Driving in Taiwan!

Hi!

We have a few individuals in Taiwan who will be there working for a month or perhaps longer.
With the whole COVID situation we were slightly dis-organised and so didn’t get a driving permit sorted before they all left UK. Is there anyway of getting one whilst they are in Taiwan?

Many thanks for your help!

This was discussed in another thread (had a quick look but couldn’t find it)
i think the conclusion is that you have to get them in person at the postoffice in the uk.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/international-driving-permit

GOV.UK

Driving abroad

Check if you need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive abroad on holiday and how to exchange your licence if you move abroad - including driving in the EU after Brexit.

websites attached.

What part of Taiwan are the staying? Could they get a car and driver?
public transport here is quite good (until you get to the countryside)

Ponder this question from the driving test:

True or False: Parking is not allowed at airports, stations, terminals, schools, entertainment, exhibitions, sports, markets or other public places, entrances and fire hydrants.

And the answer is True!

Also this gem:

When driving on an expressway or freeway,

(1) only large vehicles may NOT use the inner lane.
(2) only slow vehicles may NOT use the inner lane.
(3) both large vehicles and slow vehicles may NOT use the inner lane.

…the answer being (3). So who gets to use the inner lane? Or is it just there for display?

2 Likes

Small fast vehicles? :idunno:

Well, driving around without one is technically illegal, but many many people do it for years and get away with it. And even if caught (involved in a crash, for example), most police don’t really seem to care overmuch.

Much is enough.

Better than seeming to care undermuch. That would be weird.

No one should drive in inner lane because it should be used for overtaking only. :idunno:

1 Like

They didn’t say ‘drive’, they said ‘use’. Big difference.

1 Like

So…the outer lane is for undertaking??? :eek:

1 Like

The hard shoulder’s for overtaking silly. Everyone knows that.

1 Like

:crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Where I come from it means the one closest to the Snack Bar…

In Taiwan, it’s the one with faster speed, closer to the incoming vehicles.

That’s true. However, I wonder if they know what IS the difference…

Not anymore for those near to exits:
https://autos.udn.com/autos/story/12168/4320758?utm_source=udnautos&utm_medium=fb&fbclid=IwAR1Gy60PYoJ_g9qoKrfajlMSOSwJCDPDbJHdrRgeuBFRtkS0EIl9T6KOMVw

Hi everyone!

Quick update if anyone is interested…!

I had copies of the individual driving licenses and passports as well as passport photos, and after running around over 12 post offices i was able to obtain them for the individuals without them being there :sweat_smile:

Its a 1949 driving permit for anyone who may be in the same shoes!

:slight_smile: