Draft Bill for New Immigrants' Rights Protection Act

While I agree here, I think similarly to Japan they will pay lip service to this while still making everything inconvenient for foreigners and not really encouraging talented people to work here. What they really want is more migrant workers to do the stuff locals won’t do and then go home.

So far, most Asian countries are not supportive of immigration, crashing demographics or not

5 Likes

Well, those wouldn’t be my priorities, and there is already a very not applied art. 62 of the immigration act dealing with discrimination. Actually applying it would do, but no one can be asked.

Also here, the law, regulations, directions and instructions all friggin say we already can now open accounts online with ARC, but banks don’t care and the regulator doesn’t bother to enforce. A reform in the ways the FSC works is much needed though, and tbh in general on the supervisory system. Rn the financial system is supervised by 3 entities who don’t talk with each other…

6 Likes

I don’t know anyone that supports immigration, nearly all countries just want them to do the work then go away. Since the rise of nation states and nationalism, travel is essentially restricted.

Canadian politicians love it. The people not so much. But that’s uncontrolled immigration which is its own disaster

There needs to be a good balance where you are only attracting the best and brightest in controlled numbers, not a Starbucks barista

We need starbucks barista too, and to support a manufacturing economy you need tradesmen too. Canada’s immigration system doesn’t support tradesmen though, because how do you prove you went to school for some trade job when you learned it on the job? It only supports white collar work in practice because that’s more easily provable. And given the huge number of informal jobs (where you’re paid cash) in Taiwan, that’s even harder to prove.

But a large number of trade worker would be helpful for Canada, even if blue collar workers might not like it.

In Canada we don’t need the Starbucks (or Tim Hortons) barista from overseas. There are already over a million new people vying for these jobs.
I do agree that we could do with bringing in tradespeople to meet housing needs but that would require government competence

:shopping_cart:

2 Likes

This new law is right on in the Discrimination in Taiwan forum but for the wrong reasons.

5 Likes

Liked for factuality, and not because I like excluding migrant workers!

Guy

1 Like

Such a law already exists.

Where? Show me when it was used.

It’s not discriminatory if Taiwanese landlords do not rent to foreigners, because foreigners are not nationals. This is the logic if you argue with them.

Many openly advertise on 591 that they don’t accept foreigners. They get away with it because nothing can be done about it.

1 Like

It makes little sense as most foreigners are on their best behavior in foreign countries that they live in. You would likely have little risk as a landlord of an average foreigner trashing the place.
It’s just good old fashioned racism at play.