Doorstepped by the Immigration Agency

I think you need to check some old threads. Unfortunately, it is not imagination but experience.

What you went through is not normal. Has not been for a while at least, since NIA went civil. Do follow up on the matter and be extra careful. Watch your back. Maybe it is not clear where it came from but from the looks of it, there are stormy days ahead.

5 Likes

The exact detail is perhaps wrong. But is it really that far-fetched to say this harassment is connected to either your old boss and her family, or the person who assaulted you?

Never seen it, but context tells me it’s some kind of mob movie.

If that’s not your wife’s Taiwan, that’s fine, but for some people, that’s how it is.

Somewhat crude video reminding people to shut up, video not safe for work and from the USA but it applies the world over except for commie and totalitarian counties. (And Japan because they will detain you for weeks until you crack and admit to things you didn’t do)

If cops are at your door asking questions, always assume there is a fishing expedition and often they don’t care about the truth. Or in Hubert’s case, someone has it out for them.

Story time, the first year I was in Taiwan as a student I was at immigration to renew my visa. I saw a young guy working there in uniform. Now wasn’t it interesting when I noticed the same young guy in the evening following me on my scooter, I assume he was looking if I was working illegally. Kept following me until I ducked into a side alley and I guess he didn’t want to get caught following me so he kept going. I wasn’t working illegally but I guess they wanted to be sure.

3 Likes

Just talking out of my ass as usual, but the cost of having someone from the gov come out and talk to you is very minimal, usually free due to connections. Having a cop come out is a bit more, but again usually free. When you start involving “brothers” the money gets serious.

You pissed someone off, warranted or not, they are trying to get even. The money involved isn’t enough to get something scary out of bed. Just make sure all your t’s are crossed and you’ll be fine in a bit. Or they will continue to annoy you for years. A previous business partners continues to annoy me, it’s been a decade.

1 Like

Usually free but there’s an official record of it and they have to put the reason why they went there. You can request a record of this and then sue the person that falsely accused you of whatever they accused you of. I’ve only had this happen to me one time and the police were very apologetic and ended up threatening g the person that made the false complaint.

2 Likes

My two cents:

I got a visit from the NIA the first year I moved here. They came unannounced but where very friendly and polite. They showed me their ID and left a business card. We invited them in for some coffee and biscuits and chatted a bit.

We got a visit from the Police after our kid got scalded while playing with the water tap in the bathroom. It was nothing serious but we decided to see a doctor and went to the hospital. Two police officers showed up the next morning to check out our living situation. They just did a quick look around and left. I was a quite surprised about the visit but I think it’s a thing more countries should implement.

5 Likes

How bad was the scalding?

My wife dropped my daughter on her head at two weeks old. Fell asleep while holding her.

My daughter broke her leg as a four year old.

Never had a police visit.

Did the doctor report you?

1 Like

Since it was basically just a hot shower, not very bad. We heard the nurses talk about how “parents these days come to the hospital for every little thing”.

I guess the hospital had to report us as a part of a child abuse prevention system.

3 Likes

I actually quite recently re-watched “Green Card”, the Andie MacDowell/Gérard Depardieu movie from 1990, and I thought that the way the immigration office tried to proof the legality of their marriage was quite stupid.

I can picture two people in love, marrying after a short while of knowing each other and then having separate bathrooms or even living in separate apartments, not knowing what the other person’s favorite toothpaste is or on which side of the bed he/she sleeps.

Well, there is marriage fraud, not sure how much of a problem that is in Taiwan, probably more related to foreign women from poor backgrounds trying to stay in Taiwan and then work in some shady profession.

Motive. He had two people who have motive. Maybe unrelated, but when faced with two paths take the smoother path.

The alternative path (random immigration investigation) takes too many giant leaps in logic to make sense. I’ve never heard of a random immigration investigation in Taiwan, it makes extra work for admin types who don’t like work or even extra work.

2 Likes

No one said random immigration investigation. I can believe someone made a phone call alleging a sham marriage. So an immigration official showed up.

I call bullshit on it being a fake immigration officer or one who has taken a bribe to go there.

I thought I had said that pretty clearly.

Maybe you are right though. The logical conclusion is gangsters. Even when the guy told us straight that it was definitely an immigration official. Maybe he had a gun to his head.

Either way, i am sure he will update us so we will see. Unless he is swimming with the fishes.

1 Like

Indeed. Occam’s razor suggests that the explanation given was correct. Firstly, the call to my house was made on the landline, which neither of the two parties I have had problems with would know. The explanation given was that they were following up the paperwork issued by the Taipei District Court regarding dropping of accusations of assault. Only ONE of the two parties knows of this case, the landlord and his son at my previous address, so those who keep saying that my ex-boss did this, it’s simply not possible. Those claiming that it was therefore the ex-landlord or his son, you simply don’t understand the lack of sophistication of these two individuals; the son dropped out of education after elementary school and can barely string a sentence together, the father has some kind of spectrum disorder and is frightened of dealing with the authorities for any reason.

The most suitable explanation is that it is just what it seemed to be: that this is NIA SOP now for dropped accusations, perhaps relating specifically to crimes involving violence, perhaps not. My wife is on the right track with her view that the visit served two purposes: the first was to see if there was anything amiss in my living arrangements/marital status, and the second was to give me a scare, to let me know that the authorities are aware of me and to factor that into my behavior. It is THIS that should concern people on these boards, not the crazy ex-boss narrative stuff, that this is acceptable behavior from the Taiwan authorities and that stuff that does not rise to the breaking of any law will be added to your record and count against you.

1 Like

Occam’s razor is a scientific thing, right? As in you first choose the simpler explanation or hypothesis to test. Not that the simplest explanation must be true.

So in this case, you can check it by contacting NIA, as the people above have suggested. Like clarify what the black mark means, etc.

7 Likes

Yes, I will call and check. I did use “suggest” to show that I am not stating that what is probable is true. In logic, this kind of reasoning is known as abduction, in contrast to induction and deduction. But I am also using Occam’s razor, specifically to do away with all the explanations proposed here which require my enemies recruiting NIA officials to make a bogus visit to my house, with the aim of, well, they’re rather vague on what the aim would be, perhaps they left a listening device here and I should have the apartment scanned by a bunch of techies… “They didn’t find anything… or perhaps my ex-boss paid them to say that…”

Your explanation makes sense but this is Forumosa, so conspiracies, hyperbole and wild speculation is needed. I’m surprised no one has mentioned covid or TPTB yet.

4 Likes

Well, technically, you just did. As for the wild speculation, people who have been here a while know that such things happen. Thy’re not particularly common, but they do happen, and therefore shouldn’t be discounted as possibilities.

1 Like

What’s TPTB? I tried googling “TPTB Taiwan” but didn’t get anything.

It’s weird that it’s seemingly easier to believe that there’s some mad conspiracy at work here rather than this simply being the actions of the Taiwanese authorities.

1 Like

The Powers That Be

2 Likes