Draft Bill for New Immigrants' Rights Protection Act

I just saw that the Executive Yuan has apparently approved a draft bill from the MOI “to protect the rights of new immigrants”. There don’t appear to be very many details available yet, though I’m a bit skeptical of what it’ll end up being given the disappointingly dismissive ways that both the MOI and EY have responded to our previous complaints about some of the corresponding issues.

Anyway, I’m starting this thread for any discussions of the draft bill as details come through. The text of the EY press release is as follows:

To comprehensively enhance the well-being and rights protections of new immigrants and provide them with friendlier living environments, the Executive Yuan on Friday approved the Ministry of the Interior’s (MOI) draft bill for an act to protect the rights of new immigrants. The proposed act would establish a government body dedicated to managing these issues, as well as codify into law the promotion of various rights-related measures. The act aims to advance the rights and interests of new immigrants in the areas of employment services, culture and education, health and medical care, social welfare and participation in public life.

Premier Cho Jung-tai said the proposed legislation would signal to the world that Taiwan is open to foreign professionals with skills and capital, and welcomes them to put down long-term roots and ultimately become naturalized citizens. He instructed the MOI to proactively communicate and coordinate with all legislative caucuses once the bill is submitted to the Legislative Yuan for deliberation, in order to facilitate the bill’s swift passage and respond to the expectations of society.

And a Taiwan News article:

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/news/5894603

Actually, I wonder if some of us might want to write to the Premier (quoted in the EY press release) to raise specific things we think should be included while the act is still in the discussion stage?

6 Likes

The CNA article 政院通過新住民權益保障法草案 設專責機構統籌事務 | 政治 | 中央社 CNA mostly talks about integration, counseling, schooling for immigrant children, language learning.

1 Like

If CNA’s version is true, then it will be a very lame and toothless agency (I don’t expect any less).

Taiwan news trying to illude US with talks about naturalisation?

1 Like

It would need to clear the KMT / TPP controlled LY to become law.

I wonder how much grandstanding there would be in that chamber about the need for / rights of spouses from the PRC? Will the KMT propose some modified counter version?

Guy

This would be a difficult bill to enforce as “immigrant’s” problems are handled by different levels of government.

What I would like to see:

• A law requiring non-discrimination in housing. Won’t rent to a foreigner should be grounds for a ball-busting lawsuit.

• A general non-discrimination act. Seems petty but too many night clubs and bars are still doing the no foreigners thing.

• Banking reform. ARCs should be good enough to open accounts online.

• Equity in employment benefits such as pensions.

• The right to organize in the workplace. This is especially going to be important for Western English teachers as Taiwanese get over their racism and hire more Filipinos. They absolutely decimated the English teaching industry in Japan. Won’t someone think of the buxiban bros!

4 Likes

Regarding the presence and work of Filipinos in Taiwan: why don’t they also deserve rights and respect? You refer to their work “decimating” an industry in Japan. Taiwan’s will be affected by demography much like Japan’s, much more so than the participation of Filipinos.

Guy

2 Likes

They deserve rights and respect. But they will also drive down wages, which are already quite stagnant for teachers and barely livable as they are. This isn’t an attack on individual people, just one group standing up for their own interests. This is no different from tech workers in the U.S. calling on D.C. to limit the issuance of H1-B visas.

Filipinos are often boxed into a “migrant worker” role regardless of their talents and abilities to contribute.

Finally the box is slightly breaking with a path to residency in Taiwan for so-called mid-level skilled workers.

I don’t see why such people are less deserving of rights and open work employment in Taiwan—things that many of us greatly value here.

Guy

1 Like

If they teach well then I don’t see what’s the problem with it

1 Like

You guys seem to be conflating a few things here.

Migrant workers push down wages. This is why the government has minimum wage requirements to sponsor work permits for ARCs.

English teaching workplaces need to organize to ensure that wages don’t degrade further. If the supply of teachers suddenly explodes because locals realize that a neighboring country, which is also a developing nation, speaks a version of English wages in the field are going to collapse.

Let’s have this discussion focus on the rights for foreigners to organize in their workplace. Not something else.

1 Like

English teachers are not migrant workers.

Taiwan has no choice if it wants to keep any kind of population by 2060

In the literal definition they are, though in the local legal context they are not.

I don’t disagree with this prediction. And I think demography and not our Filipino friends will be the reason why.

Guy

Time to upgrade or move to a new adjacent field then if one can see the change coming.

2 Likes

Sure but without them companies won’t find workers and will shut down which will also lead to lower wages. Just look at Japan. Everything in moderation. We need immigrants and they/we deserve equal rights. Don’t let them in if you don’t want them but once in they should be equal. At least as on principle, I understand it won’t be possible in practice.

1 Like

Age discrimination in housing or anything else should be a ball busting lawsuit too.

1 Like

They will invest in innovation and labor saving devices instead. Think, why is AI such a boomtown right now?

Been hearing that for decades. Still hasn’t happened. Also you need young graduates to innovate in science and tech too. If you can’t produce them yourself, import them. The example again is Japan which fell behind on tech too.

1 Like

The jobs that migrant workers do aren’t the ones that AI can replace at least not for a very long time

1 Like