Driver's license recognition pacts signed with 8 US states: MOFA

Yes I can personally confirm this. I had the same situation and was able to get both car and motorcycle license converted (I have no cc restriction in Taiwan). First, you have to go to AIT and pay 50usd for their notary service to validate your license. On the sheet write that you have a motorcycle endorsement (class C and M) and write something about previously riding a big cc bike in the US. After you get the notarized document you need to go do the health check. You can do both health checks at once (it’s cheaper, same tests but different forms). Finally, you go to the motor vehicle location north of Sun Yat Sen MRT to get the license made (don’t go to any others, I tried). Total it cost about 1000 NT plus the $50usd notary service. I did it all in the same day (last Thursday) and got 6 years of validity since my ARC is valid for more than 1 year. Depending on your Chinese level, you may want to bring someone to help.

Hope that helps![/quote]

This is absolutely perfect…thank you!. Three quick questions…where do you go for the health checks? Will they have the forms or do you download them first? They let you keep your TX license, right? Thanks again!

[quote=“squall1”]
This is absolutely perfect…thank you!. Three quick questions…where do you go for the health checks? Will they have the forms or do you download them first? They let you keep your TX license, right? Thanks again![/quote]

1. I went to 臺北市立聯合醫院中興院區 (you can plug that in google maps) for the health check because it is near my house, but I believe there are a number of hospitals that can perform the check.
  2. I downloaded and printed the forms from their website, but the workers at the hospital said the forms were weird and used their own instead ha.
  3. Yes, you certainly keep your TX license. Some photocopies will be made along the way but thats it. In fact, my Taiwan license is valid longer than my TX license (due to having over a year left on my ARC).

As a side note, I pick up my new scooter tomorrow! :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to some motorized mobility again. (Sadly I just couldn’t justify buying a big bike, though I did consider it)

Any update for California driver’s license?

thb.gov.tw/TM/Files/North_America.pdf
Looks like California allows Taiwan license:
"The state of
California permits
holders of foreign DL
to drive in the state "

But does Taiwan allow California driver’s license yet?

I just wonder if North American rental car agencies will require the IDL even if the state does not require it for example California.

Just to follow up, I followed the procedure outlined by OP and everything went well. Except, you need to do a separate affidavit that you write out yourself stating you are able to drive a big bike (red plate) and your license is valid for that. You do that via the generic form the AIT website supplies. I actually printed this form, they replaced it with another form not on their website that had all the fields already in place for a standard car license. I mistakenly thought this was enough. You must make the additional statement regarding the big bike classification on the generic form and have that notarized. Not sure if you can use one form for both license types

So now I have a car and 250cc scooter license (yeah that’s weird) and need to go back to AIT to do the other form if I want to upgrade the 250cc to red plate. Hope this saves some the aggravation, I wish I had paid closer attention to the OP. :slight_smile:

Hey Cadmium/Squall, I live in Taichung and came upon this thread after getting my Texas license notarized at AIT. I’m pretty frustrated because I had to take a day off to go up to Taipei already and now it looks like I need to go again. My Taichung DMV said no go on the big bikes. If I go back to AIT what exactly is the form I need? I asked them if my original notarized form would be okay for the big bike license and they said it would. I’m just afraid I’ll jump through the hoops and pay more and still get a no. Thanks for any insight you can offer.

[quote=“fh2000”]Any update for California driver’s license?

"The state of
California permits
holders of foreign DL
to drive in the state "

But does Taiwan allow California driver’s license yet?[/quote]

I just went to get my IDL stamped but the lady behind the counter said I can just use my CA license to drive here. It is not able to be converted to a local license though.

[quote=“mrjake”][quote=“fh2000”]Any update for California driver’s license?

"The state of
California permits
holders of foreign DL
to drive in the state "

But does Taiwan allow California driver’s license yet?[/quote]

I just went to get my IDL stamped but the lady behind the counter said I can just use my CA license to drive here. It is not able to be converted to a local license though.[/quote]

I received my 普通小型車 license last month. Before I came back, I went to Los Angeles Teco office to apply for a notarized letter and stamp, for my California driver license.

To apply for a Taiwan license here, I went to a certified hospital first for a physical and presented them 2 pieces of photo. Basically, they checked my eyes, ears, and asked me to stretch and squat down and up.

I then went to 監理站 to show them my ID, California license, notarized letter, physical result, 1 photo that is identical to the photo on physical, and maybe my passport (can’t remember now). I am a dual citizen, so not sure if that matters. Few minutes later, they gave me my Taiwan license. No tests required.

Colorado was added to the list last week!! :discodance:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2016/06/25/2003649441

[quote=“Yang Gui Zi”]Colorado was added to the list last week!! :discodance:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2016/06/25/2003649441[/quote]

Arizona was recently too. :bravo:

Here are the 19 States now. Maryland, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Colorado, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, Oregon, Arizona, Alabama, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Nevada and Tennessee.

