DPP new and improved resolutions

[quote]http://www.chinapost.com.tw/headlines/2007/08/28/48613/DPP-unveils.htm

1. Enhance Taiwan’s self-awareness and hold national referendums to rectify the national title and draw up a new constitution so as to highlight that Taiwan is an independent sovereign state.

2. Use the name of “Taiwan” to join world bodies like the United Nations and the World Health Organization because it is highly difficult to use the national title of “the Republic of China” in the international community

3. Strengthen people’s identification with Taiwan as a nation and its land through aggressive promotion of native culture and dialect in school courses.

4. Develop the economy with the premises of national security, social justice, and sustainable development in order to give Taiwan people a life with dignity and well-being.

5. Eliminate the remnants of the totalitarian regime by stopping the unfair distributions of resources, reforming the justice, prosecution and investigation systems, pursuing the assets from the KMT, and conducting probes and reinstituting the victims persecuted during the white terror period.[/quote]

1,2,3 have been talked about to no end. It didn’t happen in the last 8 years, it is not going to happen in another 8 years under the DPP.

4 is not based on any sound fundimentals in economics. Sounds like something a hippie would say on a drug high while reading Karl Marx.

5 yawn if they couldn’t do anything in the last 8 years to sue the crap out of the KMT, they probably don’t have the evidence and never will have the evidence to make a case. They’d have better luck forcing the Japanese to apologize, with USA, South Korea and PRC ganging up on Japan these days over WWII issues.

4 - They created the basis for social justice with the NHI, something that the KMT never did (except if you were a KMT member).

5 - They can do it by just starting to kick out Hau grandpa of his villa in Taipei, and move him next door (for sure Mayor Hau would receive is daddy…). If they sell that villa, they can get at least NT$20M+ more to spend on some projects. With $20M they can pay 20 foreign teachers for a full year to teach English to some 3000 kids. How about that?

4- How does social justice fit into economic development? Those two forces in society, greed and equality, are sort of independent of each other.

5- Why do you love foreign teachers more than Taiwanese children? Isn’t it evident yet that buxiban or schools with foreign teachers do almost nothing for Taiwan’s next generation in mastering English. If you want kids to master English then adopt the Singapore method and declare English as one of the official language.

I don’t see any benefit in giving money to foreigners, the DPP, or the government. Because quite frankly they don’t have the development of ROC as their main concern anymore.

Besides the fact the villa cannot be sold at this time. It is only worth as much as the market deems it to be. How much you want to bet with the DPP as leaders for the next 8 years, real estate value will continue to fall. Even the NTD isn’t worth as much as it use to be…all due to poor leadership.

They want to win the election. Further than that they cannot see and don’t really care about anyway. They’ll say anything, no matter how ludicrous or untenable, to achieve that end. So will the KMT, only not with enough buzzwords to goose the mouthbreathers into voting. Business as usual.

4 - Ask the Finns or the Swedes…

5 - Well, considering the pain it is to declare already spoken languages as official language…

No, they have the development of Taiwan in mind. That is a different thing. Just put a majority government in power and it will go forward. Give Ma the presidency and DPP the LY, and you’ll see the same story all over again, but this time on the other way.

Since when real estate is falling? My house “only” valuated 1M since I bought it in March. And the guys next door who bought it 2 years ago paid 2M less than me. Real estate falling, only if you live in a place where no one wants to go to. Around me, every day I see new construction. Time to get a reality check, dude…

mr_boogie,

4 - I believe those are oil revenue States…once their oil revenue run out, let’s see where social justice fits into their economy.

5- That’s called speculation. Because it is works on the principal that Taiwanese value new development. The model is not sustainable, because not only are the Taiwanese leaving Taiwan, but because eventually you run of of space. Not to mention 24 million people, don’t need 100 million units of housing.

sandman,

True democracy does value image over substance. However, the message the KMT spreads doesn’t annoy the USA or PRC as much. Not to mention are not interested in showing their defiant nature.

Taiwanese vote DPP more as a symbolic act of defiance, than anything else. It is part of the Taiwanese image. Passive aggressive to the very very end. I’m waiting on the DPP candidate holding their breath till they are blue in the face as the final act of defiance against the KMT, USA, or PRC.

[quote]True democracy does value image over substance. However, the message the KMT spreads doesn’t annoy the USA or PRC as much. Not to mention are not interested in showing their defiant nature.

Taiwanese vote DPP more as a symbolic act of defiance, than anything else. It is part of the Taiwanese image. Passive aggressive to the very very end. I’m waiting on the DPP candidate holding their breath till they are blue in the face as the final act of defiance against the KMT, USA, or PRC.[/quote]
I agree. That’s why the DPP are so scary – they’d much rather thumb their nose at China than actually try to improve the lives of the people living here. And that’s ALL they have, so far. It makes me sick the way they come out with these mindless platitudes about “improving the well-being blah blah blah” when the absolute ONLY thing they’re saying is “we hate the commies. Vote DPP if you hate 'em too.”

Oh, of course, they also hate the idea of business moving to China, so vote against that, too, folks! And what do they offer as an alternative? Yeah! Green Silicon Valley! Woo! Love power! THAT oughta do it!
And the suckahs actually believe this shite! Well, just over half of them, anyway. Fucking nutters. What a way to run a country.

The one who has oil is Norway. Finns and Swedes are on the top of social development and competitiveness. How many brands they have that are world class?

One way of getting a national identity real fast is to make those across the straits become more belligerent towards Taiwan. Brinkmanship is a delicate game though.