Drink drive limit in Taiwan

[quote=“Abacus”][quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”]
Yikes :astonished: ! But isn’t there a law under which they could get the guy for his wreckless driving, if the DUI laws weren’t stiff enough? And why would somebody who didn’t seriously injure anybody get the treatment that guy deserved?[/quote]

You’re right. It’s not wrong to do something if nobody was hurt.[/quote]
Well there is the issue that maybe somebody could damage something and of course preventative issues to think about. However, I think it would be insulting to the person who had their leg amputated that their perpetrator got the same sentence as somebody who didn’t hurt anybody.

[quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”][quote=“Abacus”][quote=“Whole Lotta Lotta”]
Yikes :astonished: ! But isn’t there a law under which they could get the guy for his wreckless driving, if the DUI laws weren’t stiff enough? And why would somebody who didn’t seriously injure anybody get the treatment that guy deserved?[/quote]

You’re right. It’s not wrong to do something if nobody was hurt.[/quote]
Well there is the issue that maybe somebody could damage something and of course preventative issues to think about. However, I think it would be insulting to the person who had their leg amputated that their perpetrator got the same sentence as somebody who didn’t hurt anybody.[/quote]

same crime

Sought legal advise today. They said that the perpetrator would not be facing a jail sentence and the fine would likely not be the full amount since: 1. Nobody was seriously injured at the accident. 2. The law has not gone into effect yet and is not retroactive. But he also said that he didn’t have much other advise since I didn’t have a paper with the perpetrator’s sentence handed to me by the police. He didn’t think the perpetrator had all that much to worry about, but couldn’t say what to do next until there was a sentencing paper handed out by the courts :idunno: .

Does anyone have a link to the actual legislation? All I can find is newspaper reports and out of date websites.

I have an update on this now. The perpetrator hadn’t heard anything for a while and so decided to buy a scooter for himself. Meanwhile, he had also received a letter telling him to appear at the county prosecutor’s office on Jan 6th over minor bodily harm (scraped knees) that was caused by the incident. While he was having his papers processed to legally purchase the scooter, his legal problems came up in the wash. He couldn’t buy the scooter and put it in his name. It was also found out that the amount of his fine would be blah, blah, blah, thousand NT. However, the scraped knee girls are pressing charges against him :aiyo: and he has an appearance in court on January 6th.
What I want to know is if there is a way for him to pay the fine before January 6th, so he can just go ahead and buy the damn scooter. And is there a way to stop the scraped knee :unamused: plaintiffs form interfering in this :ponder: ?

Last weekend I got pulled over on my scooter at night for having my rear light not working (right, the cop chose to enforce that offense while everyone else was driving at 90km/h on Roosevelt Road :loco: ). Anyway, he also seized the opportunity to make me blow in the alcohol measuring thingy as I told him I had a beer, and the result was: “It’s ok you only have 0.5, the limit is 1.8, you can go, have a good night.”

1.8? Really?? :astonished:

[quote=“Kawa”]Last weekend I got pulled over on my scooter at night for having my rear light not working (right, the cop chose to enforce that offense while everyone else was driving at 90km/h on Roosevelt Road :loco: ). Anyway, he also seized the opportunity to make me blow in the alcohol measuring thingy as I told him I had a beer, and the result was: “It’s ok you only have 0.5, the limit is 1.8, you can go, have a good night.”

1.8? Really?? :astonished:[/quote]

I thought since about 2013 that it was illegal to operate a vehicle starting at 0.03 percent. I do know that 1.8 is 100% not correct. That cop probably felt that you weren’t drunk enough and didn’t want to deal with you. Anyway, you were lucky. Get a cab next time. I love drinking beer, but it’s not worth getting in trouble or injuring yourself or someone else.

I don’t think so, my (Taiwanese) wife was with me and he took time to explain her all the possible fines I could get depending on the test result.

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Kawa”]Last weekend I got pulled over on my scooter at night for having my rear light not working (right, the cop chose to enforce that offense while everyone else was driving at 90km/h on Roosevelt Road :loco: ). Anyway, he also seized the opportunity to make me blow in the alcohol measuring thingy as I told him I had a beer, and the result was: “It’s ok you only have 0.5, the limit is 1.8, you can go, have a good night.”

1.8? Really?? :astonished:[/quote]

I thought since about 2013 that it was illegal to operate a vehicle starting at 0.03 percent. I do know that 1.8 is 100% not correct. That cop probably felt that you weren’t drunk enough and didn’t want to deal with you. Anyway, you were lucky. Get a cab next time. I love drinking beer, but it’s not worth getting in trouble or injuring yourself or someone else.[/quote]

They use BrAC here, not BAC like in the West.

The limit is in Taiwan is 0.15 mg/L.
Roughly equivalent to 0.05% BAC.
Which is pretty low, but becoming more and more standard across N. America.

That “you only have 0.5, the limit is 1.8” business bears no relation to any system at all.

Here were my points in starting this thread:

1. So people would discuss the laws and know their rights.
  2. I was lucky to get off as eaily as I did. Had this happened now, I might be deported.
  3. It isn’t worth injuring another person just because I wanted to drink. The guilt wasn’t worth it.

[quote=“Rocket”]The limit is in Taiwan is 0.15 mg/L.
Roughly equivalent to 0.05% BAC.[/quote]

Thanks for the precision. So I guess I had 0.05mg/L and he said the limit was 0.18 instead of 0.15?

Still, how can a policeman be wrong on this?

[quote=“Kawa”][quote=“Rocket”]The limit is in Taiwan is 0.15 mg/L.
Roughly equivalent to 0.05% BAC.[/quote]

Thanks for the precision. So I guess I had 0.05mg/L and he said the limit was 0.18 instead of 0.15?
[/quote]

Maybe.
Pretty sure 0.05mg/L would be less than a liqueur chocolate.

I was watching the news on BusTV yesterday, and they were doing a story on the DUI system.
They grilled up some BBQ sausage, the ones that have kaoliang in them.
This young lady ate one, and after, she blew.

The readout was 15.06 (that’s 0.1506 mg/L, just to make things even more confusing, their breathalyzer boxes actually read out measurement in whatever it is when you shove the decimal over 2 places), which put her over the limit.
:loco:

[quote=“Rocket”]I was watching the news on BusTV yesterday, and they were doing a story on the DUI system.
They grilled up some BBQ sausage, the ones that have kaoliang in them.
This young lady ate one, and after, she blew.

The readout was 15.06 (that’s 0.1506 mg/L, just to make things even more confusing, their breathalyzer boxes actually read out measurement in whatever it is when you shove the decimal over 2 places), which put her over the limit.
:loco:[/quote]

Welcome to Taiwan! Haha. Yeah so just don’t drink and drive. It isn’t how it used to be here. Cabs are so cheap here anyway, so just starting taking them even if you know you will only drink 1. Also if you get into any kind of fender bender here the police automatically breathalyze both parties. Years ago I accidentally knocked the bumper off of a newer Honda Civic that was actually parked illegally. I just swiped the car going about 2 kilometers an hour. My fault, but he was parked illegally. Anyway, I called the cops and they instantly gave me a breathalyzer. It was at 11am in the morning too. Luckily was was sober, haha. Oh and I had to pay for the bumper repair while the other guy just got a 600nt ticket for parking illegally. :loco: