Doner Kebab - Taipei's 1st & only Turkish Grill!

I went to the Warner Village outlet the other day. I had the Falafel in flat bread and some Ayran. The Falafel balls were good given that they were pre-made. A big plus for the fact that they had flat bread (authentic!). The filling wasn’t that authentic though, it was the same stuff you get at Subway :s The Ayran was too sweet, it’s supposed to be salty as hell, and it was full of lumps. Still I’m happy that I can get this stuff at all in Taipei :smiley:

if u guys really wanna eat real Turkish food, please check on TRUVA. http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=41557 is being discussed before but maybe some of u missed that. I will be also uploading the website soon which is www.truva.com w./the new menu.

Sure thing that we turkish people do not eat sweet doner Kebap (not kebab) or sweet Ayran. :smiley:

Yes buddy, it’s me, Tim (or Timucin - my turkish name). Already opened the restaurant and running for last 5 months. The name of the restaurant is TRUVA which is located in An-ho road. Chefs r also from Turkey you are right about that. Thanks for ur kind comments by the way. :wink:

Yes buddy, it’s me, Tim (or Timucin - my turkish name). Already opened the restaurant and running for last 5 months. The name of the restaurant is TRUVA which is located in Anhe road. Chefs r also from Turkey you are right about that. Thanks for your kind comments by the way. :wink:[/quote]
Cok g

Just had a doner kebab, then I jumped online to see how many calories and how much fat it had.

I didn’t think it would be quite so bad, but encountered screaming headlines about how if you eat these you will die:

Scientists issue heart warning on fat content of doner kebabs

[quote]scientists have found that the food contains up to the equivalent of a wine glass of cooking oil. One of the kebabs tested contained 140g of fat, twice the maximum daily allowance for women. Another contained 111g. Nutritionists said eating two a week could cause a heart attack within 10 years…

Denise Thomas, head of nutrition and dietetics at Portsmouth Hospitals Trust, said that 111g of fat in a kebab was 1,000 calories, the equivalent of a wine glass of cooking oil. “The majority of that fat is saturated, so it’s going to raise your cholesterol and give you thickening of your arteries,” she said. “If you were eating that meal twice a week on top of your ordinary diet, it’s a ticking time bomb of coronary heart disease.”

[/quote]

:astonished:

Guess I’ll be eating fewer of these, huh?

WHERE?!?!? Are these places in the 2-yr-outdated thread still open?? (Truva’s website is down).

Have seen a lot of “pita” places that are ok, but no actual Döners anywhere. Lemme guess - way out near Danshui…? Or maybe Kaoshiung?

Would kill for a “Turkish Pizza” aka lamacun (the kind w/all the meat & cheese & Döner fillings as done in Germany)!! :pray:

1 Like

Oh, at a place called “Doner Kebab” in the 101 food court. They also have one AFAIK in the Xinyi Warner (or whatever the new name is, Vieshow or something) movie complex food court nearby. The one near Minsheng-Dunhua closed over a year ago, maybe two.

Oh, well that’s much easier than I expected :slight_smile:
Thanks for the speedy reply!!

I think I’m going to get dinner… :lick:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Just had a doner kebab, then I jumped online to see how many calories and how much fat it had.

I didn’t think it would be quite so bad, but encountered screaming headlines about how if you eat these you will die:

Scientists issue heart warning on fat content of doner kebabs

[quote]scientists have found that the food contains up to the equivalent of a wine glass of cooking oil. One of the kebabs tested contained 140g of fat, twice the maximum daily allowance for women. Another contained 111g. Nutritionists said eating two a week could cause a heart attack within 10 years…

Denise Thomas, head of nutrition and dietetics at Portsmouth Hospitals Trust, said that 111g of fat in a kebab was 1,000 calories, the equivalent of a wine glass of cooking oil. “The majority of that fat is saturated, so it’s going to raise your cholesterol and give you thickening of your arteries,” she said. “If you were eating that meal twice a week on top of your ordinary diet, it’s a ticking time bomb of coronary heart disease.”

[/quote]

:astonished:

Guess I’ll be eating fewer of these, huh?[/quote]That’s takeaway doners in the UK. A bit different from any doner you could get here, I’d say.

Yeah, kebabs are like pizzas; can be a fast track to a heart attack (size of a cartwheel, inch thick, sausage and cheese in the crust, enough topping to be a meal in itself :sick: ) or lighter, fresher, healthier. Fairly meaty and large portion sizes, though, so probably never that great for you.

In Britain, they are supposed to be large so that your breakfast is there waiting for you on your pillow, as you rise.

There’s a new Doner Kebab opening at Bitan right on the main riverside strip. The new Bitan riverpark is quite lovely, btw.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Yeah, kebabs are like pizzas; can be a fast track to a heart attack (size of a cartwheel, inch thick, sausage and cheese in the crust, enough topping to be a meal in itself :sick: ) or lighter, fresher, healthier. Fairly meaty and large portion sizes, though, so probably never that great for you.

In Britain, they are supposed to be large so that your breakfast is there waiting for you on your pillow, as you rise.[/quote]
I had a lovely bit of cold pizza with curry topping for breakfast once. I can imagine that a breakfast doner would be good too. Set you up for the day, that would.

That Doner Kebab chain’s alright. I usually get the mixed kebab. Not really big enough for leftovers, though.

Oh? Ok. Well, when Googling for nutritional info on doner kebabs, I didn’t see any with a ridiculous fat level of well over 100 grams like the ones listed in the article; I only saw between 16 and 25 grams, so perhaps those were closer to what we get here:
approx 500 cal, 25 g fat (12 ww points)
OR
365 cal., 16.5 fat (8 points).

Oh? Ok. Well, when Googling for nutritional info on doner kebabs, I didn’t see any with a ridiculous fat level of well over 100 grams like the ones listed in the article; I only saw between 16 and 25 grams, so perhaps those were closer to what we get here:
approx 500 cal, 25 g fat (12 ww points)
OR
365 cal., 16.5 fat (8 points).[/quote]
The doner “meat” in the UK is often a dripping tower of grease held together by a few strands of reformed animal protein.

Is that greasy tower of meat (oh, that sounds so …, sorry!) really different from what is on offer in Taiwan?

Ohhhhhhhhhhh yes.

Down girl! :laughing:

Just being silly. Absolutely nothing could persude me to eat that. I’ve never even eaten a doner.

I’ve collected money from a lot of donors, and have never eaten any of them either. :idunno:

Aiyo…