Don't believe the KMT about the economy

The 自由行 wernt riding tour buses.

Well I don’t think it will be much worse. There are a shitload of SEA, HK, Japan, Korean tourists. I think most of us are okay with that.:grin:

2 Likes

The last think I want is more tourists from China, in fact any.

2 Likes

It is worse. W Hotel says occupancy down 20%. It doesn’t affect most people or that important for Taiwan, but people need to stop spouting lies to fit in with a narrative.

Those Chinese tourists on the ziyouxing wernt the ones shitting in the street and staying it shit hotels, they were generally high spending quality tourists.

Taiwan shouldn’t react to this type of financial bullying from Beijing, but these nonsensical reports are annoying

1 Like

In the UK the wages are crap now compared to 2008 because GBP is 2/3 of what it was back then. Average net wage is like 20k/year, which is horrible.

Idk why people love to talk as if European wages were outstanding when they are not. Most countries’ average salary is like 25-30k euro/year, which is maybe 1/3 or 1/2 more than Taiwan’s average, and that’s the ones that are doing well like Germany and NL. For countries that aren’t doing well it’s even less. The only European countries where the pay is really good are Norway and Switzerland.

Which means nothing. Tourism is an irrelevant sector. People just like to pretend like it was some sort of lifeline.

2 Likes

Don’t disagree. Both sides of the strait talking shit about this issue

Well it’s going to be down a bit if China stops them all coming here. Nothing we can do about that election interference except long term grow other tourist markets. Agree with your point if that is the real situation .

It’s not if your liveliehood depends on it. Which many do out there. And without those foreign tourists there’s a lack of investments, for instance the hotels used to be rotten here.:sunglasses:

I wouldn’t hold my breath for more high single digit growth. It won’t happen again, ever. This is the normal for a rich country get used to it.

Exactly. It may not be much but a sudden drop is not easy to compensate either. People need time to change jobs/redirect investment.

1 Like

There were 7000 visas a day , which is like 200,000 people from top 45 cities a month ago were not in tour groups. There is obviously a shortfall, there are a lot of rich Chinese.

Qualitatively the SEA tourist are mostly tour groups which means lower spends and they have been given subsidies. The subsidies are not a bad thing because Taiwan tourism should detach it’s reliance from China

1 Like

Sure but it’s been gifted to Taiwan. The structural problems that led to stagnation are still here

There are people depending on all sorts of things and not all of them will always be taken care of.

It allows people to live out in their own rural communities,in the mountains etc. That’s why I think tourism is very helpful for those folks.

I believe that wages should increase in Taiwan. But let’s not forget per capita GDP by PPP types of measurements allowing for a better comparison with countries such as Korea (where things are damn expensive now, at least in Seoul):

Right, the Chinese tourists don’t have the language and cultural barriers that most other tourists have. Was reading that they were seeking out nicer Minsu in Hualien and that kind of cultural tourism that most foreigners wouldn’t have access to. It wasn’t all shitty trips to night markets and gift shops.

Again, need to not be reliant on China, but people will lose out in short term.

Just get annoyed with the Michael Turton brigade politicizing this issue as much as Beijing and just spouting lies

2 Likes

This sucks. Are there 2 or 3 economics-minded legislators on the KMT who would sign on to ending the ban on American beef and pork?

Tsai spent her political capital on pension reform, and she’s gonna need more to take on the pork lobby. Priority should be given to an FTA with the United States, and that requires ending the 美豬 ban.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s really annoying.

1 Like

I dont know if KMT WINS OR DPP WINS most specially in legislative yuan example of law like NEW ECONOMIC IMMIGRATION BILL…what will happened on that?

What kind of structural changes you have in mind?