Drink drive limit in Taiwan

Her leg had a head? :astonished:

Was that in Taiwan? I didn’t hear about that.

[quote=“Super Hans”]Her leg had a head? :astonished:

Was that in Taiwan? I didn’t hear about that.[/quote]

Sorry - my Engrish is not so good.
It was in Apple daily today (yeah :eh: )- revealing the identity of the bloke which was not made public before it seems.
Guess they made it a bad-foreigner story when he had to go to court. (he is bad if he DUI’s for sure)
The incident happened a few weeks ago in Taipei-Shien .The woman was standing behind an Ambulance (picking up a victim of an earlier accident) while the bloke missed a curve or so.
The leg became kip-kap - and if you’re Dutch you know what it means :slight_smile:

Where did you hear this? I have never heard of a foreigner going to jail for a DUI. I hear they give you a fine. And what of somebody who lightly injured somebody before this legislation was passed?[/quote]
The amendment was passed earlier today. Sounds like jail time for pretty much ANY DUI now. I don’t know if its retroactive. Report didn’t say.[/quote]
Sorry to say this, but I just can’t believe that every DUI will wind up in a jail sentence; Especially the minor ones.

I have a reason for posting the hypothetical story that I posted above. That is because it happened close to home. I heard from the police station that this happened 7 times last year. What I was told that the people in similar situations received fines and or community service. There is also a possibility that they will take away the license.

Where did you hear this? I have never heard of a foreigner going to jail for a DUI. I hear they give you a fine. And what of somebody who lightly injured somebody before this legislation was passed?[/quote]
The amendment was passed earlier today. Sounds like jail time for pretty much ANY DUI now. I don’t know if its retroactive. Report didn’t say.[/quote]
Sorry to say this, but I just can’t believe that every DUI will wind up in a jail sentence; Especially the minor ones.[/quote]Why are you sorry? I don’t give a shit – I’m just telling you the latest news. Take it or leave it. No skin off my nose!

I think you have misread the amendment, it specifies 1-7 years where drunk driving results in death, 6 months - 5 years where it results in serious injury or a fine up to $200k for general DUI cases.

The report I read has 2 years in jail or a 200k fine. I haven’t seen what the actual amendment says. Of course it could be completely different to what the reporter wrote.

[quote=“ceevee369”][quote=“Super Hans”]Her leg had a head? :astonished:

Was that in Taiwan? I didn’t hear about that.[/quote]

Sorry - my Engrish is not so good.
It was in Apple daily today (yeah :eh: )- revealing the identity of the bloke which was not made public before it seems.
Guess they made it a bad-foreigner story when he had to go to court. (he is bad if he DUI’s for sure)
The incident happened a few weeks ago in Taipei-Shien .The woman was standing behind an Ambulance (picking up a victim of an earlier accident) while the bloke missed a curve or so.
The leg became kip-kap - and if you’re Dutch you know what it means :-)[/quote]
The driver is a local. I just saw his photo.

The report I read has 2 years in jail or a 200k fine. I haven’t seen what the actual amendment says. Of course it could be completely different to what the reporter wrote.[/quote]
Those consequneces are nowhere near what I have heard other foreigners have gotten or what the police officer mentioned the case that I am aware of.

The report I read has 2 years in jail or a 200k fine. I haven’t seen what the actual amendment says. Of course it could be completely different to what the reporter wrote.[/quote]
Those consequneces are nowhere near what I have heard other foreigners have gotten or what the police officer mentioned the case that I am aware of.[/quote]
The amendment was only passed on Tuesday, that’s probably why.

I am hoping on: 1. The accident wasn’t serious and nobody was seriously injured. The bikes weren’t even damaged. 2. The driver at fault was not seriously over the miminum limit for drunk driving here. 3. A fine and or community service is what they said the punishment would likely be. 4. All this ocurred a week before the legislation was passed :pray: .

Drunk driving and involved in an accident? With new legislation just passed AFTER the cops (who don’t, of course, know jack shit) told you what to expect? And a poor brave firefighter – a WOMAN, to boot!!! – had her leg amputated after being hit by a drunken driver and getting all over the press and TV and all? They’re LOOKING for people to make examples of right now, make NO mistake about that at ALL!

Consider this … limit at normal road side check 0.05 … limit if involved in accident, at fault or not with injuries/death … 0 (zero) … you’d be arrested and taken to police precinct (you have the right to ask for FAP presence) … you have the right to keep quite, the right to get a lawyer … to make a phone call

I know nothing about this incident. Was it a hit and run?

I know nothing about this incident. Was it a hit and run?[/quote]
The victim was attending at a car accident on (I believe) a bridge between Taipei and Sanchung when she was knocked down by a drunk fellow. Not sure if he tried to run – I think he actually got out of his car and started shouting at the people on the road. Anyway, the kid was only a youngster and her leg was shattered so badly it had to be amputated.
Caused an outcry among the public and in the press, which is the direct reason for the new law. You can expect little leniency in any kind of DUI case, I’d say.

I like the ads on the MRT at the moment warning against DUI - “Drunk Under Influence”. Made me smile on the way to work yesterday.

The victim was attending at a car accident on (I believe) a bridge between Taipei and Sanchung (Sanchong) when she was knocked down by a drunk fellow. Not sure if he tried to run – I think he actually got out of his car and started shouting at the people on the road. Anyway, the kid was only a youngster and her leg was shattered so badly it had to be amputated.
Caused an outcry among the public and in the press, which is the direct reason for the new law. You can expect little leniency in any kind of DUI case, I’d say.[/quote]
Yikes :astonished: ! But isn’t there a law under which they could get the guy for his wreckless driving, if the DUI laws weren’t stiff enough? And why would somebody who didn’t seriously injure anybody get the treatment that guy deserved?

[quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”]
Yikes :astonished: ! But isn’t there a law under which they could get the guy for his wreckless driving, if the DUI laws weren’t stiff enough? And why would somebody who didn’t seriously injure anybody get the treatment that guy deserved?[/quote]

You’re right. It’s not wrong to do something if nobody was hurt.

And then you’ll be let go but you won’t be able to leave the country unless you are very smart, you have connections or you have a canoe and a lot of balls. I doubt that you’d be arrested - Taiwanese police don’t know how to make arrests. You’d more likely be persuaded to go down to the police station if and when they discover they have absolutely no choice but to deal with the matter.

The victim was attending at a car accident on (I believe) a bridge between Taipei and Sanchung (Sanchong) when she was knocked down by a drunk fellow. Not sure if he tried to run – I think he actually got out of his car and started shouting at the people on the road. Anyway, the kid was only a youngster and her leg was shattered so badly it had to be amputated.
Caused an outcry among the public and in the press, which is the direct reason for the new law. You can expect little leniency in any kind of DUI case, I’d say.[/quote]
Yikes :astonished: ! But isn’t there a law under which they could get the guy for his wreckless driving, if the DUI laws weren’t stiff enough? And why would somebody who didn’t seriously injure anybody get the treatment that guy deserved?[/quote]
Oh, I dunno really. Driving under the influence, maybe? I guess they have the feeling that if the guy hadn’t been drunk, he wouldn’t have hit anybody? Same as pretty much anyplace else, no?
I have no idea what you’ll get. Just filling you in on what’s going on right now and pointing out that now, of all times, is probably not the best time to be facing ANY kind of DUI (if there ever WAS a good time for such a thing). You’ve been very naughty at a time when there’s a great deal of very public sensitivity about your brand of naughtiness, which means I think there’s a better-than-average chance that you’re going to find yourself paying dearly for that drink, that’s all. I suppose you could always try telling the judge how unfair you think it all is, but honestly? I don’t think he’ll take kindly to that, either.