Dried yeast (en route to crumpets)

Does anyone know where I might be able to find dried yeast in Taipei? A friend posted a picture of his home-made crumpets on Facebook earlier, which has occupied more of my thoughts today than it should have.

I’m thinking to try Carrefour and/or RT-Mart on the way home, but I probably only have time for one. A brand recommendation would be appreciated too if someone has one (I don’t think I’ve ever used yeast before). Thanks in advance. :slightly_smiling_face:

You want a neighborhood baking goods store

2 Likes

Is that a thing? I think my 'hood may be bereft of those. So you reckon Carrefour and RT-Mart won’t have?

PX mart has, i use it all the time for bread and pizza send you a photo later

Edit: Photo added

3 Likes

See this long list of baking supply stores - ten years old now, but most of these will still be around: DIY baking supply / supplies - #47 by Dragonbones

The baking supply stores are weird places. The one near me looks like … nothing. Just a store front with plastic containers for sale. But in the back there’s flours and cake mixes and freezers full of nuts and who knows what else. I walked by it for years before I knew what it was.

Carrefour usually will have yeast too. In Taiwan I’ve always bought the little packages @Shaun008 just posted. There are other kinds of yeast available at the baking stores (probably not at Carrefour), but I’ve never gone far enough into baking to figure those out.

1 Like

Job done. Seems to be a different packaging/type but the same brand. Thanks for the quick response!

no problem, see you got the baking powder also underneath.

1 Like

I did haha. And two different types of flour. There are a lot of crumpets in my future!

With all that, you can also make some quick flat breads for nice sandwiches or bases for a quick pizza.

1 Like

We need photos of crumpets. I like to bake sourdough but I also like this easy pita.
I mix it by hand in a round covered plastic container with a lid.
Takes all of five minutes to mix.
https://vrya.net/content.php?p=47

1 Like

They’re like so: :slightly_smiling_face:

I wouldn’t mind baking other things like sourdough either, but haven’t got around to investing in an oven yet (and our kitchen is pretty small…)

1 Like

As a frequent baker, I recommend the “instant yeast” (IY) like the SAF brand in baking supply stores, rather than the “active dry yeast” (ADY) typically found in single-use sachets in grocery stores in the US and here, for several reasons:

1. Although the upfront cost of IY is higher (a couple hundred for a fist-sized package), it has a long shelf-life (you can refrigerate it for a couple years, you can freeze it, and it still works fine); so if you bake regularly, it is cheaper to use.
  2. It can be added straight with the ingredients. No presoak with warm water and tsp of sugar is needed.
  3. You can use slightly less than the ADY-based recipe says, like 75%-80% of the recipe amount.
    I use the SAF brand gold label. If your store only has the red label, that’s fine for regular breads. The gold is for high-sugar breads but also works fine in regular ones.
2 Likes

Available here, works great
https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DBAAF9-A9006P7YF

1 Like

I’ve been using this for beer too. Not the best, because it produces low ABVs and has some flocculation problems, but it works.

Sourdough is not that easy if you want to do it right.