Dress code for college professors?

Hi everyone!

What do you think it would be acceptable dress choices for professors and lecturers in Taiwan? Back home I usually wear smart casual (sport jackets, polo shirts and chinos), but the first day I showed like that in a Taiwanese classroom, some of my students asked me why I was so formal. I know dress codes for teachers are kind of relaxed in Taiwan, and the hot and humid climate also calls for fresh and light garments most of the year, so I would like to know your opinions on this matter. TIA

2 Likes

A speedo.

Seriously, just wear something you’d usually wear. Nobody gaf in Taiwan.

6 Likes

I’m a university lecturer, not a full professor. But to my students, it doesn’t make a difference. I just wear smart casual. Polo shirts or button down shirts, jeans or slacks, nice shoes. I stay away from shorts and tees, but some teachers do go for that ultra casual look and I don’t think faculty cares. We also have a couple teachers (including a foreigner) who goes the opposite end of the spectrum and wears dress shirt with tie.

I also wear smart casual when I go out to shop or eat and I never really think it’s that formal. I feel a bit underdressed if I’m just wearing a tee. Personal preference.

5 Likes

I find my university in Taiwan very similar to my university in Canada, generally casual. Lots of people wear jeans, but I haven’t seen shorts and sandals at either university

Chinos and a polo is fine, but it’s hot this time of year for a sport coat

I always wear creased slacks and collared shirt, and I keep a sport coat in the office for cold days or special occasions

Basically, you can wear what you want. I suspect your students were commenting on wearing a jacket in this weather

4 Likes

Is there any occasion that calls for a sport coat in Taiwan?

Rule of thumb for dressing in Taiwan is to just imagine what would be appropriate if you were in Hawaii, and wear that.

Just don’t wear a mumu or slippers.

EDIT: As I was typing this I just got on the train and sat across from a lady in what could very well pass as a mumu, who is sitting next to a schoolgirl in slippers. I hope she’s changing to real shoes when she arrives at school.

3 Likes

Long meetings in cold rooms with good AC, or meeting external guests or high ranking executives/politicians who might notice and appreciate

Not board shorts and flip flops, but tasteful tropical shirts would probably be ok for regular classes

1 Like

Your advice is self contradictory. :wink:

This seems convincing to some audiences:

1 Like

Coats and tie (more so a tie) are must for some offices (more so in Taipei/Hsinchu). Also weddings and other events, I wear a coat and tie as weddings become more upscale here (some now have a dress code on invite card) , only if wedding is outside on the street/alley (old school weddings) but not so many of these .

My tall office building, I would say over half of men have ties, I mostly do not but have a few in my office with coat.

False. In Hawaii you can wear a nice Aloha shirt at work, meetings and social/wedding events. This is not allowed in my offices, most gov offices or white collar jobs in Taiwan. I would never go to a business meeting in less than btton down shirt (and often with a tie) in Taiwan. We have no dress code, but some dressed in a Aloha shirt or non button down shirt I will say something (or other female staff which check out outlook more haha)
Also now most modern weddings are at hotels or nice restaurants/halls and as mentioned above dress standards are more formal now than Hawaii (lots of wedding in Hawaii are outside )

2 Likes

We’re talking about college professors, of which I am one. Your entire post is irrelevant.

1 Like

I agree. Some people who are not “college professors” (the topic of this thread) and who only spend time working at home are presenting details that do not align with actually existing practice. :neutral_face:

Guy

Excuse me?

I was referencing the “just like Hawai’i” comment. That’s far from being accurate, sorry.

Guy

Do a google image search for “University of Hawaii professors”, bet you a beer you see a couple of those shirts

Can totally dress like a university professor in Hawaii when at a university in Taiwan

1 Like

No need to bet, saw in person at UH Mānoa (my cousin works there in Oahu) and a lot “those” shirts., my point is I did a web search of UH and NTU staff, at least in public photos, meetings, profiles Taiwan dress is more formal. (Schools may vary, just used the flagship campus in each region)

2 Likes

Sure, as I said

Generally speaking, Taipei City is more formal than other locations around Taiwan.

Still I would say no need for suits and ties unless you are working in one of the Colleges of Management, which act quite differently than the rest of us. lol

Guy

1 Like

You’re forgiven

I still think that the chinos and polo are fine, and not especially formal, but the students might think it is too hot for a jacket. They’re just phrasing it from a high context perspective:

Thanks for honoring us with your formal clothing, but that is unnecessary
Instead of
Are you crazy wearing that jacket, it’s like 100 degrees and 100% humidity!

2 Likes

Hence the special mention about the exceptions. :slightly_smiling_face:

I was answering the OP’s question about Taiwan generally.

Just like in Hawaii, button-up shirts (no tie), Aloha-type shirts (esp. in more casual settings like university teaching), or polos for most work environments.