Drinking distilled and reverse osmosis water

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Dude, I dunno what kind of what they have where you’re from, but where I come from, Chlorine is only ever used in swimming pools…[/quote]Sure about that?

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]I dunno about how true that is, but it seems like Chlorine will give you cancer, so there you go…[/quote]Well, as you’d expect, drinking water authorities provide lots of reassuring-sounding information:
water.org.uk/home/policy/positions/chlorine
dwi.gov.uk/pubs/chlorine/index.htm

But in any case, I don’t like the taste of chlorinated water, and always used to use a Brita or similar water filter in the UK.

Well, I grew up on the country side and we had our on well, so nothing nasty on that water, apart from some Chernobyl radiation :smiley:
I guess it’s different when you grow up on the country side, but even Uppsala (closest big city I lived near) doesn’t use that as they get their water from some source that’s been filtered through the bedrock, at least that’s what I was told in college…
The water in the UK is just pure nasty, used a Brita there too, or drank expensive bottled stuff.
At one place I worked it was like pouring a glass of milk… :sick: No filtering in the world was going to fix that…

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]The water in the UK is just pure nasty, used a Brita there too, or drank expensive bottled stuff.
At one place I worked it was like pouring a glass of milk… :sick: No filtering in the world was going to fix that…[/quote]What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger! :wink:

i like distilled water. Its purer isnt it?

scotch and vodka are distilled waters right?

[quote=“tommy525”]I like distilled water. Its purer isnt it?[/quote]Actual distilled water (not filtered/purified but really distilled) doesn’t taste very good to me. And some people say it’s not very good for you, either, as it doesn’t have the minerals that other water does.

well, add a bit of sea salt to your food then. all the minerals you need, in the right proportion.

distilled water has its main bonus, as does RO water, from removing all those minerals that you DON’T need. we’re talking arsenate, chromate, selenate, lead, cadmium, antimony, vanadium, etc, as well as a whole host of organic ions, and organic non-ionised material in the water. get rid of the chloramine, get rid of the benzopyrenes, get rid of the dioxins, get rid of the bischlorophenyls, that are the unfortunate byproduct of water running through old pipes after falling through a filthy industrial sky, or are purposely put there to sterilise the water… boiling the water from the tap will remove the chlorine and some of the dissolved organics, but does nothing about the inorganic ion load. it does sterilise the water, though, so there are no bugs in it.

all this scare mongering about hyponatremia is simply rubbish, i have to say. hyponatremia is perhaps a concern if you drink many litres of ANY fresh water, even tap water, doesn’t have to be distilled water, without replacing the salt, as occurs in ecstasy-driven thirst (osmotic water overload in the brain from urinary loss of sodium is about the only reason that people die from ecstasy short of frank overdose), or if you live a long time in salt-deficient areas and sweat excessively with minimal sodium replacement (as a vegetarian no-salt eating traveller along the Kokoda track discovered recently). if you eat normally, then hyponatremia is of absolutely no concern at all, BP, especially if you actually eat some food during the day.

and this whole idea of drinking as much water as possible, rather than as directed by your activity and by thirst, is also a crock of shit cooked up by weater companies trying to sell you more water… companies like Coca Cola. a far more pressing concern than hyponatremia (loss of sodium til it falls below the limits necessary for correct nerve function in the brain) is hypokalemia (loss of potassium til it falls below the level required for correct function of nerves, and more importantly, heart muscle).

hypokalemia is a far more insidious matter, as the dietary sources of potassium are fewer than for sodium. as there is far more sodium in the body than potassium, the kidneys can handle the sodium balance far more easily, even though you unavoidably lose some sodium with each mL of urine made. problem with the potassium is that it is lost in much the same way: unavoidably losing some in each drop of urine, despite the body’s best efforts to retain it. this means that potassium is generally depleted far faster than sodium, and a secondary problem is the role of potassium in the repolarisation phase of the heart beat.

for this reason. many cardiologists lament the worried person with high blood pressure that fronts up to their offices with the inevitable bottle of drinking water… how much do you drink? five litres a day> then you’re hypokalemic, and that leads to water retention, and that leads to kidney malfunction and that leads to a heart attack. that’s not a popular viewpoint on the standard lay persons webpages, though, and water companies try to quash that kind of opinion where they can, and raise all sorts of counter rubbish. a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

thanks for that

urodacus, are you a scientist or something? me is very impressed with your level of knowledge :notworthy:

i am/was

on the other hand, i don’t know enough about glottal stops, the development of the fishing industry in canada in the 1870s, the rise of the unsecured hedge fund as a staple of the derivatives industry, the use of the comma in late mediaeval German poetry, boat design of the late Phoenician period, the geography of the outer Hebrides, modes of identification of the inner persona with the created idea of a societal entity, Peruvian food preparation before Columbus, family relationships among New York Italian migrants in the Prohibition era, difficulties encountered in attempts to recreat ancient chinese silk dying techniques, how to relacquer a Japanese footstool to restore mould damage, or the economics of the tulip industry in Holland in the 1700s.

there is not enough time.

1 Like

[quote=“urodacus”]I am/was

on the other hand, I don’t know enough about glottal stops, the development of the fishing industry in canada in the 1870s, the rise of the unsecured hedge fund as a staple of the derivatives industry, the use of the comma in late mediaeval German poetry, boat design of the late Phoenician period, the geography of the outer Hebrides, modes of identification of the inner persona with the created idea of a societal entity, Peruvian food preparation before Columbus, family relationships among New York Italian migrants in the Prohibition era, difficulties encountered in attempts to recreat ancient Chinese silk dying techniques, how to relacquer a Japanese footstool to restore mould damage, or the economics of the tulip industry in Holland in the 1700s.

there is not enough time.[/quote]

I want to have your children. :smiley:

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“TheLostSwede”]The water in the UK is just pure nasty, used a Brita there too, or drank expensive bottled stuff.
At one place I worked it was like pouring a glass of milk… :sick: No filtering in the world was going to fix that…[/quote]What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger! :wink:[/quote]

Very Brit! I remember my father saying that when we were living in a house he was renovating and a part of the back end of the house collapsed and there was snow on my bedroom floor. Made it much easier to get to the outhouse, though.

The water is very different in the south of England. Tastes baaaad and is bad for washing your hair in. Furs up everything with limescale.

In North Cheshire/Southern Derbyshire, it tastes unbelievably good. Buxton Spring!

[quote=“urodacus”]I am/was

on the other hand, I don’t know enough about glottal stops, the development of the fishing industry in canada in the 1870s, the rise of the unsecured hedge fund as a staple of the derivatives industry, the use of the comma in late mediaeval German poetry, boat design of the late Phoenician period, the geography of the outer Hebrides, modes of identification of the inner persona with the created idea of a societal entity, Peruvian food preparation before Columbus, family relationships among New York Italian migrants in the Prohibition era, difficulties encountered in attempts to recreat ancient Chinese silk dying techniques, how to relacquer a Japanese footstool to restore mould damage, or the economics of the tulip industry in Holland in the 1700s.

there is not enough time.[/quote]

Now you’re just showing off :no-no: