Domestic Violence and the Workplace

What if any responsibility does an employer have if they learn of a domestic violence situation that an employee is facing?

I’m not sure about Taiwan but I know in the US it’s the responsibility of the employer to ensure a safe workplace. I have also heard if the safety of children are at risk this must be reported.

Apart from legal obligations, have any of you faced this situation and how did you respond?

1 Like

I would immediately try to figure out what the Gender Equity laws are concerning your workplace.

In the educational sector, workers aware of any form of abuse or harassment must report it to the Gender Equity Office at our institution within a particular time frame or those workers are deemed to be complicit with this abuse or harassment.

I have no idea what sorts of regulations apply in other sectors however.

Guy

Thanks I will get professional advice on the regulations before reporting. I don’t want to make matters worse if the person in question is planning to leave the situation but unable to right away.

I’ve found this which simply states that the employer should encourage self reporting, ensure the workplace is safe, accommodate days off etc., similar to the US.

https://wlb.mol.gov.tw/page/Print.aspx?id=447

1 Like