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Yang Gui Zi”]Colorado was added to the list last week!! :discodance:

Here are the 19 States now. Maryland, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Colorado, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, Oregon, Arizona, Alabama, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Nevada and Tennessee.[/quote]

Two posts above, someone was able to use their California license to get a Taiwanese one, but California isn’t on this list. The poster mentioned s/he was a dual citizen so I’m going to assume that’s why. Does anyone know anything different for California DL holders?

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”][quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Yang Gui Zi”]Colorado was added to the list last week!! :discodance:

Here are the 19 States now. Maryland, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Colorado, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, Oregon, Arizona, Alabama, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Nevada and Tennessee.[/quote]

Two posts above, someone was able to use their California license to get a Taiwanese one, but California isn’t on this list. The poster mentioned s/he was a dual citizen so I’m going to assume that’s why. Does anyone know anything different for California DL holders?
[/quote]

I noticed that too…and California isn’t on the list yet. So, I would say it is impossible.

Here is a step by step that a friend supplied me with. It will cost $50 US to get your original State license notarized from AIT and 200nt at the DMV. Also, you are not required to hand in your original license anymore. You can get all this done in one day easily.

Step 1… Go to AIT website and set up an appointment for notarize. When you get there go to the check in window take a number. When your number is called go to the appropriate window and tell them you need your drivers license notarized. They’ll give you a form to fill out. You’ll turn in the form along with your license. Next you go to the cashier window and pay for the service. After that you’ll speak to an authorized person and they’ll sign off on the document then you’re go to go. Remember to take a copy of your license or they’ll charge you 30 ntd per copy.

Step 2… Go to your local motor vehicles office they’ll tell you which hospital you go for a physical. (They weight and measure you, check blood pressure and eye sight) after its all done you take your forms and head back to the motor vehicles office.

Step 3… Go to the line for drivers license. In hsinchu office I didn’t have to take a number you just get in line for drivers license. You give them your notarized documents and show them your ARC or a Taiwanese ID, passport. You pay a small feed and they give you the license.

** you will need 4 or 5 1" photos of yourself. 2 for your physical at the hospital and 2 for the motor vehicles office. Most of the time hospitals or the DMV will have photo booths.

[quote=“rk1951”]Here is a step by step that a friend supplied me with. It will cost $50 US to get your original State license notarized from AIT and 200nt at the DMV. Also, you are not required to hand in your original license anymore. You can get all this done in one day easily.

Step 1… Go to AIT website and set up an appointment for notarize. When you get there go to the check in window take a number. When your number is called go to the appropriate window and tell them you need your drivers license notarized. They’ll give you a form to fill out. You’ll turn in the form along with your license. Next you go to the cashier window and pay for the service. After that you’ll speak to an authorized person and they’ll sign off on the document then you’re go to go. Remember to take a copy of your license or they’ll charge you 30 ntd per copy.

Step 2… Go to your local motor vehicles office they’ll tell you which hospital you go for a physical. (They weight and measure you, check blood pressure and eye sight) after its all done you take your forms and head back to the motor vehicles office.

Step 3… Go to the line for drivers license. In Hsinchu office I didn’t have to take a number you just get in line for drivers license. You give them your notarized documents and show them your ARC or a Taiwanese ID, passport. You pay a small feed and they give you the license.

** you will need 4 or 5 1" photos of yourself. 2 for your physical at the hospital and 2 for the motor vehicles office. Most of the time hospitals or the DMV will have photo booths.[/quote]

Thanks much for that. The state where I have my driver’s license just signed a recognition pact and so I renewed (just so happened it was about to expire and luckily I could renew on line). Received it in the mail from my dad a few days ago. I’m ready to do this!

Just got my Canadian license changed over to Taiwan’s today. I wrote a self declaration like some of you did for the big bike license, and the manager came out and insisted I had to apply to Canada for a paper from the motorcycle driving school I completed over a decade ago to prove I had over 43 hours of schooling on a bike. He said the self declaration could be faked. The guy was a real tool so I ended up getting loud at the end.
And because he transferred my Canadian license to the car and scooter one today, they said I can’t get the big bike license later since my license is already surrendered to them. He said, you can wait a year and take the test like everyone else. I was fuming.

I’ve filed a formal complaint about this but doubt they will care.

Why did you need to give up your Canadian license?

Yup, they took the Canadian one, told me I can’t have two licences.

Wow, I don’t think that’s supposed to happen. They didn’t take my US license, anyway, what’s to stop you from simply getting a new Canadian license. Another amazing bout of Taiwanese logic.

I told them I will just get another when I go back. Yes, stupid logic.

Just got a call about my complaint.

Now they want me to get the driving school certificate from Canada along with a translation by a Canadian Chinese institute to proceed.

I’ve demanded the relevant regulation to be emailed to me.