Drink drive limit in Taiwan

[quote=“bigmoose”]Just wondering
say I drink 10 beers over 4 hours(very easy to do)
then I drink 2 liters of water in say 5 minutes(not much food in my stomach)
will I be ok as far as alcohol limit goes?
how about 4 liters of water in 10 minutes?[/quote]
I’d say that if having a drink is THAT important to you, then you have far more serious problems than possible blood alcohol readings. Take a cab.

[quote=“Josefus”][quote=“finley”]Well… there’s the rub. AFAIK the punishments are usually trivial - a few NT$000 in fines. Even if you kill someone under the influence you’re unlikely to spend more than a couple of years in jail.

0.05 is not low at all - a big slice of the world uses a figure in that range. If you’ve exceeded that limit your motor skills and judgement will be measurably impaired.[/quote]

1. It’s not a few thousand. I’ve had friends who have paid in the 20000-60000nt range. That’s not pocket change.

2. I’d consider .05 to be very low as well. I think it’s .08 in Canada, not sure about America.[/quote]

I hear you can get community service time as well. I wonder if the stiffness of the fine has to do with how far over the limit you were :ponder: .

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“bigmoose”]Just wondering
say I drink 10 beers over 4 hours(very easy to do)
then I drink 2 liters of water in say 5 minutes(not much food in my stomach)
will I be ok as far as alcohol limit goes?
how about 4 liters of water in 10 minutes?[/quote]
I’d say that if having a drink is THAT important to you, then you have far more serious problems than possible blood alcohol readings. Take a cab.[/quote]

And it doesn’t matter how much water you drink. Your body can only absorb so much water in a given amount of time. Most of that two (or 4) liters is going straight into the urinal.

[quote=“Josefus”][quote=“finley”]Well… there’s the rub. AFAIK the punishments are usually trivial - a few NT$000 in fines. Even if you kill someone under the influence you’re unlikely to spend more than a couple of years in jail.

0.05 is not low at all - a big slice of the world uses a figure in that range. If you’ve exceeded that limit your motor skills and judgement will be measurably impaired.[/quote]

1. It’s not a few thousand. I’ve had friends who have paid in the 20000-60000nt range. That’s not pocket change.

2. I’d consider .05 to be very low as well. I think it’s .08 in Canada, not sure about America.[/quote]

I’d consider .08 to be quite high. I always thought .05 was pretty much standard everywhere.

It’s .05 in South Africa. Not that that’s ever deterred anyone, though.

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“Josefus”][quote=“finley”]Well… there’s the rub. AFAIK the punishments are usually trivial - a few NT$000 in fines. Even if you kill someone under the influence you’re unlikely to spend more than a couple of years in jail.

I’d consider .08 to be quite high. I always thought .05 was pretty much standard everywhere.[/quote]
It’s .08 in my state. It’s .025 here.

[quote=“finley”]Well… there’s the rub. AFAIK the punishments are usually trivial - a few NT$000 in fines. Even if you kill someone under the influence you’re unlikely to spend more than a couple of years in jail.

It is low here. It is not .5 as you said. It is .25. That’s like maybe a beer and a half :astonished: .

Don’t forget your units! I think you mean 0.25ml/litre, which is equivalent to 0.05%BAC.

Over 0.25% would be steaming drunk - as in, get-this-guy-to-ER drunk.

Two bottles of beer will put the average adult close to or over the 0.05% limit. Three if you’re big. A couple of hours on soft drinks thereafter will bring you below the limit, although not necessarily safe enough to drive.

[quote=“finley”]Don’t forget your units! I think you mean 0.25ml/litre, which is equivalent to 0.05%BAC.

Two bottles of beer will put the average adult close to or over the 0.05% limit. Three if you’re big. A couple of hours on soft drinks thereafter will bring you below the limit, although not necessarily safe enough to drive.[/quote]
I think they use an entirely different system in Taiwan. I looked at a website that said .25.

[quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”][quote=“finley”]Don’t forget your units! I think you mean 0.25ml/litre, which is equivalent to 0.05%BAC.

Two bottles of beer will put the average adult close to or over the 0.05% limit. Three if you’re big. A couple of hours on soft drinks thereafter will bring you below the limit, although not necessarily safe enough to drive.[/quote]
I think they use an entirely different system in Taiwan. I looked at a website that said .25.[/quote]

That’s what finley said and he converted to BAC% so everyone knows how to compare it to their home country.

Unless you are going to a different town, a taxi here costs less than one drink from a bar. So I ask, why are we even having this discussion?

This is not neccessarily true. Still it is unwise to drink and drive.

Especially now. The legislature passed an amendment today: At LEAST 2 years in jail for ANY kind of DUI; kill some punter? Up form one year to seven. Injure someone? Up from six months to five years. Up to you, of course. Drink your water. Suck down your booze. Whatever.

Where did you hear this? I have never heard of a foreigner going to jail for a DUI. I hear they give you a fine. And what of somebody who lightly injured somebody before this legislation was passed?

Where did you hear this? I have never heard of a foreigner going to jail for a DUI. I hear they give you a fine. And what of somebody who lightly injured somebody before this legislation was passed?[/quote]
The amendment was passed earlier today. Sounds like jail time for pretty much ANY DUI now. I don’t know if its retroactive. Report didn’t say.

It’s about time.
Stiffer sentences for selfish twats who drink and drive should be retro-active. So many have managed to get off lightly after ruining the lives of others.

[quote=“Super Hans”]It’s about time.
Stiffer sentences for selfish twats who drink and drive should be retro-active. So many have managed to get off lightly after ruining the lives of others.[/quote]

There’s still the matter of enforcement…

True. And this is compounded by the fact that the police are at it when they are off duty as well. How many times a month do you hear of a police officer who has been caught drink driving, or who has been involved in an accident due to the consumption of alcohol?

AWESOME news. :thumbsup:

How many months for the drunk UK guy whom decapitated a women’s leg few weeks ago when DUI ?