can paint while you poker with the boys.

LOL.

The paint kit sounds good. But I think I’ll probably require something a little bigger. It’s about a 30 ping place.

Good point. I’ll ask the landlord if he can recommend any good local guys for this. Noted on the tiles, but it’s basically just one huge room that’s sectioned off with those 3/4 walls. If I was going to do the floors I’d just lay it down on top of the existing dark green speckled junk that’s been there for the last 30 years. But considering the size and the fact that we’ll probably only stay there for 1yr, then I guess I should stick to the budget.

What’s a fair price for painters by chance?