Driving at 400+ on a German motorway is ok!

Some say that what guns are to Americans is the lack of speed limits to Germans :man_shrugging:

(Maybe someone should start a thread titled “It’s ok to bring a loaded shotgun to a classroom in the US!” and watch the reactions and then compare to this thread :whistle: )

Well… 400 is silly and surely unnecessary. But at least they played it (relatively) safe by driving on a very early morning with virtually no traffic, and in an area with extremely good visibility ahead.

Some silly nitpicks from me:

1. The Autobahn A2 where they obviously drove is nowhere near Wittenberg (the town where Luther nailed his thesis on some church, starting a whole lot of Christian troubles). Wittenberg is like 1 hour driving away from the A2. It seems they just claimed this bullshit for religious reasons: they are proud to be “SDA Christian’s” (SIC).

2. They did break a law: The Rechtsfahrgebot (Drive-on-the right-rule). By driving solely on the left of 3 lanes, they didn’t keep as far right as required (at least middle lane). But they could only be fined if they hinder anyone. So I guess it’s forgivable, because at 400 km/h they are not a “Mittelspurschleicher” (slow-driving-middle-lane-lurker) per se, and they (probably) did not hinder anyone that wanted to go faster.

3 Likes

Regarding “Rechtsfahrgebot” (drive-on-the-right-side-rule on highways) …

Is there any reason, why this rule isn’t enforced in Taiwan ?
I am sure strictly obeying that rule would certainly lower freeway-accidents in Taiwan.

And yes, which harsh violation tickets (eg 3.000 NT$) it can be possible (even in Taiwan with this ridicolous driving habits)

1 Like

Or, like 5 minutes in a Bugatti. :rofl:

I think it is because noone cares. In my five years on this beautiful island I’ve never seen the police enforcing traffic rules.

6 Likes

We used to have a Nissan that would go up to 230 km/h. I went from Han(n)over to Bremen real fast. It was very empty that day and no speed limit. But you can see the fuel gauge dropping.
:money_with_wings:

2 Likes

It’s more fuel efficient to drive slower…

I don’t know of any tracks where you could approach 400 km/h, even in a Bugatti.

You need a pretty decent length of straight to wind up to that speed.

I’ve done over 250 km/h quite a few times on a racetrack (no idea of the exact speed because no speedo on race bikes), and even faster on long deserted roads. Life is different on the other side of 200!

I’m glad there are still places that allow such excitement. It’s not for everyone, to be sure, but don’t knock it just because it makes you feel scared or somehow infringed.

2 Likes

I’ve been pulled over on the freeway five times
And motos get
The occasional right turn on red
But yeah pretty lax enforcement

True that except this private course

Not me, and that is exactly because of those Schumacher wannabes.

2 Likes

If you’re in the correct lane they will just pass you and give you lots of space, if your travelling faster than someone they will give way to you. Most of the idiot drivers don’t have a “D” on their numberplate.

2 Likes

I find it stressful to drive outside cities in Germany. There is always going to be faster cars in your rear mirror with clearly impatient drivers. On the Autobahn, you cannot just remain in the right line all the time, lots of slow trucks to overtake. You overtake, a Porsche or a big Benz will sooner or later sit on on your ass.

1 Like

They will wait patiently behind you, if you’re overtaking slower traffic, when you pull back in to the correct lane then will over take you. if you see a car coming up fast behind you, you should be already looking for the safe place to let it past. this is defiantly the custom there, but I’m not sure if its the law.

Actually it makes more sense for most Germans to either take the train or organized rideshare/hitchhiking to go between cities than drive. Driving is for the rich in Germany.

That has not been my experience. Maybe it has changed since I left years ago? Tailgating felt like a widespread problem in Germany. Flashing lights is illegal in that situation, but I have been on the receiving end countless times. You rarely get that in Taiwan. People rather slalom around you, which is of course illegal as well.

There are more than 48 million cars registered in Germany for around 40 million households. That’s over one car per household - definitely not only the “rich” having cars in Germany…

1 Like

i have only ever seen that when people where hogging the overtaking lanes.

and much more dangerous as you have fast moving traffic on both sides, but siding in the overtaking lanes is more prevalent here so sometimes you have no choice.

I think he meant East Berlin pre November 1980

1 Like

In that case, flashing the lights to indicate intention to overtake is actually perfectly legal as long it’s not used to harass the other party (e.g. repeatedly doing so or driving at an unsafe distance).

To be fair, especially in Berlin, car ownership rates might still be low because parking is quite difficult and public transport very good usually. Outside the cities, however, basically everyone will have a car.

1 Like

I dont know as didn’t do my driving test in Germany, but i never had any problems there, if you are courteous and considerate of other drivers, its a pretty chilled place to drive.