Driving Licence Requirements

Do you legally have to carry your driving licence on you at all times when driving? I have a local driving licence but it doesn’t fit in my wallet. Can the police just look up your driving licence details if I show them my ARC or NHI card (the ID number being the same)?

Personally I just use a scanned photo. Was enough for when I went to the police station regarding a crash with a scooter that ran a red light…

Got a George wallet, eh?
Top 30 Costanza Wallet GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

I don’t know for sure. Honestly, it’s better to have that just in case. You never know if an individual cop might make a big deal out of you not carrying yours. Maybe a photo will do like comfy said.

That said, I’ve been pulled over only once in 3+ years of driving my scooter regularly. The cops asked for my ARC, which I gave them and then I also gave them my license. They said they didn’t need it. I was worried I’d get into trouble since my ARC number was in the new format but my license was in the old one. I explained it to them and they just didn’t care. They just remarked that I worked far away from home and said they were just giving me a warning.

I do know someone who was ticketed multiple times for not having a license. So, it just makes sense that they can look it up using your ARC number.

I got a new wallet at an evening market. Cheap, fits the license

Leave it in the glove box?

1 Like

My local license is about the size of a credit card, just a bit higher. Did you get a super-sized one?

3 Likes

Mines the same, pretty much credit card sized.

Taiwanese driving licenses have just an inconvenient large size. I fold mine in half (which you shouldn’t do with official documents) to fit into my slim card holder wallet.

Pulled over numerous times in the late 90s / early 2000s. Only asked once for my licence, and was commended for a foreigner taking the time to go through the steps. Then released.

1 Like

Are they released in different sizes? How come mine is just slightly larger than a credit card and thus fits easily into a wallet.

2 Likes

How can anything larger than a credit card fit in your wallet? Do you have larger-than-normal credit card slots in your wallet?

EDIT: Ah, you must have taken the card out of the plastic protector. I wouldn’t do that because the back is exposed paper.

I leave it in my scooter with the registration. I got a ticket for not having it on me after getting a ticket for illegal U-turn.

1 Like

the drivers license is 0,5 cm higher then a credit card.
so it doesn’t fit in my credit card holder…

I would just cut it down (by probably invalidating a legal document), but the printed on information goes all the way to the outer edges (name, validity time, etc.)

scooter license I a also leave in my scooter.
drivers license I need to have on me, sometimes I need to drive other cars too.

In the plastic sleeve it was a bit too big for my wallet, i bought another wallet with pockets behind the credit card slots and it fits there

Without the sleeve it might get wet or damaged, can’t laminate because it seems they might want to write something on the back