Don't believe the KMT about the economy

Those who think the minimum wage is going to solve all problems should read Tsai’s dissertation.

It is interesting how essential one fields’ lobby group has (possibly) slightly crippled the entire nations export potential.

The kicker is the hormones and medici es that are useless talking points on this side are already used extremely comminly here. Kind of a karma situation for those that believe in such things.

I agree with your assertion about one lobby holding an entire country’s ability to export hostage.

You realize the EU has the same stupid ban?

Im not so well informed on EU meat policy. But it seema vaguely familiar from a few years ago when it was a heated diacussion here about growth stimulation compounds in pork and mention that eu also has a ____ppm or something limit. Is that what you are referring to?

That all said, EU countries are, relatively speaking, independant and free and treated with dignity whereas Taiwan is not. And FTA is worth far more than just money for us here. But certainly worth a LOT of money as well :slight_smile:

I know me and our company have a hard time being competitive due to this issue.

1 Like

For a quick read.

4 Likes

Not all countries (Spain and the Netherlands can). It’s still a lingering ban due to African swine fever many years ago, and now somehow got back into parts of Europe through wild boars.

Or do you mean Europe bans US pork due to hormones use?

Yep it’s extremely important, she needs to seize the pig by the ears and get it done.
.The problem may be the legislature !!

1 Like

There could be a whole thread about the pig business :grinning:

1 Like

A few updates on that article, CNA and Taiwan News articles:

In terms of age groups, 40-49 year-olds make up the largest voting bloc with 3.74 million eligible voters, or 19 percent of the electorate, followed by 50-59 year-olds with 3.63 million eligible voters, the CEC said.

Around 1.18 million 20-23 year-olds, who account for 6 percent of the electorate, are eligible to vote in presidential and legislative elections for the first time, the CEC noted.

You also have CEC for the data on voter turnout and votes per age group:

And the money quote from Ketagalan’s:

Exit polling is not allowed in Taiwan, rendering electoral patterns opaque. However, in the 2016 presidential election, a gender equality study run by the Central Elections Commission (CEC) offered a glimpse into which citizens were showing up to vote.

The study, which sampled just over 200,000 voters in 230 neighborhoods, recorded the age and sex of voters who collected ballot papers.

The results, described at length by the Taiwan election blog Frozen Garlic, showed that voters between 20 and 29 accounted for 17.1% of the electorate and had a turnout rate of 52.9%.

Voters over 60, who made up 24.2% of the electorate, had a turnout rate of 73.6%.

Therefore, voters over 60 made up 28.2% of total votes—almost twice that of voters between 20 and 29, who cast 14.3% of votes. The study showed that voters between 50 and 85 uniformly accounted for more actual votes than their proportion of the electorate.

This is where household registration comes into play.

Taiwan’s hukou system, introduced during the Japanese occupation of the island, mandates in modern times that voters are assigned the polling station closest to the address on their citizen ID card.

For young voters, this often means their family’s home. Many young voters rent apartments in cities while working or studying without changing their hukou.

Elderly voters, meanwhile, are far more likely to actually live at their registered address.

All is data from CEC. Old data. They take a week to compile the press release regarding the elections, they take their sweet time with these studies, but slow and steady is best.

Of all the stuff we can inherit from the Japanese, we decide on this???

The first take away from that is how old Taiwan’s population is and the relatively small number of foreigners here (total population 23.78 million ).

2 Likes

The Japanese took it from the Chinese emperor. I think. But yeah it’s some bloody annoying system.

1 Like

These are the forecasts for this year. Still good, but can we not calm down with the BOOM talk from the frigging Taiwan News

Trying to get used to Han, so I am trying to listen to his speech. Aside from being late, the Fish is using so many recycled «points» it seems even the channels are fed up with his drivel. They are constantly switching to something else.

OK, Korean Fish opens saying «are you unhappy? Are you uneasy? Are you worried about the future?..we have suffered so much these last 3 years…» Channel switches to Tsai in Keelung.

I switch channels. New one:

Fish goes blah blah blah the diplomat who jumped off a building to prove his innocence, that’s what the DPP does… Channel goes to commercials…

I mean, these are blue channels and they cut him in mid speech.

2 Likes

Let’s hope you’re right.

1 Like

Honey, you wishing Han to win? You are not from here, are ya?

I’m admittedly in my 40s, but everyone I know is voting Han. I still think Tsai will win though.
Han is very unlikable.

1 Like

So everybody in the other thread who say the Chinese tourists only stay in Chinese operated hotels is wrong. Amirite?

I want Tsai to win but I think she’ll lose. I hope you’ll be saying I was wrong on Monday. :grinning:

1 Like

I’d prefer Soong, but that’s an impossibility.