🐉 🛶 Dragon Boats | Where and When to See the Dragon Boats (Taipei or New Taipei)

My dad came to Taiwan yesterday and I’m wondering what time and place would be best to see the dragon boats? Someone said I should go to Tamsui.

Saw this link for “Dragon Boat Race Locations in Taiwan” on Foreigners in Taiwan twitter stream. They’ve also got this blog post from a few days ago, which may be more useful:

The links make no mention of Danshui. I’ve lived in Danshui for well over ten years and have never noticed dragon boat races - I think it’s more on the river systems - but then again, the big holidays mean I do NOT go on the waterfront after 10am or so.

1 Like

Be careful because it is really hot out there. Bring the 1.5 liter bottle of water and cold compresses.

Best location in Taipei:

Try to get the picture of the boats with the Grand Hotel or the Dazhi bridge in the background.

2 Likes

Do people actually do that…? I just walked 4-5 km along the riverside to the Wanhua produce market and, while it’s way too hot for me to be comfortable, especially after a couple of days at home with AC, there’s no chance I’m going to take cold compresses with me. :thinking:

I’m not even 100% sure what they are - like gel packs you keep in the freezer until you need them?

I should probably have taken some cold water, but I was planning to go to Costco after so didn’t want the extra weight. It’s easy enough to nip into a convenience store if one needs a drink.

You’ve never seen people having slapped a wet towel on there head?

Nope! I don’t recall that I’ve ever done it either.

At the dragon boat races there are enough food and drink stands to not get in trouble.

Hikers do that often and also drape it around the back of their neck.

There are some Japanese cold thingies you buy at Cosmed/Watsons/Japanese pharmacies. I call them compresses but I am not a Native. All I know is that if you are 4 hours taking pics and chasing the boats, they feel like Heaven under your armpits, back of the neck and other hot areas.

There are also cooling wet wipes, scented. Also feel so good.

Not near enough. As far as I can see.

From the flood gates to the race site it is a bit of a trek under the sun.

I put ice in a thermos, then pour water in the thermos and drink/splash on as required.