Driver's license recognition pacts signed with 8 US states: MOFA

It was a different world then, but I got my TW license (with no expiry date) by simply having a California one. Just 120nt and a quick doc check on weight and eyes. License was a little book and it had no expiry. Later changed to a card with an expiry. Glad they are coming back with the “no expiry” date ones.

However, those over the age of 70 should have a license good for only 3 years as they should be checked if they are still able to drive. Many an old person has driven a car when he/she should not have (in the USA ) and caused death and injury to themselves and others.

I’m confused about the whole “permission to stay more than one year” requirement. It says that everywhere but my wife called the DMV and they said a one year ARC is OK.

I went back to get a masters degree last year and lost my JFRV ( I’m starting over on a work ARC and will convert it back to JFRV this year via the work permit loophole).

Has anyone with a regular ARC gotten a local license?

Also, if you really do need more than one year residence to get a local license then how is someone on an ARC supposed to legally drive?

I need to drive to work each day or my 40 min commute would be 90+ minutes each way.

Warning! For my particular state, you need to take the written test.

They gave me a handout with the list of states and the different requirements. There must be a website where you can access this, but I’m so thoroughly pissed off by all the running around this morning (only to be told this bad news) that I’m not in the mood to search for it.

Someone please let me know if what they told me was bullshit. Interestingly, for my state, it is marked “Yes” under whether I can use the driver’s license from my state, and the note states that “long-term residents need to take the written test and have an eye exam.” Don’t know what to make of all that additional info.

It seems like it’d probably just be easier to take the test(s) and have done with it, rather than all this faffing about to get a foreign license recognized. It’s not like the Taiwanese test is difficult, expensive or requires you to wait x number of months while taking y number of classes before you can do it (unlike the tests in Canada or the UK).

For my particular situation, the timing was such that not long after the agreement was reached with my state, my US driver’s license was about to expire and my US passport needed to be renewed. I figured that with all this renewing, paperwork, etc., might as well take an additional step or two and I would be on my way.

I plan on taking the written test now. I have my driver’s license notarized already!

For reference, “my particular state” would be?

Nevada. My parents retired there. But the point really is to check the website and look for any particular conditions for your particular state: The same pact is not being signed with every state.

Has California showed up on this list yet? My uni students assure me that I can walk into the Motor Vehicle Department with my CA license and, of course other forms of I.D., and apply for a 50 cc scooter license. Anybody know if this is correct?